• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    Not sure how many are aware but here's the gist. The Chesapeake Forest Properties are tracts of land scattered throughout the Eastern Shore of MD.

State-owned property paid for with our tax dollars but leased to very fortunate few. Yes, property paid for with our tax dollars yet very much privately leased out. The turnover on the leases was 2%. Which is not surprising, these lands are in prime whitetail country.

I don't know who fought this but as of June 2018, 15 tracts of land, totalling 8900 acres were to go public lottery in February 2020 with staggered expiration dates and the goal being a 20% turnover rate.

20% will be 1year lease
    20% will be 2years
    20% will be 3 years
    20% will be 4 years
    20% will be 5 years.

BUT NOW, I suppose the people leasing the lands made a big cry and now the proposal states
    "Current Lessees. At the end of existing terms, current lessees may be
    offered a continuance of 10 years if the lessee is a legal entity or has
    established a legal entity that is in good standing with the State of
    Maryland, and the lessee has complied with all of the terms and
    conditions of previous leases with DNR and the State of Maryland."

In short, if you're currently on a lease, you can keep extending it for 10 years at a time. I don't know about you, but I think thats BS considering we all paid for these lands and I know myself and a bunch of guys and gals who would like to have a shot at leasing a tract come February. If you feel the same way, you can go here to voice your opinion
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeVb04JhLdrvnHkmPV68gsm_Flo7LqGPKYaxAdoO_duZQ0RBg/viewform

Comments are open until October 17,2019.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I don't know the full story here but I can see both sides of this and think it should be somewhere in the middle. I don't think it's fair to clubs who have existed for decades and managed these properties to just get tossed out when they have a lot of time and money in these properties. From what I understand there are some properties that get neglected due to having the amount of property these clubs have. I think a percentage should go back into a public lottery if there is such demand. Also you put a big emphasis on tax dollars being used to pay property taxes. What are the leases paying? I know its may not be top dollar on the eastern shore but I also don't think its pennies on the dollars and more than enough to cover the taxes. Do they even pay property taxes on state-owned property?

eshoremd

May 22, 2014
    Pasadena
    Well I'm one of the "very fortunate few".

Ive thought about leaving my club because its a 2 hour drive.
    Ive thought about leaving because of the amount of public land opened to the public in that area.
    Ive thought about not having yahoos shooting at me.
    Ill keep my club.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    hi3cho, I've been reading the "We managed these properties" arguments all over the place. But I don't know what the heck that means...Does that mean that they have been going down, cutting shooting lanes and maintaining fire roads? Because hell, I'll get some buddies together and we'll have a heck of a time doing that. Sounds like quality bro time to me.

I just don't know how the land can be "managed". I'm pretty sure if no one stepped foot on that ground for 100 years, then it would probably be in better shape then if we were to "manage" it.

What are the leases paying? Hell if I know! What I do know is that they're currently going for about $16 per acre, which is DIRT CHEAP compared to the private leases in the same areas.

I think, it is complete and udder BS, that these "fortunate few" can have this and keep the rest of us out. I'm against it 100%.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    hi3cho, I've been reading the "We managed these properties" arguments all over the place. But I don't know what the heck that means...Does that mean that they have been going down, cutting shooting lanes and maintaining fire roads? Because hell, I'll get some buddies together and we'll have a heck of a time doing that. Sounds like quality bro time to me.

I just don't know how the land can be "managed". I'm pretty sure if no one stepped foot on that ground for 100 years, then it would probably be in better shape then if we were to "manage" it.

What are the leases paying? Hell if I know! What I do know is that they're currently going for about $16 per acre, which is DIRT CHEAP compared to the private leases in the same areas.

I think, it is complete and udder BS, that these "fortunate few" can have this and keep the rest of us out. I'm against it 100%.

They cant keep you out. Public should have access any time hunting season is not underway.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere

I was more speaking to the sunk cost they have as far as stands, feeders, roads, etc. with the impression they would have the opportunity to keep the lease as long as they paid and renewed. I realize when you lease state land you always have to be prepared to lose it. I don't have a horse in the race so I am just making assumptions based on people I have talked to. Like I said I think there is some middle ground that would take some land from the bigger clubs and make them focus more on keeping up their remaining leases.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I think the maintenance people are talking about is more or less bush hogging for the camper area, putting up stands etc. Nobody should be creating roads or removing timber over a certain diameter to facilitate their property. There was a ton of CFL that was available this year. Anybody could have bid on it albeit the pieces I looked into were ridiculously high for what it was. Some of it the lesser tracts doesn't even get bid on at all.

I'm waiting or the reply to some of the questions that I posed by the link the OP provided. Most of them pertain to baiting by the land users up to private property and proximity to those lands that are hunted for waterfowl, boundary dispute and published list of club members names that are supposed to be on a roster. I'm also interested in what a legal entity is and how that applies to adjacent landowners in the event of property/crop damage, accountability for wildlife violations associated with the lessors behavior, what method is in place to ensure lands are not being sub-let who signs off etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom