AR10 Suggestions? Are any of them illegal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but does the OP actually have to be 21 to buy a stripped .308 lower? I only ask because when I purchased the sole .308 lower I own (bought an Aero Precision matched set), it was cash and carry, not treated like a pistol (this was post ban, in 2014 or 2015 I think). From my limited research, that is the correct way to transfer a stripped .308 lower, and it did transfer as "other." I would have been 31 or 32 at the time, so it never occurred to me to look at age minimums for "other". I guess that is a long way of saying I didn't realize there were age minimums for anything other than pistols and NFA items.

I guess I could write MSP a letter . . . *ducks*

Federal law in regards to receivers, requires them to be treated the same as handguns, when it comes to age requirements for purchase. The buyer must be 21 or older to purchase a receiver or a handgun.

State law mirrors Federal law for the age restriction on receivers and handguns. Once the buyer is over the age of 21 in MD, they are able to purchase an AR10 receiver on a 4473, C&C.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    lol rather than having a box of expensive ar10 parts i think i’ll opt out for buying a complete rifle. i wouldn’t even know what to buy if I tried to get all the pieces today. Just not enough experience with ARs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend you getting the parts together for the upper you really want, while purchasing the rifle at this current time. This way, you are able to build a precision upper, after you have your completed rifle, and you just swap uppers as needed, depending on what you plan on doing that day.

The decisions you have to make when building an upper revolve around what you want it to do. Do you want to free float the barrel? Do you want to have a DMR upper? What length barrel do you want? Do you want to go Keymod or MLOK for the accessory attachment system on the handguard? What kind of muzzle device do you want, a flash hider, compensator, flash hider/compensator, muzzle brake, muzzle brake/compensator, flash hider/compensator/muzzle brake, QD mount for a suppressor? If you are going to use a magnified optic, do you want an ambidextrous charging handle? What kind of gas block do you want to use, an adjustable or non-adjustable?

Those are all questions you have to answer, before you start buying components.

As it stands right now, my list involves a SLR clamp on adjustable gas block, Aero Precision BCG, Radian Arms Raptor charging handle, Criterion 18" mid-length gas barrel w/M118LR chamber, Aero Precision 15" free float KeyMod handguard, YHM slant muzzle brake, cantilever scope mount, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP mil-dot reticule, Keymod rail section, M1913 swivel stud adapter, not sure on the bipod yet but there will be a good bipod, Magpul PRS stock, rifle buffer tube without A2 spacer, 308 buffer spring, 308 rifle buffer, Giesslle SSA-E trigger, Aero LPK, and the matched Aero Precision M5 upper/lower set.

I know what I want my AR10 to do, and I am building it for that purpose in mind, and only that purpose. It will not be a jack of all trades, yet master of none. I am building it for pure precision/DMR shooting and longer range hunting. I am making zero compromises on this build, as I have made zero compromises on previous AR15 builds, I have done.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Don't overlook the DMPS G2 rifles, they do well and are $1,600 or so. If it's not shooting .25 MOA like everyone claims, but a new barrel for $500 and that's fixed.

I love my G2 recon!

I put a ssae trigger in it and probably didn't need too as the factory was decent enough for hunting.

Attachments

• 20170217_161049_zpsbiakthi4.jpg
      20170217_161049_zpsbiakthi4.jpg
      110.5 KB · Views: 530

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I doubt this will be my only AR10. I like the idea of a shorter 16” one that i’d throw a grip/acog or eotech on, thats something i’d probably build along with a maybe 20” version. If I went with the Windham it’d be the first rifle I really dedicated to distance shooting and would invest in a solid scope for. The rest of my rifles just have iron sights. I’m not as much of a fan of the M&P 10 just because of the railed gasblock and handguard. I definitely want a railed hanguard. No big deal either way, I know i’ll be buying plenty more in the future.

When it comes to weight, I'd shy away from the M1930 rail system. I'd rather shave weight by going KeyMod or MLOK and being able to put rail sections where I wanted to mount things, while keeping the rest of the handguard as clean as possible, for the weight reduction.

I have hunted with a Rock River LAR-8 mid-length A4 and it was not a good experience. That SOB with a 3-9x40 scope is heavy as hell with a 20 round mag in it. After 4 seasons of that, I started the process of building an AR15 in 300BLK for hunting. I did my 5th season with the LAR-8, then transitioned to the AR15 in 300BLK on the 6th season. I did not start hunting with semi-autos, I started hunting at 7 with a Winchester Model 1894 and at 14 transitioned to a 30-06 bolt. Many years later I made the transition to the LAR-8, and finally to the 300BLK, where I am right now.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Don't overlook the DMPS G2 rifles, they do well and are $1,600 or so. If it's not shooting .25 MOA like everyone claims, but a new barrel for $500 and that's fixed.

I love my G2 recon!

^^^^^ This guy knows what he is talking about. The guy quoted and I have spoken about rifles in general and knowing what he used to shoot in, I can highly recommend his advice. He is actually the reason why I grabbed a PRS for my AR10 build after all these years.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    The HBAR requirement is only for AR15's in .223 or 5.56. This means a .300AAC, 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .50 Beowolf, etc can ignore the HBAR requirements. All AR10's can also ignore the HBAR requirements as well.
    Maryland compliance also involves a combination of: folding stocks, grenade launchers, flash hiders, etc. This applies to all AR type rifles.
    With this in mind.....is a heavy barrel AR-15 in 5.56 good to go if it has a collapsible (non-folding) stock and a flash hider?

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Another vote for the S&W M&P 10.

What I liked about it:
    - Very accurate. I can get between 1 to 1.5 MOA using 155 grain Hornady Match at 200 yards
    - Ambidextrous controls means that you don't have to switch hand positions to lock the bolt back. If you are right handed, use your index finger to press the lower portion of the bolt release, and yank back on the charging handle to lock the bolt to the rear.
    - Uses inexpensive MAGPUL 308 mags, most of them pretty much do these days.
    - Light weight, 7.7 pounds out of the box.

What I didn't like about it:
    - Factory CAR style stock is not that great, and its on a Commercial diameter buffer tube. The tube will have to be changed out to use most of the stocks on the market. I put a Limbsaver brand rubber butt pad to absorb and dissipate the recoil
    - Proprietary barrel and bolt carrier means you can't use most of the "DPMS" dimension AR-10 parts
    - Charging handle latch is too small, and most aftermarket charging handles will require modification to fit
    - Ambi-safety started coming loose after 200 rounds
    -Trigger had a lot of creep which made it feel like a two stage trigger with a heavy first stage.
    - No sights are included, and since the gas block and front sight mount are integrated, this limits usage of metal front sights only.
    What's the street price on these?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Federal law in regards to receivers, requires them to be treated the same as handguns, when it comes to age requirements for purchase. The buyer must be 21 or older to purchase a receiver or a handgun.

State law mirrors Federal law for the age restriction on receivers and handguns. Once the buyer is over the age of 21 in MD, they are able to purchase an AR10 receiver on a 4473, C&C.
    Thank you for the explanation! Much appreciated.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I forgot to mention that I have seen recent positive reviews for the Stag Arms line of large pattern ARs, as well as Savage's lineup. Stagg make a free floated 16" .308 with 13.5 MLOK rails. MSRP is okay, street price seems like a good deal.

I would also highly suggest taking whatever .308 you purchase to Clandestine (AR guru who runs School Of The American Rifle) for his reliability package. He will help you get the most out of your rifle.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I agree with both DPMS G2 and the SW MP10 rifles. I ended up with an MP10 because I found one for a great price with the 18" 5R Pencil Barrel. One of my big concerns was weight and my personal choice was for something close to 8Lbs. Having the opportunity to try both rifles, I found them both to be excellent shooters that handled well. Also when you see "MD Compliant" on AR-10's it usually refers to the rifles being shipped with a 10 Rd Magazine.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    What's the street price on these?

I paid $1400 for mine (18" barrel version, MSRP around $1600), and sold it for $1200 a year later to buy a SCAR 17s. A quick peek on gunbroker shows them listed between $1200-$1400.

Gym Ratz Nutrition had a M&P 10 Sport model (16" barrel) for sale at $900 in October, MSRP around $1050. Not sure if the 16" has similar performance as the 18" version.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=4968649&highlight=M&P#post4968649

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    I have a M&P 10. I like it. I added a BCM charging handle , dropped right in no modifications, and a geissele SSA. Mine also came with a mil size buffer tube, I installed a magpul ACS-L. It's the only ar-10 style rifle I own

:thumbsup:Good to know.

Last edited:

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    I went with a DPMS G2 MOE and am very happy. I got it used, but it looks unfired with a trigger and Spark 2 for under $1100 at an IP. I had been looking for one and got lucky to find the used one.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    I went with a DPMS G2 MOE and am very happy. I got it used, but it looks unfired with a trigger and Spark 2 for under $1100 at an IP. I had been looking for one and got lucky to find the used one.

I like the way that one looks, but the reviews will keep me from buying that rifle. They are certainly mixed on Buds. Especially with only a 3 year warranty.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    I like the way that one looks, but the reviews will keep me from buying that rifle. They are certainly mixed on Buds. Especially with only a 3 year warranty

I was looking at the DMPS Oracle and decided against since they use a cheaper Extruded 7029 T6 aluminum for upper and lower instead of the typical 7075 T6 (& used in the g2 series).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom