• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elite84

Oct 29, 2008
    what's the final word on the saiga 12 import ban. I can not find a straight answer. All I know is that thay are sky rocketting in price.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD

silverwolf

Feb 14, 2011
    The problem, if I understand correctly, is that congress and the ATF in general have no say in this. It all comes down to the decision of the Attorney General. After reading the report, it looks like they just want to redefine "sporting purpose" to justify banning and/or reclassifying various models of shotguns and possibly rifles and handguns. People are concerned about the future status of the Saiga 12 because there are a couple references to it including a picture of the MD20 drum magazine.

If someone understands the legalities better, please correct me if this is wrong...

Personally I don't think it will be reclassified as a DD simply because the ATF doesn't have the resources to deal with the massive amounts of paperwork that would be required given all the Saiga 12s currently in the country. I think it is very likely that they will ban the importation of them however.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Personally I don't think it will be reclassified as a DD simply because the ATF doesn't have the resources to deal with the massive amounts of paperwork that would be required given all the Saiga 12s currently in the country. I think it is very likely that they will ban the importation of them however.

The Saiga 12 will be banned... trust me... there is no reason they would not ban it... it is an AK variant (they hate it for that), it has an available drum magazine like the street sweeper (they hate that too), and it can be made fully auto like the AA-12 (one more weapon they hate on.) There is enough Saiga 12 hate at the AG's office to heat the eastern seaboard.

Get one now, because you won't be seeing them later at any sane prices.

Mark

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    The Saiga 12 will be banned... trust me... there is no reason they would not ban it... it is an AK variant (they hate it for that), it has an available drum magazine like the street sweeper (they hate that too), and it can be made fully auto like the AA-12 (one more weapon they hate on.) There is enough Saiga 12 hate at the AG's office to heat the eastern seaboard.

Get one now, because you won't be seeing them later at any sane prices.

Mark

Then quit msi and turn over your rifles to the msp bc there is more chance ofstopping this than furthering gun rights in md. Trust me. We have the momentum so let's act like it

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Then quit msi and turn over your rifles to the msp bc there is more chance ofstopping this than furthering gun rights in md. Trust me. We have the momentum so let's act like it

No need to take insult, it's the current state of affairs. Markp was quoting the truth.

The current regime is doing everything in it's power to "redefine" existing law.

Sad but true.

edit: End Run

Last edited:

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    if its banned there will be a court case and they will lose. its funny how the ATF doesnt consider the shooting sports "sporting use"

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    They are still being imported?

Yes, but right now we are in between shipments. Last one from Izhmash was Fall of last year, usually it's 9 months to a year between boatloads and Saigas of all flavors always dry up between them. The "S-12s will be declared DDs" rumor pops up every single year at least once, this is simply the closest the ATF has come to announcing their intent.

With the "Sons of Guns" show and the ATF study, S-12s are at an all-time high demand. Atlantic just got a few of them in from somewhere, but everyone knows they are in demand and low supply and asking a premium for them.

I feel they will be banned from import at *some* point in the future, but I don't feel that the ATF is ready to take that leap just yet. The study is just a foot in the door to redefine "sporting" once again and set precedent. At the moment the only thing the Saiga has against it is the availability of 20-round drums, and the fact that it looks evil when converted. As imported, it is definitely a sporting gun. The ATF has to be able to clearly define what makes a Saiga non-sporting vs other PG or box-fed shotguns first, then they can ban it.

In the unlikely event import is banned *and* they are declared a DD, there would be an NFA amnesty just like with some of the other DD shotguns. Free tax stamps for all. And because the ATF doesn't know who has converted theirs and who has not, it becomes a real nightmare if they are basing the DD definition on features.

Everyone who wants an S-12, wait it out. They aren't banned yet and this likely isn't the last of them... just the warning salvo by the alphabet boys.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

You're right, I'm outta here... Good luck y'all... I quit.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Just kidding... Seriously, lets call this for what it is, it's a textbook Cass Sunstein regulatory tweak... That's exactly what is coming down the pike.

I agree we have the momentum, but to think that this "sporting use" B.S. will be used to our benefit with Holder, Obama, and that new tool heading up the ATF still in control of the regulations is myopic at best.

Mark

Sirex