• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I found a good deal on 2,500 once fired 223/556 brass with mixed head stamps. Some have crimped primer pockets, some don't and I now need to decide how best to outfit my reloading process to swage the brass requiring this step.

In doing a search, I found www.swageit.com which replaces the primer feed/seat assembly on the D550 with a swaging rod. Seems elegant enough, not a lot to store when not in use and less expensive than the Dillon SuperSwage600.

With the swage-it installed, you mimic the press handle motion used when seating a primer and rather than inserting a primer, the primer pocket gets swaged instead.

This approach saves me both space (much less to store) and money (less expensive than the Dillon Swage, no additional InLineFrabrication top plate needed to secure the SuperSwage to the bench)

Has anyone used one of these and willing to share impressions? Am I missing another equally viable option which is less money? The thought of swaging 2,500 primer pockets makes me want as easy a process as possible...

Thanks!

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a Dillon Super Swager, which is good for a few hundred at a time. If you know someone with a Dillon 1050 you can set up a case prep toolhead which would allow you to size, swage, and trim. I would do a few thousand in a session when using a 1050 which allowed me to get ahead on my brass prep.

Good thing about swaging is once done, if you keep track of your brass, you never need to swage it again.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I have a Dillon Super Swager, which is good for a few hundred at a time. If you know someone with a Dillon 1050 you can set up a case prep toolhead which would allow you to size, swage, and trim. I would do a few thousand in a session when using a 1050 which allowed me to get ahead on my brass prep.

Good thing about swaging is once done, if you keep track of your brass, you never need to swage it again.

Thank you. I don’t know anyone with a 1050, but your comment jogged my memory that I have seen a couple brass companies who will process brass to trim/sewage/resize. Will do some more research and see what it would cost and then balance a super sewage investment against the fee for someone else to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you find someone with one, I have a LOT of once fired military 9mm I would like to run though one.

I asked Dillon rep at the Great American Outdoors Show, and he comment was, "there is a 30 day money back guarantee." :D

For 5.56, I set up a tool head for my 650 with a Lee Universal decapping die in position 1, and a sizing die in position 2. I lube the cases and run them through as fast as I can pull the handle. Run them through the tumbler to remove the lube.

Then swage with a Dillion 600 while watching TV. Look on YT for the rubber band mod to speed things up.

I do batches of 1000 at a time.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you find someone with one, I have a LOT of once fired military 9mm I would like to run though one.

I asked Dillon rep at the Great American Outdoors Show, and he comment was, "there is a 30 day money back guarantee." :D

For 5.56, I set up a tool head for my 650 with a Lee Universal decapping die in position 1, and a sizing die in position 2. I lube the cases and run them through as fast as I can pull the handle. Run them through the tumbler to remove the lube.

Then swage with a Dillion 600 while watching TV. Look on YT for the rubber band mod to speed things up.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

Anyone want to ‘buy a share’ in a super swager? Hate to spend the money for something I won’t use a ton, but also hate to spend 0.045/round for someone else to process for me...

Used the ‘buy a share’ method for a snowblower once and while not perfect it wasn’t too bad a way to pool our funds and get a higher snow blower than any of us on the court could singularly afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Anyone want to ‘buy a share’ in a super swager? Hate to spend the money for something I won’t use a ton, but also hate to spend 0.045/round for someone else to process for me...

Used the ‘buy a share’ method for a snowblower once and while not perfect it wasn’t too bad a way to pool our funds and get a higher snow blower than any of us on the court could singularly afford.

There was a guy here who processed brass for a fair price. But, he moved to Florida and never answered my emails after he left.

I was trying to get a few friends to go in on a Dillon 1050 set up with the trim die attachment but none were interested.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I have a dillon super swagger that you can borrow in Frederick. I just have to find some of the pieces. I was using it today for 308 casings. Just have to find the smaller parts.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I have a dillon super swagger that you can borrow in Frederick. I just have to find some of the pieces. I was using it today for 308 casings. Just have to find the smaller parts.

How very kind! My youngest leaves with her mother in a week for the NRA National Match so I’ll have plenty of ‘free’ time to work them this case prep step.

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

You know I'm interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom