• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Both are really cool, I lean towards the Henry. As much as I like the Ruger, I’d rather have 762x39 in something semiauto. Unless you really like bolt guns of course. Only negatives I’ve heard about the Ruger is of course the proprietary mags. I could be wrong but I don’t believe they’ll take anything other than Ruger mags.

The 7.62x39 will only take the Mini Thirty mags, which is nice if you already own a Mini Thirty and want a bolt action to go with it. Not so nice of you only have the bolt action and then have to drop $40 on a 10 round magazine. Though I do believe it at least comes with a 5 round magazine compared to most of the other models that have 3 or 4 round magazines.

Most of the other Predator and Ranch models take either AI style magazines or AR magazines which is nice but a few do only accept the flush fit magazines from Ruger based on what I saw. The standard models I believe only take the flush fit magazines from Ruger.

That being said Ruger did give me a 20% off coupon for their shop when I registered both my Predator and my 10/22 so you can at least save a little on the magazines.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'd be 100% in for a 7.62x39 RAR if they had an AK mag version. No way I'm investing in Mini-30 mags.

I have a 6.5G RAR that takes AR mags, and it's pretty slick. I don't think I would have bothered if I didn't have an AR that used them, but it's real handy outside of that. You also don't need to mess around with short-action AICS mags, which are either expensive or unreliable. Waiting for Magpul to release a suitable magwell for the Hunter stock to use them!

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I'd be 100% in for a 7.62x39 RAR if they had an AK mag version. No way I'm investing in Mini-30 mags.

I have a 6.5G RAR that takes AR mags, and it's pretty slick. I don't think I would have bothered if I didn't have an AR that used them, but it's real handy outside of that. You also don't need to mess around with short-action AICS mags, which are either expensive or unreliable. Waiting for Magpul to release a suitable magwell for the Hunter stock to use them!

Not taking AK mags is one of the main reasons I opted not to get the 7.62x39 RAR and went with the 6.5 Creedmoor RAP. I don't have any intention (at least now) of buying a Mini Thirty and don't want magazines laying around for something I may not shoot often. At least with the AI magazines I can use them in my RAP and in any other .308 based caliber Americans or 700 action rifles I may buy in the future.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Both are really cool, I lean towards the Henry. As much as I like the Ruger, I’d rather have 762x39 in something semiauto. Unless you really like bolt guns of course. Only negatives I’ve heard about the Ruger is of course the proprietary mags. I could be wrong but I don’t believe they’ll take anything other than Ruger mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They take mini-30 mages but they are a nice tight fit.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    And Howa builds a nice rifle as well. I like all of these 7.62x39 bolt guns; a ton of fun to shoot and economical.

I have a Ruger M77 MII Skeleton stock in 7.62x39 That's pretty sweet.

Attachments

• wm_8372473.jpg
      wm_8372473.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 133

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I will have to admit; the CZ model looks better and is probably built better. But the RAR has more than acceptable accuracy and I like the way the mini-30 mags fit.
    Ruger American rifles, in my limited experience (I have a couple), are terrific given the price point. After a range session today, with both the CZ 527 in 7.62x39 (with a Nikon Monarch 2-10x) and a Ruger American in 300 BLK (with a more basic Nikon 3-9x), I left feeling that I wanted another Ruger American/Predator. More efficient bolt operation with a lower throw.

Targets below were at 100 yards. 1 warmer shot off paper, then 9 shots at the bullseye. Squares are one inch. If I get to subtract one shot from each group, the Ruger American had a pretty decent group, albeit with great ammo. Neither rifle was zeroed to the ammo used today, but were zeroed to similar loads in previous range sessions.

124efe8fe1ac7891d3966fcd88688a35.jpg
    5f7c648268735e14903f89da64048b18.jpg
    313ce565283541f044056e831f029aa5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Ruger American rifles, in my limited experience (I have a couple), are terrific given the price point. After a range session today, with both the CZ 527 in 7.62x39 (with a Nikon Monarch 2-10x) and a Ruger American in 300 BLK (with a more basic Nikon 3-9x), I left feeling that I wanted another Ruger American/Predator. More efficient bolt operation with a lower throw.

Targets below were at 100 yards. 1 warmer shot off paper, then 9 shots at the bullseye. Squares are one inch. If I get to subtract one shot from each group, the Ruger American had a pretty decent group, albeit with great ammo. Neither rifle was zeroed to the ammo used today, but were zeroed to similar loads in previous range sessions.

124efe8fe1ac7891d3966fcd88688a35.jpg
    5f7c648268735e14903f89da64048b18.jpg
    313ce565283541f044056e831f029aa5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The only things holding me back from a Ruger American Predator in 308 is the lack of aftermarket stocks and larger capacity mags. Other than those 2 things, I do like the RAR platform, considering the features you get for the price point.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater