• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Another good one I made again last night, pepper steak.

CHINESE PEPPER STEAK
    1.5 lbs venison steak; sliced thinly and tenderized
    2 green bell peppers; cut into bite-sized pieces
    1 yellow onion; cut into bite-sized pieces
    1 can diced tomatoes; drained
    2 cups water or beef stock
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons corn starch
    4 tablespoons soy sauce

Heat oil in a large skillet until very hot. Add the meat and stir-fry until nicely browned. Add the onion, water or beef stock, garlic salt, and ginger. Bring mixture to a boil, cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the bell peppers, cover, and cook about 5 more minutes, or until the peppers are tender. Add the tomatoes.

Combine the sugar, corn starch, and soy sauce in a bowl and whisk together until well combined. Add this mixture to the meat and pepper mixture and bring to a boil. Continue to cool, uncovered, until the sauce thickens.

Serve over steamed rice.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I finally tried out grilling a couple of deer steaks (from the backstraps) today. Noone in my family hunted when I was growing up and we lived in a city. We didn't have much money for firearms etc either. I gave away all of the meat from deer I had previously harvested because I didn't think I'd like it.

I put some olive oil and some mesquite rub on them before I put them on a low grill. I cooked them for around three minutes each side in a propane grill I got for free earlier this year.

I let them sit for about 5 minutes after I took them off the grill. They kinda looked like sausage patties with grill marks on them. I baked 3 potatoes and cooked some peas to go with them. I ate the potatoes with some butter and sour cream.

The meat was very tender (maybe because they were aged over a week in my fridge). Very beef steak-like. About what I'd imagine Filet Mignon tastes like. Should've taken pics of them (next time).

I have a freezer full of deer meat and looking forward to cooking all of it this winter. I'm still going to try to get 2 or 3 more does before out season ends. I'm going to share the meat with relatives. I don't think they know how to cook it or how good it can taste.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    And if you ever find yourself with more venison than you know what to do with, go to Cabela's and get a jerky gun (for ground), their original jerky seasoning kit, and a dehydrator. You won't be able to make it fast enough to satisfy your friends and family.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Last night I asked my sister if she wanted to try out some backstrap steaks I could bring to her. I could tell over the phone that she didn't like the idea. She said she wouldn't eat "wild meat".

:rolleyes:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Last night I asked my sister if she wanted to try out some backstrap steaks I could bring to her. I could tell over the phone that she didn't like the idea. She said she wouldn't eat "wild meat".

:rolleyes:
    Dump her..
    hA7A48429

And if you ever find yourself with more venison than you know what to do with, go to Cabela's and get a jerky gun (for ground), their original jerky seasoning kit, and a dehydrator. You won't be able to make it fast enough to satisfy your friends and family.
    this is true...I use the high mountain seasoning kits.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The steaks are so tender I'm thinking of making a kind of steak sandwich out of them and adding mushrooms, bacon, cheese etc. to them.

I'm also thinking of making steak tacos with the meat.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Here is one for you to try one day. dry cure or pickle round roasts. Then make glazed hams or simple pastrami from them. You slice it and it can be frozen and pull out in small packs and hang in the fridge for weeks without going bad as finger food. Some guys use the same thing or sandwich meats.

My next thoughts with deer are chorizo this winter and making large type empendas to be like homemade, healthy hot pockets

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I asked my neighbor if he wanted to try any deer meat as steaks. He said his wife didn't eat deer meat or something like that. I said I'd give him a couple of steaks to try out himself.

I think people are conditioned to be wary of wild game meat.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I asked my neighbor if he wanted to try any deer meat as steaks. He said his wife didn't eat deer meat or something like that. I said I'd give him a couple of steaks to try out himself.

I think people are conditioned to be wary of wild game meat.

some just dont know how good it really is. My wife wasnt opposed to it she just didnt know how good it was, and it saved us from buying ground beef at the store. We havent bought ground beef for us to eat for at least 8yrs.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Kinda dumb if you think about it. Deer eat natural things around here like a lot of corn, alfalfa, soy beans etc. Who knows what the animals that supply the meat in all the restaurants ad stores were fed.

Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    All parts of the deer are good, IMO, but certain cuts respond better to various cooking methods and flavors.

Probably my favorite method is cutting meat into cubes (i.e., stew meat) and using a simmer sauce (e.g., Indian Vindaloo) in a dutch oven on the stove. This dish is quick and easy for a weeknight dinner. Serve on top of (Cauliflower) rice.

On weekends, braising or roasting in the oven produces wonderfully tender meals. This process takes a few hours, but it is worth it. Also, reserve the jus. :drool:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    some just dont know how good it really is. My wife wasnt opposed to it she just didnt know how good it was, and it saved us from buying ground beef at the store. We havent bought ground beef for us to eat for at least 8yrs.

My next project is to start making deer hamburger and deer steakburger. I have the grinder but need to get some fresh pork fat from the local butcher. He already said he'd give some to me but I haven't taken him up on it.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I like mine "as-in-life" rare so I cut backstraps as 4-6" roasts. Much harder to overcook this way. Couple shakes of montreal steak seasoning, grill, then belly.

That's just about how I've had my best success with grilling backstraps, and I mean as long as I'm on the ball with watching the grill, they turn out great!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My next project is to start making deer hamburger and deer steakburger. I have the grinder but need to get some fresh pork fat from the local butcher. He already said he'd give some to me but I haven't taken him up on it.

I buy pork fat for $.50 a pound. Lots of times they don't like dealing with it so I but 10# - 20# or more at a time and 1" cube it all and vac pack in 1# - 2# packs or how ever I might mix it. I assume you know about par freezing and grinding fat?

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I do a sort of chicken fried steak. Dry the steaks, mix up some flour salt and pepper, coat the steaks completely. Take a mallet and hit them until they are about 1/2” thick. Coat the steaks with flour again. Put some vegetable oil in a pan and fry about 2.5minutes each side. Take the drippings add flour and milk and it makes a tasty gravy to coat them.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    If you can't find pork fat for sausage/hamburger, sometimes you can find pork bellies. When the butcher shop I use was out of fat, I got a big pack of bellies from Costco and made that work.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I just use bacon. Buy it on sale and keep 10-20 pounds in the freezer. Do about 8-10 pounds deer to 1 pound bacon in my grind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom