• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    The first chemical battery (voltaic pile) was invented in 1800, so it's not like the founders could have known the idea of carrying an electric charge with you wherever you went. Maybe the court should have looked at truncheons and the like.
    "In accord with that analysis we must determine whether a stun gun an online blog is the type of weapon speech contemplated by Congress in 1789 as being protected by the Second First Amendment.[...] We note that that the first patent for stun gun was filed in 1972 Al Gore invented the internet in 1994. [...] The recent invention of this weapon electronic publishing clearly postdates the period relevant to our analysis. "

Turn in your keyboards, citizens. You need a permit for that.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Well sh!t...easy enough solution...he needs to go buy a gun.

This just makes me angry...a weapon designed around non-lethal self-defense is not protected under 2A, but a lethal weapon is?? What kind of sense does that make??

Who are these people, and how do they get to these positions??

This is a cop-out ruling, plain and simple...they want to avoid ruling on the "self defense" angle so they copped out and focused on the nature of the weapon.
    Agreed. However, how does one do that without an address? 4473 requires that. vicious loop.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    "In accord with that analysis we must determine whether a stun gun an online blog is the type of weapon speech contemplated by Congress in 1789 as being protected by the Second First Amendment.[...] We note that that the first patent for stun gun was filed in 1972 Al Gore invented the internet in 1994. [...] The recent invention of this weapon electronic publishing clearly postdates the period relevant to our analysis. "

Not just a permit, they can ban the keyboard completely. Get out your quill pens, boys, you are going to need them.

'04 Cummins

Defenestrator
    "The Massachusetts court said the Second Amendment protections did not apply to stun guns because, among other reasons, they were “thoroughly modern” inventions that were not in common use at the time the Second Amendment was enacted in 1789."

SMH... :mad54::sad20::sad20:

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    The Supreme Court has said in Heller versus DC that the second amendment extends, prima facia, to any instrument that constitutes a bearable arm. How on earth can the court square this with that unequivocal statement?

Last edited:

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA

This needs to be in the next petition.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    In my trade is called something less polite --

malpractice... ;)

But when judging becomes a trade....its to be expected..

Let's hope the damage can be reversed ..

Obviously you are not in one of the following: accounting; statistics; economics; finance; middle to upper management at any corporation; politics; government or law...

Hate to say it, but I have also seen doctors, and those in "hard" sciences engage some results oriented reasoning too (confirmation bias). Sometimes an advanced degree just means you are better at making your biases sound educated.

Unfortunately, I doubt the SCT will take this case, so this decision will linger for a while.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    This needs to be in the next petition.
    I'm beginning to wonder if SCOTUS is avoiding gun questions because they are too narrow?

Conventional wisdom is this court wants narrow issues, but they answered Heller and McDonald in broader terms than the question posed. Hell, in Heller Scalia all but complained that the question of whether a permit is even constitutional would have been answered, had plaintiff counsel simply asked the question.

Citizen's United was also quite broad in application. So was Lawrence (the government has no role banning sodomy between consenting adults), and Fischer (challenges to affirmative action for school admissions requires strict scrutiny analysis - dooming most programs).

When a core right is implicated, the court does not seem the least bit nervous stepping in and setting down the law in broad terms. Fischer was only 13 pages long, but quickly established that pretty much every college admissions program - everywhere in the USA - was doing it wrong. School administrators are still trying to figure out how to adjust, and basically in many cases are saying they cannot. That's pretty broad.

I am not saying this case is "the one". Not by a long shot. But the issues here have me wondering aloud if the justices are waiting for more than a simple narrow single-question appeal.

This judgement sets up a few questions:

- Can you require a permit to keep a defensive device (Mass law)?
    - Does the right to bear extend outside the home?
    - Can the right to bear require a permit, and if so, can the right be denied to a person unable to pay the fees and meet the requirements (homeless)?
    - Does the right extend to modern arms, and what does that mean?

This in addition to the ever-present, "please tell the courts again how to evaluate these things."

It'd be interesting to see this one brought forward trying to get the client off using the "any/all" approach. The court could review and rule on one, or on all questions. Counsel has an obligation to their client, not to us. Williams (MD Carry case) was pretty much one question, because the judge limited his ruling. Not here. Just wondering if a case like this sets up a petition that by necessity would involve a pretty wide range of issues.

Maybe the justices don't want to slug 2A out one case a time over years and years. Maybe they want to cement the borders of this right fully, and soon.

Yes - the thought is impatient and impertinent, but what fun is the internet on a rainy day without a little of both?

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    "The Massachusetts court said the Second Amendment protections did not apply to stun guns because, among other reasons, they were “thoroughly modern” inventions that were not in common use at the time the Second Amendment was enacted in 1789."

SMH... :mad54::sad20::sad20:

by that logic, free speech on the internet would not apply.....

I think that might be the one thing liberals would complain about infringing...

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Obviously you are not in one of the following: accounting; statistics; economics; finance; middle to upper management at any corporation; politics; government or law...

Hate to say it, but I have also seen doctors, and those in "hard" sciences engage some results oriented reasoning too (confirmation bias). Sometimes an advanced degree just means you are better at making your biases sound educated.

Unfortunately, I doubt the SCT will take this case, so this decision will linger for a while.

Yes but its still malpractice. They just get away with it..until the bridge fails anyway.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    It occurs to me that every case that the lower courts bork up creates s list of consequences for SCOTUS to ponder.. they are going to want to know the implications of any decision.

This way they will not need to rely on briefs.. and can demand of the state real answers..to all the questions they ducked in the lower courts... sounds like Scalias game...

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It occurs to me that every case that the lower courts bork up creates s list of consequences for SCOTUS to ponder.. they are going to want to know the implications of any decision.

This way they will not need to rely on briefs.. and can demand of the state real answers..to all the questions they ducked in the lower courts... sounds like Scalias game...

I think that this is a key reason that they passed on carry cases until - they saw the results in IL. There were other good reasons, like waiting on Peruta. But now they can see the results of the policy change.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    I'm beginning to wonder if SCOTUS is avoiding gun questions because they are too narrow?

Conventional wisdom is this court wants narrow issues, but they answered Heller and McDonald in broader terms than the question posed. Hell, in Heller Scalia all but complained that the question of whether a permit is even constitutional would have been answered, had plaintiff counsel simply asked the question.

Citizen's United was also quite broad in application. So was Lawrence (the government has no role banning sodomy between consenting adults), and Fischer (challenges to affirmative action for school admissions requires strict scrutiny analysis - dooming most programs).

When a core right is implicated, the court does not seem the least bit nervous stepping in and setting down the law in broad terms. Fischer was only 13 pages long, but quickly established that pretty much every college admissions program - everywhere in the USA - was doing it wrong. School administrators are still trying to figure out how to adjust, and basically in many cases are saying they cannot. That's pretty broad.

I am not saying this case is "the one". Not by a long shot. But the issues here have me wondering aloud if the justices are waiting for more than a simple narrow single-question appeal.

This judgement sets up a few questions:

- Can you require a permit to keep a defensive device (Mass law)?
    - Does the right to bear extend outside the home?
    - Can the right to bear require a permit, and if so, can the right be denied to a person unable to pay the fees and meet the requirements (homeless)?
    - Does the right extend to modern arms, and what does that mean?

This in addition to the ever-present, "please tell the courts again how to evaluate these things."

It'd be interesting to see this one brought forward trying to get the client off using the "any/all" approach. The court could review and rule on one, or on all questions. Counsel has an obligation to their client, not to us. Williams (MD Carry case) was pretty much one question, because the judge limited his ruling. Not here. Just wondering if a case like this sets up a petition that by necessity would involve a pretty wide range of issues.

Maybe the justices don't want to slug 2A out one case a time over years and years. Maybe they want to cement the borders of this right fully, and soon.

Yes - the thought is impatient and impertinent, but what fun is the internet on a rainy day without a little of both?

Maybe the court will take Jackson vs. San Francisco http://michellawyers.com/guncasetracker/jacksonvsanfran/
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=84995
    if for no other reason than to lay out the process for reviewing and judging 2A cases since so many courts/judges decided to ignore the majority ruling in Heller and instead use Breyer's minority opinion.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Maybe the court will take Jackson vs. San Francisco http://michellawyers.com/guncasetracker/jacksonvsanfran/
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=84995
    if for no other reason than to lay out the process for reviewing and judging 2A cases since so many courts/judges decided to ignore the majority ruling in Heller and instead use Breyer's minority opinion.

Plenty of Amici in that case

http://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docketfiles/14-704.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom