• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    As I read it, as an uninformed schlub, the decision throws out DC's total ban on carry permits, but it won't stop them from enacting a may-issue scheme, which you can bet will be highly restrictive.

Also, the decision says "the Court grants Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment and enjoins Defendants from enforcing the home limitations of D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) and enforcing D.C. Code § 22-4504(a) unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms."

Does that mean that DC is no-permit-required carry until they adopt a permitting plan?

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    As I read it, as an uninformed schlub, the decision throws out DC's total ban on carry permits, but it won't stop them from enacting a may-issue scheme, which you can bet will be highly restrictive.

Also, the decision says "the Court grants Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment and enjoins Defendants from enforcing the home limitations of D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) and enforcing D.C. Code § 22-4504(a) unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms."

Does that mean that DC is no-permit-required carry until they adopt a permitting plan?

That's how I read it...but it would be just for residents of DC, of course.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

It goes on to say:

" Furthermore, this injunction prohibits the District from completely banning the carrying of handguns in public for self-defense by otherwise qualified non-residents based solely on the fact that they are not residents of the District."

So, qualifications matter, but are not specified. Unless you want to test your Utah permit, best to wait until the Powers That Be start issuing regs.

Of course, I'd be glad to toss a hunnert bucks into your legal defense fund, if you want to be the test case.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Does this finaly mean we have an honest to goodness for real circuit split, forcing the supreme court to decide the matter once and for all?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    That's how I read it...but it would be just for residents of DC, of course.

Not so! One of the really charming phrases from the Court forces the District to be open to qualified non-residents. It will be very interesting to see how that plays out.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    It goes on to say:

" Furthermore, this injunction prohibits the District from completely banning the carrying of handguns in public for self-defense by otherwise qualified non-residents based solely on the fact that they are not residents of the District."

So, qualifications matter, but are not specified. Unless you want to test your Utah permit, best to wait until the Powers That Be start issuing regs.

Of course, I'd be glad to toss a hunnert bucks into your legal defense fund, if you want to be the test case.

Hmm...interesting. I think I'll wait for more clarification before bringing my gun to work :D

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Does this finaly mean we have an honest to goodness for real circuit split, forcing the supreme court to decide the matter once and for all?

It may also pave the way for national reciprocity. Wouldn't that be sweet?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My guess is DC will try to play games with this a la Chicago until they are slapped down again by the courts. That's just the history of these liberal jerks.

How deliciously ironic would it be if DC applies for a Writ, it's accepted and then the SCOTUS finally slaps it down. The last place in the US with no permits issued could be the straw that broke the camel's back..

I know-I'm getting ahead of myself and I'm probably dreaming.

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    DC won't let this sit, at least not yet. You can expect them to seek a stay while they appeal to the DC circuit. After that, who knows? If we win again in the circuit there's a good chance DC won't repeat the mistake they made in Heller by petitioning SCOTUS. If we lose in the circuit a SCOTUS petition is almost inevitable.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The DC Circuit is loaded with Obama appointees. That's why Harry Reid used the nuclear option for judicial appointments. Simple majority gets them confirmed.

We live in interesting times as the saying goes.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    DC won't let this sit, at least not yet. You can expect them to seek a stay while they appeal to the DC circuit. After that, who knows? If we win again in the circuit there's a good chance DC won't repeat the mistake they made in Heller by petitioning SCOTUS. If we lose in the circuit a SCOTUS petition is almost inevitable.

The nice thing about the DC circuit. It applies to all federal lands / property :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So now we have this case and the CA/HI cases that are waiting for SCOTUS to say something about?

If SCOTUS denies both cases then carry is pretty much available everywhere except MD, NJ, R.I., and in most areas of NY and MA. Right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom