• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Still remains to be seen how it will play out especially vs 6.5 Grendel. If it takes off and becomes standard due to small, but important tweaks like 6.5 creedmoore vs 260 REM, then I would definitely build one, at worst you are only a barrel swap away from turning it into a 6.5 Grendel if it doesn't pan out. The largest problem is mags, 5.56x45 variants have dozens of companies making quality mags, 6.5G and now 6 ARC have 2 or 3, and they have to be metal as polymer mags are too thick for the wider cases to stack and still fit in the magwell.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    It looks very similar to the 6mm PPC or a 6mmBR. For those that don't know, the 6mm PPC round is the most accurate round made till about 300 yards. The 6mmBR(or one of the wildcats, 6mm dasher, 6mm BRX etc) are one of the most accurate rounds till about 600 yards with the heavier bullets.

Having troubles at work with things getting blocked. I have a rifle in 6mmBR and tuning mags to feed it is tough at times. If it feeds the 107-109gr range bullets in a mag reliably, I'm likely a customer. I have thousands of 6mm bullets at home, so this makes sense to me from a reloading perspective.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    from what i have been reading it appears as if the 18" barrel seems to be the most ideal, this might be easier for the wife to stomach vs. another rig in the cabinet

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Anyone mentioned speeds on the heavy bullets yet, reading 2800ish with a 108gr? Spit balling numbers buts come ups at around 3.5MOA at 300 yards, 12 MOA @ 600 and 29 MOA @ 1k

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    I am very interested. Been debating a 6 grendel for a while and this is basically it. I should be able to neck down 6.5 lapua brass and be a happy camper.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Oh look, someone necked down 6.5 Grendel and is now loudly proclaiming it can do things that 6.5 Grendel can already do. Personally, I think necking up .224 Valk to 6mm might have been the more interesting play.

But either way, this thing is DOA. 6.5 Grendel works just fine for going to a thousand yards with a long enough barrel (20-22"), and has steel-cased ammo available (which makes it at least plausible to run at carbine classes and matches).

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Ok.. I’ll be the outsider. The .224 valkyie is way more appealing to me than this although its comical to see these types of long distance rounds popup every year or two. Grendel, 22 Nosler, 224 Valk, and now this.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I believe this has some real potential. Basically a 6 AR with a large ammunition backing it. Sorta like the 6 HAGAR. Hopefully the 6 ARC will be more popular.

Good Luck

Jerry

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    As dist1646 indicated, this not a new design. Nor was the 243LBC. As well as the 6mmAR.com website, this cartridge was discussed in depth by its creator Robert Whitley in the article "The 6mmAR Cartridge in AR-15 Spaceguns . . . 2750 fps with 105 Grain Bullets" in the August 2006 issue of Precision Shooting magazine. Redding dies were already available at that time.

Robert Whitley was well acquainted with the 6.5 Grendel as he had published the article "Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel in a Highpower AR Spacegun" in the February 2006 issue of Precision Shooting magazine.

I have a 224Valkyrie, and am in the process of switching it over to a 6mmAR or 243LBC or 6mm Grendel or perhaps the "NEW" 6mm ARC. Whichever one I can get a benchrest grade, cut-rifled, lapped 20" SS .936" gas block barrel chambered in.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    The question for this cartridge will be: Did Hornady “F” it up like Federal with the 224Valkyrie and let the lawyers??? (liability concerns) insist on a ridiculous amount of freebore/leade so that 105-108 gr. bullets cannot be loaded into the lands and still function in a standard AR length magazine? If this is the case, precision will have been severely compromised, and handloaders will soon let it be known.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Oh look, someone necked down 6.5 Grendel and is now loudly proclaiming it can do things that 6.5 Grendel can already do. Personally, I think necking up .224 Valk to 6mm might have been the more interesting play.

But either way, this thing is DOA. 6.5 Grendel works just fine for going to a thousand yards with a long enough barrel (20-22"), and has steel-cased ammo available (which makes it at least plausible to run at carbine classes and matches).
    That is kind of my opinion too, but a factory available 6mm option is nice for people who want it. You know, if they get magazines to work right for it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The magazine issue does leave me a bit irked.. lets hope that Magpul gets on the Schick with it.
    Not likely. They basically declined to make a 6.5G mag because they didn't think the mag walls would be thick enough. No reason it would be different for 6mm ARC.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Makes sense, my buddy has a 6.5 Grendel and was talking about the dedicated metal mags he got with no FTF in the 200+ rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

The .224 Valkrie necked up to 6mm would basically be a 6mm WOA. The WOA was designed by John Holliger of White Oak Armament.
    All been done before.
    The main reason the HAGAR didn't really take off was a combination of timing and lack of factory ammo or brass when it was introduced. Remember, manufacturers were trying to keep up production of more popular and long established ammo at the time. Whitley's 6mmAR and the 6mm HAGAR were both introduced in the same issue of Precision Shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom