• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I was planning to go out tomorrow, but going to the range today to eight in my ML, the weather was just miserable. Tomorrow looks like more of the same. 80F, 100% humidity and drizzle does not sound like kind of s fun time.

Looks like a week from tomorrow I’ll run out the moment work is done to do some scouting and run my stand up to find a good spot for early muzzleloader later that week. Crossbow armed scouting. I’ll probably sit the evening.

This is the worst damn fall hunting weather I've seen in a decade.

Too much heat. Too much sun. Too much humidity. Too many bugs.

If our luck doesn't change, we'll get torrential downpours for all ten days of muzzleloader season.

The way Mother Nature is acting this year, I expect we'll be visited by hordes of zombie locust during firearm season.

It's like PETA has voodoo dolls or something.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I can't imagine what it was like being out in the woods this past week. The heat and the bugs must have been terrible. I also don't see enough leaves dropping to get much more than a 15-20 yard shot at the very most. They say it's supposed to get cooler at the end of the week. Depending on the night time temps, maybe hunting will pick up then.

Good luck to all.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Had a fellow out for his first deer kill, arrowed a nice hind down below. He told me he was good with a therma cell, so we walked in a bit and then gave him a bottle of deep woods off to bath in. Mosquitos were plenty thick but sika rut is winding up, stags hollering all over the place down Griffith neck.
    Hope it cools off after this tropical thing gets by. Still good to be in the woods though.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My daughter took a doe Saturday evening with her xbow, so she feel like the weight is off her for now. :) My buddy and I planned to start hunting this weekend coming and she wanted meat before we started.

Last year was worse on the heat. Yes, we should be cooler right now but it was cooler and just warmed back up recently. Last year during early Muzzleloader the deer weren't moving, it was 85 degrees, I was sweating up a storm just packing a chair and gear in the back woods. My buddy made the comment in early Spetember it was 89 degrees "Woo, it feels like early muzzleloader season again!" as a joke from last year.

Then to top it off, we boned out the deer into buckets for the fridge Sunday morning as we had her in the cooler Saturday night. We had the skin off and deboning the front legs and she put on the Country music station in the garage. 99.9 or 104.7, not sure, and a PETA add comes over the radio. She started ranting like it was the political add she didn't want to hear. "They shouldn't accept their money." "I don't want to hear this crap!" :lol2:

22310154_1300236153418764_6359987379277435014_n.jpg

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I can't imagine what it was like being out in the woods this past week. The heat and the bugs must have been terrible. I also don't see enough leaves dropping to get much more than a 15-20 yard shot at the very most. They say it's supposed to get cooler at the end of the week. Depending on the night time temps, maybe hunting will pick up then.

Good luck to all.
    In all honesty, Sat morning was a bit chilly. I was regretting not having a pull over on after sitting for an hour. It was 50 when I got in the stand at 550.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Congrats to your daughter and it sounds like she's got her head on straight. This is refreshing to see and hear.

Thank you for raising a fine American!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    My daughter took a doe Saturday evening with her xbow, so she feel like the weight is off her for now. :) My buddy and I planned to start hunting this weekend coming and she wanted meat before we started.

Last year was worse on the heat. Yes, we should be cooler right now but it was cooler and just warmed back up recently. Last year during early Muzzleloader the deer weren't moving, it was 85 degrees, I was sweating up a storm just packing a chair and gear in the back woods. My buddy made the comment in early Spetember it was 89 degrees "Woo, it feels like early muzzleloader season again!" as a joke from last year.

Then to top it off, we boned out the deer into buckets for the fridge Sunday morning as we had her in the cooler Saturday night. We had the skin off and deboning the front legs and she put on the Country music station in the garage. 99.9 or 104.7, not sure, and a PETA add comes over the radio. She started ranting like it was the political add she didn't want to hear. "They shouldn't accept their money." "I don't want to hear this crap!" :lol2:

Kids covered in Bambi blood.

Love it.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Always love to see pics with kids hunting, great for the future and brings back good memories.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I went out on Saturday. I'm not sure if I never take deer in October because they seem to be very nocturnal (big moon) and dispersed on acorns so I figure it's not worth hunting, or if it's not worth hunting because of those two reasons. So on Saturday I put in a few hours at a spot I thought might be good (kind of a hot day and it's a fairly thin oak woodline between a corn field where they eat/bed and a creek). I didn't see anything...not even a squirrel. I'll hunt ducks the next couple weekends and come back to deer after that. Let me know if you think I'm missing some good opportunities.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I went out on Saturday. I'm not sure if I never take deer in October because they seem to be very nocturnal (big moon) and dispersed on acorns so I figure it's not worth hunting, or if it's not worth hunting because of those two reasons. So on Saturday I put in a few hours at a spot I thought might be good (kind of a hot day and it's a fairly thin oak woodline between a corn field where they eat/bed and a creek). I didn't see anything...not even a squirrel. I'll hunt ducks the next couple weekends and come back to deer after that. Let me know if you think I'm missing some good opportunities.

October lull. Best thing that's worked for me this time of year is to set up in transition areas. Closer to bedding areas in the am(watch your wind!) And closer to feeding areas in the pm. The idea is to catch them coming and going.

Also a good time to start staking out rub lines. You can tell what time of day they're made by the direction the deer was headed when he made them. Was he headed for bed, or was he headed for dinner?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Good luck to all.

Yeah, it looks like it’ll drop in to the 60s for day time highs next week. I am glad I got a climbing stand. Nothing is coming off the tree practically.

I looked out the window this morning, got out of bed and made a large pot of “nope”. Been working on the house instead all day. I plan to get out there after work Monday. Fingers crossed I’ll be in the woods by 3:30. That’ll give me an hour or so to find a likely spot or two and try putting my stand up. Sit a couple of hours and then call it a day. I get a doe, great. If not, I’ll at least have had the chance to look over where I want to setup my stand ML opener morning.

I hope like hell it cools off

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Rob, congrats! If I have time to setup and collapse the blind a buddy let me borrow, next Saturday I might take my son out for the first time (as an observer). If not I’ll try to talk my wife in to letting me take him out the following Saturday, closing day of doe only ML.

acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    On board for this year. Shot this button buck at 15 yards. He was quartering hard towards me but I felt confident on the shot. The shot went on the inside of the left shoulder and out before the right hind leg. He dropped immediately in his tracks but coughed blood for a few minutes. I wasn't going to let him suffer any longer so I sent another bolt from 5yards. Im grateful as always for the opportunity to harvest one of these animals. Also feels good to have the first of the season out of the way, I'm usually less antsy in the woods afterwards.
    cdf6effcd2770b3dd78a746496de165b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Heading out tomorrow for the first time this year, sitting in a buddy's stand. Just joined a club this year and didn't have a chance to go down and set up a stand, mostly due to his schedule. Wanted to go down with a member the first time to show me the property before I set anything up anyway. I plan to hunt a few more times and when rifle opens the week after Thanksgiving. I am easing my way into with having two little kids and the property being 2 hours away.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

congrats to the young huntress!

Always love to see pics with kids hunting, great for the future and brings back good memories.
    :thumbsup:

Opening day (10th Oct) of anyweapon here and yet again saw more hunters than elk. Jumped a few does, sat on the bear bait stand and nothing came in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom