• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Now it's neither a need for time to complete the background checks or transmit information by mail. Often, these checks are done in 3-4 days time. But they release the not disapproved, you can get your handgun now email, after the 7th day because that's the letter of the law.

Except when they don't, like this weekend. If you made a purchase and completed paperwork on 6/29/2019, you might not have gotten an email today on 7/6/2019 that it's ok to pick up. Maybe these will come out 7/8/2019 or 7/9/2019.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I was buying guns with snail mail background checks , including from the Schneider Brothers .

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    I believe this is exactly right as I made a private purchase in 1994 and all the CDL etc. stuff was not required. By the time I came back to Maryland in 2001 all of that crap was in place.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    I was buying guns with snail mail background checks , including from the Schneider Brothers .

Then you should know better that to believe its a cooling off period.
    Me I'm before the brothers, George, Weggie, Randy, Tom then Scott and a few others back then.
    Bob was in College and Bill worked for Art Cook with Rick and Otto and Fadden. And Steve was around sometimes. My wife went to HS school with Bobs wife. Its a small world.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Now it is a cooling off or maybe a better description would be a piss on you period. With the HQL, there is no need for any kind of wait a dealer should be able to do a quick computer check to see if you HQL is ok, just like a policeman can check the status of your drivers license.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Now it is a cooling off or maybe a better description would be a piss on you period. With the HQL, there is no need for any kind of wait a dealer should be able to do a quick computer check to see if you HQL is ok, just like a policeman can check the status of your drivers license.

Yes. However, the MSP does do a deeper background check and sometimes does find something. Though rare. From what I understand their deeper background check typically takes 2-4 days depending on when it is conducted (IE longer if it spans a weekend).

Even if it had to happen, it shouldn’t be 7-day wait. It should be as long as it takes to complete the check or 7-days.

If they’d actually set things up properly they’d be doing real-time checks as well as batch checks periodically through various different systems so they’d always have the latest status of your HQL as valid or not and then FFL could also do a quick real-time check and then you are out of there within a seconds of completing your 77r

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When I was a LEO I was certified to operate the NCIC...give me a person's identifiers...name, DOB, race, etc., and I can tell you whether they have a disqualifying criminal history, open arrest warrant within a very few minutes unless the system is down which happens occasionally. Having the applicant's Social Security number makes it even quicker. There's little reason for an approval...excuse me..."non-disapproval"...to justify the seven-day wait other than it's an antiquated law still being followed.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    When I was a LEO I was certified to operate the NCIC...give me a person's identifiers...name, DOB, race, etc., and I can tell you whether they have a disqualifying criminal history, open arrest warrant within a very few minutes unless the system is down which happens occasionally. Having the applicant's Social Security number makes it even quicker. There's little reason for an approval...excuse me..."non-disapproval"...to justify the seven-day wait other than it's an antiquated law still being followed.

True, except that the People’s Republic of Maryland doesn’t report everything to NICS and they want to maintain control over their subjects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    True, except that the People’s Republic of Maryland doesn’t report everything to NICS and they want to maintain control over their subjects.

Not disputing your point but besides NCIC I also accessed Maryland's database for history not provided NCIC...found a number of open warrants on that site as well. The state of Maryland provides the computers...not the FBI...and their system acts as the portal to the NCIC.

But Maryland wanting control over its subjects...spot on.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Back to my OP. Does anyone actually know what the crime is if you fail to transfer it and register in your name? No one has ever been able to answer this for me and I'm not a lawyer

First, the OP and I want to know. (Throw the weight of my name in there for you OP, and we’ll get some action now).

Second...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Not entirely true, they only report the criminal activity, they don't fully report mental health issues or the offenses committed as a minor that prohibit you in MD until you are 30, plus a few other item.

Further NICS is an entirely different animal from NCIC, and the only authorized portal from the State of Maryland to NICS is the Department of Public Safety and Corrections as they are responsible for the databases that get searched in Maryland.

NCIC is accessible for update by all LE agencies in Maryland.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Not entirely true, they only report the criminal activity, they don't fully report mental health issues or the offenses committed as a minor that prohibit you in MD until you are 30, plus a few other item.

Further NICS is an entirely different animal from NCIC, and the only authorized portal from the State of Maryland to NICS is the Department of Public Safety and Corrections as they are responsible for the databases that get searched in Maryland.

NCIC is accessible for update by all LE agencies in Maryland.

Got it. I was merely referring to the fact that MD doesn’t report everything to NICS. If they did, we could be like free America and walk out of the gun shop in 10 minutes with our purchase. Sadly the overlords will never allow it

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Got it. I was merely referring to the fact that MD doesn’t report everything to NICS. If they did, we could be like free America and walk out of the gun shop in 10 minutes with our purchase. Sadly the overlords will never allow it

Again, not entirely correct since not a single state is 100% compliant in what they report to NICS. Reporting information to NICS has absolutely nothing to do with how quickly one can purchase a firearm in any particular state.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And don't forget Md has additional disqualifyers that go beyond the Federal , many of them part of FSA 2013 .

In the '60s and '70s " Spontaneous Crimes of Passion" was the public/ legislative/ gun grabber mass hysteria akin to today's " School Shootings " . I know how the system actually functions currently and in the past . But the stated INTENT of the 7 Day thing at time of origination was 100t about so- called Cooling off .

( And with round trip snail mail , 2 weeks was typical , 3 weeks not uncommon .)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Didn't the CA 10 day wait get struck down by the courts? At least after the first purchase.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    And don't forget Md has additional disqualifyers that go beyond the Federal , many of them part of FSA 2013 .

In the '60s and '70s " Spontaneous Crimes of Passion" was the public/ legislative/ gun grabber mass hysteria akin to today's " School Shootings " . I know how the system actually functions currently and in the past . But the stated INTENT of the 7 Day thing at time of origination was 100t about so- called Cooling off .

( And with round trip snail mail , 2 weeks was typical , 3 weeks not uncommon .)

Thank goodness our legislators passed the waiting period laws. These laws have really, really reduced murders in the Free State. :sad20:

MrRescuePack

Jul 7, 2019
    Maryland
    I’m seeing that I have to register my guns once I’m no longer active duty but I’m being told I need to now. Any one have info on that portion of registration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom