• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Have a heat pump/central air unit and while the heat worked fine all winter, yesterday trying out the A/C, it seems to be just "cool" and not "cold".

Compressor is running, fan is blowing (outside and inside), so guessing it just needs a shot, or double shot, lol, of freon...unit is roughly 10 years old.

If someone wants to make a little cash, and is in the area, or will be, shoot me a message.

flintstone

Jan 1, 2013
    Perry Hall MD
    I’ve been using Contemporary Air Systems for a few years now. Been very responsive and fair pricing. They are in your area too. 410-391-3070.

Didn’t seem freaked out either with my reloading bench with thousands upon thousands of bullets and cases on it

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Sorry, can't help you.I don't have any r22.

I appreciate the effort though. Thank you for that.

Old acquaintance just left. Took 7 pounds...

And $400 oiut of my pocket...seems high, but what are you going to do? The internet says $50/lb is about going rate for R22 since it's near extinct, so if that's true, he only charged 50 bucks for the work, and to come do it at 8:30 at night, after working all day.

He said if it has another issue, it will need replacement as its 16 years old and R22 is being phased out this year, which I already had read on Google.

Last edited:

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I have a bit of r 22 left if you need to limp unit thru the summer till replacing
    7lb’s is a lot. Pretty good leak somewhere
    May want to put some soap on shader valves (where gauges get connected when servicing.
    ) and watch for bubbles indicating leak.
    Could be as simple as loose or bad o ring on cap covering shader valve.
    Unit that old and o rings being what they are could be cause of leak but inexpensive fix.
    Consendrate on smaller line( high psi liquid line) as that most times is where leak will be.
    Few small things to check that could buy you time.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I have a bit of r 22 left if you need to limp unit thru the summer till replacing
    7lb’s is a lot. Pretty good leak somewhere
    May want to put some soap on shader valves (where gauges get connected when servicing.
    ) and watch for bubbles indicating leak.
    Could be as simple as loose or bad o ring on cap covering shader valve.
    Unit that old and o rings being what they are could be cause of leak but inexpensive fix.
    Consendrate on smaller line( high psi liquid line) as that most times is where leak will be.
    Few small things to check that could buy you time.

I appreciate the offer. I'm already resigned to the fact that when it is low on freon again, it's getting replaced. I actually had BGE Home give me a quote, so I'd know the ballpark of how much I need to budget for it. My crackhead "friend" pretty much ripped me off back in 2004, by talking me into a barely capable 10 SEER unit, and with a 45 or so foot run, between the unit and the inside unit, never even checked the freon, saying it was "pre-charged"...Yes, I know and understand what precharged means, but a 45 foot span of 1" piping, empty, isn't getting magically filled by the "precharge" freon...Anyway, live and learn.

if it needs refrigerant, its leaking and needs repair. Sealed system should never need refrigerant

Exactly, as stated above, I am certain the freon was never at it's proper level from Day 1, as it's never felt "right" to me. Right now, it's almost too cold, lol. But I'll see how long it lasts, as there is surely a smaller leak somewhere. Like I told the wife, I don't want to wait until it's BROKE, to replace it. Now, since it's working great again, I have time to shop around for better price than BGE quoted me, which their lower cost option is double what I paid back in 2004...

Attachments

• bge quote.jpg
      bge quote.jpg
      114.2 KB · Views: 334

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Those prices are high. I had two Trane 18 seer 2 ton units installed last year for 7500 each.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Those prices are high. I had two Trane 18 seer 2 ton units installed last year for 7500 each.

I thought so as well, figuring they were "worst case scenario"...

I posted the quote, hoping maybe someone who is in this field may want to do it (or point me at a better option) at a more realistic price.

AirTech does a lot of work in this area but didn't even reply to a phone message or an email, so they're 100% out. If you don't respond to a potential new customer asking about a new install, where would I be if/when I have a problem?? My guess is...on my own.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    Going thru the same thing - only our system is dying quickly. I'm probably comparing apples to oranges, but the above quotes seem better than the first one I received from a local company in Riva/Edgewater.

Coastal quoted $5,500 to replace just the compressor and evaporator coil - Carrier 14 SEER 3 ton unit with gas heat.

Replacing the compressor, evaporator coil and furnace with a Carrier 14 SEER unit and 92% furnace is over $9K

Upgrading to a 16 SEER Carrier unit, 96% furnace is $12K.

Coastal installed the current unit 20 years ago and I've never felt really comfortable with them. Bethany Air's initial quote over the phone last night was $3,800 instead of $5,500 for option one. They should be by today to finalize their numbers. Need to get it done quickly, our St. Bernard mix is starting to get hot.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Those prices look very high and BGE Home doesn't have that great of a reputation. Definitely shop around for a reputable small business instead.

I had a 2 ton Trane XR16 heat pump with TAM9 air handler installed in late 2017 at the shore for $4800 after the energy rebates.

If you're handy, you can buy a Rheem unit pretty cheap off Amazon and install it yourself.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Well....

Here we are, in 2021...

Yesterday, was a bit "stuffy" (and 83 degrees) in the house, so figured I'd try the AC out...

Little over 4 hours later, was down to a blustery 80 degrees, with, once again, NON COLD air out of the vents.

So, if anyone has any dependable, trustworthy, and hopefully LOCAL to Eastern Baltimore County, HVAC companies that do efficient heat pump/AC replacements to be done with this POS old 10 SEER do nothing unit...
    Please list them up.

Not so much worried about fair cost, as I'm worried about a dependable contractor. This last unit was a installed, then abandoned, by a so-called "buddy"...and that never (or rarely) works out.

Going to call the one flintstone suggested in Post#2 but want to get at least a few estimates before dropping a wad of cash...

Thanks.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Perry Hall HVAC. Honest and they do excellent work.
    BGE home sucks and is high priced. The guy quoting your HVAC system might have been selling carpet has week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom