• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Bought three boxes of no 8, 2.5” paper hull shells, 16 ga yesterday. 1125 fps, 7/8 oz. wha do you think?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    When I shot trap on a regular basis and reloaded my own, I only used Winchester low brass paper hulls.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I'll bet they're old!

Brand new. Boughtnatbthe vintage shotgun show and shoot in kent co. Manufacturer was there selling. I asked how well they worked and of course they said it was all they ever shot. I never have 16s when i need them, so i bought them. Turqoise blue hulls. Can’t remember the brand.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    When I shot trap on a regular basis and reloaded my own, I only used Winchester low brass paper hulls.
    How does reloading paper differ from plastic? Do you use fiber disc wads instead of plastic shot cups? A friend gave me a box of new Federal shells that I'd like to shoot and reload. Love the smell of fired paper shells!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    How does reloading paper differ from plastic? Do you use fiber disc wads instead of plastic shot cups? A friend gave me a box of new Federal shells that I'd like to shoot and reload. Love the smell of fired paper shells!

They reload just like plastic. I'd have to pull out my recipe book to give you the entire list of components but they are slightly easier that plastic hulls. I also think they pack more uniformly and give you better consistency. But like with any handload, you need to pattern your shot to see exactly how well it performs.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    They reload just like plastic. I'd have to pull out my recipe book to give you the entire list of components but they are slightly easier that plastic hulls. I also think they pack more uniformly and give you better consistency. But like with any handload, you need to pattern your shot to see exactly how well it performs.
    I understand they generate lower pressure so less recoil too? I'd imagine extra care has to be taken with crimping?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Rogers has these on sale for $80 a flat

Attachments

• CB085FB6-8515-4569-BF46-452BFE5B62EA.jpg
      CB085FB6-8515-4569-BF46-452BFE5B62EA.jpg
      49.9 KB · Views: 186

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I understand they generate lower pressure so less recoil too? I'd imagine extra care has to be taken with crimping?

No, if you're reloading and the crimp is there, they seem to just follow the existing crimp. No extra care at all. If anything, I think they crimp easier than a plastic hull.

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    I've found dozens of the rims of paper shells while metal detecting our property. Winchester being the most found. Wasn't aware they were still made.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've found dozens of the rims of paper shells while metal detecting our property. Winchester being the most found. Wasn't aware they were still made.

Back in the early 80's, I was buying once fired paper hulls at the Loch Raven range for a penny a piece. If I were lucky, the guys would throw in the box too.

Anyone remember the reloading shop on Joppa Road? It's long closed, but that's where I'd buy my components and powder. I hated to see the place close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom