• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    A few months ago I saw an AR-15 pistol in one of the LGSs where I seem to empty my wallet more than I'd care to admit. Not complaining, mind you. :innocent0

Anyway, thanks to my friends at 2A I began to acquire sainthood with a Springfield Armory Saint pistol in 5.56:

Very cool gun, great trigger right out of the box, and not only is it a great pistol, but as you can see from the video it's also a pretty decent flamethrower. And it is the very definition of LOUD. I took it (and a friend) to the Machine Gun Nest in Frederick to break it in, and while I really liked it, my friend (Gorba) LOVED it!

Fast forward a couple of weeks, and I discovered that Springfield also made the Saint pistol in .300 Blackout. Oh crap... I LOVE this caliber, and just happen to have a suppressor for it. Well gee, what to do? Gorba succumbed to temptation and bought my 5.56, and I also succumbed and bought the .300 from GymRatz. I picked up a Vortex Spitfire 3x optic from BassPro (used a lot of points), and ordered the adapter for the Omega can that was collecting dust in my safe, put it on, and took the assembly to AGC yesterday.

Here's Hickock45's impression of it:

This thing really surprised me. Unlike the 5.56, the trigger on this one sucked bigly. Somewhere over 9lbs and rough as sandpaper, so I replaced it with a Larue MBT as an experiment, and LOVE the result. I think it's every bit as good as the Geissle SSA-E triggers I have in everything else. Nice surprise!

Not only is it approaching Hollywood quiet, even indoors, but it has accuracy rivaling many rifles I own. Here's the proof. First, the obligatory picture of (part of) a foot with the firearm, then some actual targets with 10 shots each. Please excuse the typo in the last picture, it should read .300. But you already knew that, didn't you? :D

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpg
      IMG_0236.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 794
    • IMG_0235.jpg
      IMG_0235.jpg
      92.7 KB · Views: 792
    • IMG_0234.jpg
      IMG_0234.jpg
      99.9 KB · Views: 784

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    Congrats. I read somewhere that barrel length for the 223/556 caliber optimally should not go below 9 inches, is there any truth to that?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Congrats. I read somewhere that barrel length for the 223/556 caliber optimally should not go below 9 inches, is there any truth to that?
    Dwell time with the bullet in the bore, after the gas port is an issue, which can cause cycling/reliability issues. The pressure some on the gas system from using pistol length gas increases wear and will beat up the gun and your shoulder. It is also going to be louder than sin. Loud as in it will sound like a 308 or bigger going off. Velocity and accuracy will suffer greatly.

10.5" or longer for 223/556 is what would be a good bet with carbine gas. I took the middle ground between 14.5 and 10.5 by going 12.5 with carbine gas. So far I've had zero issues. It is louder than I'd like, but it is tolerable.

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    "Gorba succumbed to temptation and bought my 5.56"

I didn't succumb, I was coerced!! Mr. Ed is no Saint but he sure offers nice pricing! I agree with all his other comments though, the Saint is a great piece of gear. I love flame throwers.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    "Gorba succumbed to temptation and bought my 5.56"

I didn't succumb, I was coerced!! Mr. Ed is no Saint but he sure offers nice pricing! I agree with all his other comments though, the Saint is a great piece of gear. I love flame throwers.

Okay, I'll 'fess up... it was a redneck Jedi mind trick. :innocent0

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Did your .300blk come with the curved or flat trigger? I think in 2019 models they are coming with a flat trigger that I assume is improved out of the box?

Pretty sure it was curved. I replaced it with a Larue MBT, and never looked back.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Absolutely love it. :party29:

Hey, sorry to keep bothering you but, you ever thought about sbr’ing this pistol?

We would a whole new buffer tube here in addition to the stock,correct?

According to Springfield, this is 27.75, so I’d imagine a stock would likely be able to make up the needed difference of 1.25 inches to make Maryland’s over all length?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom