• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I've been working with my pup for the past year on retrieving and plan to introduce her to hunting in October. I've never actually hunted with a dog and all of her training has been based on what I've found on YT and been able to replicate on a budget. She has been exposed to gunfire, fireworks, etc (actually LIKES fireworks and thunderstorms). We have a very strong bond and she has very strong retrieving and tracking instincts.
    My plan at this point is to set up close to a fence on our property. I have a ten foot lead I'll use as a tether on a fence post until it is time to retrieve and a 50 foot check lead to keep her on while retrieving. We end up with most species on the property at one point or another so targets will depend on what is in season and what is actually showing up.
    What tips, tricks, etc do you have? Is my plan decent or am I setting us both up for failure? Obviously under ideal circumstances I'd do professional hunting training with her, but that isn't realistic for me right now and I don't want her instincts to atrophy from lack of use before it becomes realistic.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    What kind of dog? I don't think you are trying hard enough. Dogs love a challenge.

My springer took on scented tennis balls as far as I could throw them. Occasionally he look to me for re-assurance, if he lost it. He then learned I was pointing were the target was.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    If you have anyone else with a dog you hunt with, generally it is a good idea to hunt with a more experienced dog at first and let them watch the older dog on most retrieves and then let them have a couple.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    She's a 5th or 6th generation WV mutt. I know she has retriever, coonhound, boxer, german shepard and other breeds. She is extremely smart and takes to training very well unless she gets bored (the reason for the check lead). She taught herself to bring the paper in just from walking with me to get it (I looked down one day and she had it in her mouth waiting to come back to the house). I always have a lead on her for safety mainly because we are very close to 3 busy roads. She doesn't like to leave me, but its a better safe then sorry kind of thing.
    I challange her as much as I can with what I have. She has a bunch of puzzle toys, I hide things for her to find, etc. We've done 2 levels of PetSmart training and are starting at a new place next month. They offer a bunch of things other then obedience/manners that we will do when they sign off on it (they start every dog at basic obedience and advance them at the pace they think is appropriate). The biggest issue with the gundog trainers I've found (other then price) is they prefer to board and train and I prefer training with her.

Robertjeter

May 11, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Introduce to birds early. Mine has a great pedigree, but doesn’t like the birds. Didn’t take her training too seriously, either. *shrugs*.

Keep some wings/feathers during hunting season & attach those to a bumper to get her used to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Looks like you are pretty close to me. I'll probably be dove hunting next week. My dad scouted hunted this week and said they were flying like crazy, he just could not hit them. If you want a dead bird to see how she does with actual feathers, scent, etc., I would be more than happy to give you one IF I get one.

As far as training goes, I have trained 2 goloden retrievers and a yellow lab so far. Going to get a couple more labs once this house disaster is straightened out.

She has to have the basics down to begin with. Sit, down, up, stay, and I mean stay from a long, long ways away. You need to be able to sit her down, tell her "stay", walk away, come back, and she is still sitting there where you left her. At first, the time frame and distance you are away from her has to be short. You lengthen both as she is successful. Then, once she has all the basics under control, you move on to force fetching. When you say fetch, she needs to get that bird, bumper, or whatever in her mouth. Then, there is blind retrieves.

It would take me all night to write everything out. Get a couple of good books. I read a couple before I started with the goldens and I got Nitro right after I finished training the two goldens, so it was all fresh in my mind. 15 years later, I will be reading them all over again before I get the new labs.

Wish I had some pics of Nitro retrieving. He is the best retriever I have ever had. His biggest problem was staying in place after seeing a bird fall.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom