• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Shot plenty of these rounds at my old agency and it's a snappy round compared to a 9 or 40. I ended up just buying a .357Sig barrel (ran me around $85) for a .40 I had and the rest was history. You can buy an LE trade-in Glock 22 or 23 for fairly cheap, and probably cheaper in a few months when everyone goes over to 17's and 19's with this FBI study that came out. That way you get the best of both worlds and its probably cheaper than buying a new Glock or Sig in .357Sig.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Shot plenty of these rounds at my old agency and it's a snappy round compared to a 9 or 40. I ended up just buying a .357Sig barrel (ran me around $85) for a .40 I had and the rest was history. You can buy an LE trade-in Glock 22 or 23 for fairly cheap, and probably cheaper in a few months when everyone goes over to 17's and 19's with this FBI study that came out. That way you get the best of both worlds and its probably cheaper than buying a new Glock or Sig in .357Sig.

I'm putting it on a p80 glock lower, not going to buy a whole gun. Not considering buying two barrels for it either. If everyone follows the fbi wave then even better though.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I'm putting it on a p80 glock lower, not going to buy a whole gun. Not considering buying two barrels for it either. If everyone follows the fbi wave then even better though.

Must have missed that part....need more caffeine :D

Most agencies we're training now are going to either the P320 or Glock 17 or 19's in the next 3 years. A lot of agencies don't have the coin to do an extensive study so they will piggy back onto whatever the big agencies do, like FBI, Secret Service, etc. So my guess is relatively soon you'll see a lot of 22's, 23's and 229's on the market at a fairly cheap price.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Nahhh your good on coffee, I dont think I stated that in my initial post. My decision was fluid to begin with. I like to digest what many here have to say most of the time before I pull the trigger on some guns.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    This may really be one of those times where you need to figure out which gun you want and then shoot a few hundred rounds in each caliber. I shoot .40 better than I do .357 Sig, but that's because my department issues the Glock 22 and taught me how to use it.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I started shooting competitively with both 9x23mm and 357Sig. Not that much difference in feel although 9x23 is 124g 1400 FPS 173 PF and 357 Sig is 125g 1350 FPS 169 PF. I liked shooting 357Sig in IDPA because it shot absolutely flat at IDPA target distances. Originally with a factory comped Sig P229 Sport and my HK USP Compact in 357Sig. Later sold the Sig to get an STI built in 9x23mm, and added a 9mm conversion and a .40 factory barrels to the HK for SHTF use (USP-C is about the only gun I know that does not need actual 9mm magazines to shoot 9mm and does not need a recoil spring change either). Still shoot it in IDPA but use the 9mm barrel most of the time these days.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    This may really be one of those times where you need to figure out which gun you want and then shoot a few hundred rounds in each caliber. I shoot .40 better than I do .357 Sig, but that's because my department issues the Glock 22 and taught me how to use it.

I think I would learn to shoot either of them effectively. I've just been glued to 9 and 45 for all these year's. It's time to step outside the box.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I think I would learn to shoot either of them effectively. I've just been glued to 9 and 45 for all these year's. It's time to step outside the box.
    No reason to expand stocked calibers other than you have better finances now and can afford to stock more calibers. If that's the situation go for it. I personally didn't add .357 sig and .40 S&W to my collection until I got phenomenal deals on guns in those calibers. And since they are identical in size and format to my four Glock 17's it took no time to get used to them.

In case you are wondering what a good deal looks like I got a Glock 31 and Glock 22 both Gen 3 in excellent condition for $300 each.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    ... USP-C is about the only gun I know that does not need actual 9mm magazines to shoot 9mm and does not need a recoil spring change either). Still shoot it in IDPA but use the 9mm barrel most of the time these days.

Nice. I have a USP-C 40 and got the 357 Sig barrel after you posted about it. Didn't realize that I could do this for 9mm and not need other changes.

I also like 357 Sig more. Have had Glock 19, Glock 23, and Glock 32 pistols, and my favorite is the Glock 32 because I shoot it best of the three (also got it as a law enforcement trade-in in great shape). After a couple of mags, got rid of the Glock 23 as the 32 filled the niche for me.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    No reason to expand stocked calibers other than you have better finances now and can afford to stock more calibers. If that's the situation go for it. I personally didn't add .357 sig and .40 S&W to my collection until I got phenomenal deals on guns in those calibers. And since they are identical in size and format to my four Glock 17's it took no time to get used to them.

In case you are wondering what a good deal looks like I got a Glock 31 and Glock 22 both Gen 3 in excellent condition for $300 each.

Oh yeah im definitely looking for good deals, my first glocks are going to be out of these p80 lowers. I've already found a good used complete upper for my glock 19 build for just 300 buck's. OEM glock LPK for 50 so that puts me right at 500 for my glock 19 ghost.

And since I ordered 2 lowers I figured I'd build a 40 or 357 sig with the other lower. I am not on a splurging spree I just felt it was time for me to own a glock and it's time for me to learn a new caliber.

300 buck's for the entire gun is amazing deal's though. I don't think ive ever seen a used glock go for 300. Lucky you.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    One side note that I forgot to mention earlier... During the post-Newtown ammo shortage, I could always find .40. There were times when I couldn't get 9mm, .45acp or .22 but bizarrely I could always find .40. Take that anecdote for what it's worth.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    One side note that I forgot to mention earlier... During the post-Newtown ammo shortage, I could always find .40. There were times when I couldn't get 9mm, .45acp or .22 but bizarrely I could always find .40. Take that anecdote for what it's worth.
    This is an excellent point and was another deciding factor in me finally adding .40 & .357 sig

I had a lot of trouble obtaining those same calibers at that time.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico

That is absolutely true.
    .40 could be found relatively easy here when everything else was gone.

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    Bought a .357Sig barrel for my .40 BHP and fell in love with the round. Flat shooting, hard hitting through barriers. I also have a 9mm barrell for this BHP so 3 Calibers to choose from. It becomes my back country gun in .357 mode.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Oh yeah im definitely looking for good deals, my first glocks are going to be out of these p80 lowers. I've already found a good used complete upper for my glock 19 build for just 300 buck's. OEM glock LPK for 50 so that puts me right at 500 for my glock 19 ghost.

And since I ordered 2 lowers I figured I'd build a 40 or 357 sig with the other lower. I am not on a splurging spree I just felt it was time for me to own a glock and it's time for me to learn a new caliber.

300 buck's for the entire gun is amazing deal's though. I don't think ive ever seen a used glock go for 300. Lucky you.
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...&P40+15+1+40S&W+4.25"+w+3+Mags+&+Night+Sights

As law enforcement is moving away from 40 to 9, lots of police trade-in deals are popping up.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    So if my mail buds some cash in an envelope do I get it for 356?

I did kind of always have it in my head that if I got a 40 it would be the M&P. It felt very good in my hand. And fully broke in it should be a sweet shooter yeah?

The m&p was kind've designed for the 40...being a s&w and all. With the front and rear rails tied together and the stiffer polymer, they feel pretty solid and don't have the bendy feel glocks have under recoil. Their trigger can be a little meh, but apex has that covered.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD

Same. .40 was everywhere. Couldn't find 9, 45, 22, or 380

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom