• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    AR15.com members have been reporting recent form 1 and form 4 individual and trust transactions both as fast as eight weeks(!). It seems to all depend on who your examiner is.

Wouldn't that be awsome! The government working the way they should? :innocent0

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    AR15.com members have been reporting recent form 1 and form 4 individual and trust transactions both as fast as eight weeks(!). It seems to all depend on who your examiner is.

Well I got a slow one then because I am on Month 5 now.

Oh well, the old Gov't hurry up and wait shuffle.... :lol2:

Dave

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Here is some news I saw on ARFcom today:

Form 1(individual) for SBR
    Sent 9-1
    Check Cashed 9-22
    Pending 10-8
    Approved 12-22
    Received 12-26
    Maker Last initial - S
    Examiner - Snook

That is great news (for me) if Snook is back up to speed.

But see:
    Form 4 (individual) for machinegun
    Sent 5/13
    Pending 7/8
    Approved 12/8
    Received 12/17
    Transferor name - S
    Examiner - Snook

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    5-6 months? ... Are you serious!?!?!? :shocked4:

There can't possibly be THAT many people applying for them to be back-logged like that. :mad54:

I'd say it's simply a deterent to discourage folks from applying ... and for me, it's working.

And the $200 "tax"??? for what??? ... isn't it enough that the government requires fingerprints, two photos, various duplicate forms, and obviously a 5-6 month waiting period? So what's the $200 "tax" for? It's obviously NOT being used to pay state employess to help process these applications in a timely manner. :rolleyes:

The cost of a can with the so-called "tax" is equivilent to what I could pay for a new gun. And until now, I was on the fence about it ... not anymore. :rolleyes:

<Mach1

Past the Vanishing Point
    Mar 3, 2008
    Title II firearms are for those with patience & a tolerance for bureaucracy. For those who are lacking, they will learn to develop that quality if they are truly committed.
    If not, no harm done.
    NFA is not for everyone.

Last edited:

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    Title II firearms are for those with patience & a tolerance for bureaucracy. For those who are lacking, they will learn to develop that quality if they are truly committed.
    If not, no harm done.
    NFA is not for everyone.

What a load of crap. :lol2:

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    Time, tolerance, money... something ain't it?

So, are you saying that the 6-month (+) wait is intentionally done to test the "tolerance" of the applicant? :confused:

It makes no sense to me that if you purchase a handgun in the state of Maryland and your paperwork does not come back at the end of the two week waiting period, the dealer is free to release the gun to you (with or without clearance). However, should you apply for a suppressor (which is obviously a non-firing, non-lethal, useless part on it's own), there is a $200 "tax" (which is applied to what, btw?), finger printing, photos, various duplicate forms, and a "hold" until all paperwork is approved which appears to average 1/2 a year or longer.

Though I appreciate your statement that "Title II firearms are for those with patience & a tolerance for bureaucracy", I have to wonder how many would have this same "tolerance for bureaucracy" should we no longer be allowed to excercise our 2nd ammendment rights.

I dunno ... I guess I just don't "get it".
    In my mind, there's really nothing "sinister" about owning a suppressor.
    Maybe it's because I've been a responsible gun owner for over 25 years that I just assume that if you're responsible enough to own a firearm, you certainly should be responsible enough to own a suppressor (thus not having to be put through all of the bureacracy).

Just my .02

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    OK, my time to hijack

I just got off the phone with the ATF. My missing SSNs are taken care of, and the approval should happen by TOMORROW 1/8/10!!

Here is my timeline from start to (hopefully) finish:

Aug. 25, 2009: Order placed with Major Malfunction
    Aug. 26: Major Malfunction submits Form 3 to ATF for transfer to MD SOT; copy faxed to MD SOT

Sept 2: Dropped off 2xForm 4s and 1xForm 1 (and 2x $18 checks) at MSP Lic. Div.
    Sept 11: Checks cleared for MSP signoff

Sept 18: MSP package is in my mailbox (Sept 15 signoff date, Sept 11 CJIS report date)

Sept 22: Mailed Form 1 to ATF/WVa; mailed Form 4 to MD SOT
    Sept 24: Form 1 package received by ATF/WV; Form 4 received by MD SOT

Sept. 25(est): Form 3 approved for Major Malfunction to send suppressors to MD SOT
    Sept. 26: FedEx tracking info shows package is inbound to MD SOT

Sept. 29 (est): Form 4 package mailed to ATF/ATL by MD SOT; suppressors arrived at MD SOT

Oct. 5: Form 4 checks to ATF cleared
    Oct. 8: Form 1 check to ATF cleared

Oct. 16: Form 4(s) pending
    Oct. 27: Form 1 pending

Nov 12?: called ATF to check on status; got pending dates and examiner name; Examiner is reportedly Sandra Snook

1/6/10: Examiner Sara Jones left message re:my missing SSN from the Form 1 FD258
    1/7/10: talked to Jones, she pulled all my forms into one pile ON HER OWN INITIATIVE, and will get the FD258s sent off,with approval probably tomorrow!!

Last edited:

<Mach1

Past the Vanishing Point
    Mar 3, 2008
    Excellent hijack, it's about time.
    Hopefully with only a dusting of snow & a stuff in the mailbox by cob, you'll have 'em by Wed.

So, are you saying that the 6-month (+) wait is intentionally done to test the "tolerance" of the applicant? :confused:
    No, just messing with you.
    Nobody likes the current gig but it's not getting any better. Don't give up, go ahead & get that 22 can. When all is said & done you won't regret it:)

Perspective: Got a buddy in Germany I recently visited who is a registered hunter. Since he's legal they inspect his residence for firearm conformance at will.
    Even better, his kid's can no longer use paintballs in their toys so they've gone underground & started using hard cherries for their clandestine competitions.

Sir Winston Churchill - "It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I just got off the phone with the ATF. My missing SSNs are taken care of, and the approval should happen by TOMORROW 1/8/10!!
    Thanks for the update, I should be about a month behind you, Mine was sent off on the one year anniversary of that dark day in history when we elected the worst president in my lifetime.... Nov. 4 2008

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Thanks for the update, I should be about a month behind you, Mine was sent off on the one year anniversary of that dark day in history when we elected the worst president in my lifetime.... Nov. 4 2008

OK, approval was actually TODAY 1/13/10 . . .three days doesn't really make a difference in the scheme of things . .

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I just got the call from Dan.... Tax stamp is in. It was mailed out Nov 4th so right around 3 months..

Friggin snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I just got the call from Dan.... Tax stamp is in. It was mailed out Nov 4th so right around 3 months..

Friggin snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Congrats!!! Yeah figures huh? What did you get? Good luck getting over there to pick up your new toy.

Dave

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    Glad to hear some of you are getting these back. Mine got handled by Jeepdriver about the middle of Sept. I'm thinking I should start checking on it. :D

I had been thinking 6 months, so that's about February or really March. But this sounds better than that. :thumbsup:

80thdiv313fa

Jul 8, 2009
    Maine
    1. NFA Item: SBR
    2. Form Type: Form 1
    3. Transferee: Individual
    4. MSP for CLEO:02/02/10
    5. Received CLEO:03/03/10
    6. Forms Sent:03/03/10
    7. Forms Rec:03/04/10
    8. Check Cashed:03/10/10
    9. Pending Date:04/09/10
    10. Examiner Name: Originally Nancy Flanigan, Approved by Sara Jones.
    11. Approved Date:08/24/10
    12. Forms Received:08/26/10

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom