• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Update: animal control officer paid us a visit and told us that nolan will now be considered a viscous animal which is a big problem which we will appeal. As far as the neighbor goes, i sought legal counsel and told him that i am withholding my home owners insurance info and if he has any questions he can contact the law firm or me directly. I will keep everyone updated. I hope he pushes away from the table and just asks for his vet bill paid.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Good. You called his bluff. Definitely see what you can do to get AC's classification knocked back down to something more rational. Good for you on pushing back in a civilized way.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Good! Did your dog get ANY bites? Just because your dog “beat up” his dog doesn’t make him a bad dog. Who reported to AC? You, your neighbor? Can we “Red Flag” dogs now? Don’t back down if you love your dog.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I went through this on the opposite side 2 years ago. our farm tenants dogs attacked my dog while we were walking on our farm. My dog ended up with bruising and a trip to the vet for small puncture wounds, I had bites from interdicting as well (there is a thread in OT).

Long story short, told tenant to pay medical bills and find new homes for dogs off our property. No police, no animal control, just goodbye. The tenants young wife pushed back and we got ducking nasty. Police, animal control, eviction, they moved within 15 days and the dogs were kenneled off property, lawsuits get real fast.

I’m an animal lover, I had my carry gun on me that day and was in my rights to shoot the pitty that was trying to open up my lab. I didn’t, and I didn’t want to see the dog put down after that either, but in no way would I allow that situation to be repeated again and that’s probably your neighbors point of view.

One bite shouldn’t condem your dog, but you might have to fight to ensure that. I hope that the issue is resolved for you and your pup!

EdHershon

Oct 2, 2018
    Annapolis
    Hey guys i had a question regarding my dog attacking my neighbors dog. Yesterday evening my dog nolan which is a pitt mix was on his walk. As we were walking up the driveway our neighbor was walking down. For whatever reason nolan started freaking out and some how got out of his harness and bites our neighbors dog. The neighbors dog was hurt and needed stiches but is still alive. I know i am on the hook for the vet bill at the very least, and i know i will have to register nolan on a dangerous dog list. My question is what can i expect next, can my neighbor sue me for everything im worth and can they put my dog down for this?

I’m a lawyer. Contact your insurance agent and let him/her know what happened. If you get sued let the insurance company know and they will hire an attorney for you. You turn it over to them. Most likely the case will never see the inside of a courtroom.

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Ok so update. I was informed by the animal control officer via email that my neighbor wants his dogs medical bills paid and that will be it. I also recieved a letter yesterday from my neighbor saying they want there vet bill paid with a copy of the bill. We payed the bill today so we are done with this ordeal. As far as the ASPCA goes, we are petitioning to have the viscous lable reduced to potentially dangerous.

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Bboarder i understand where you and my neighbor are coming from, and i was definitely in the wrong. I know what the smart thing to do is, but what i dont like was how he choice to handle the situation. Anyways we are taking measures to ensure this will never ever happen again.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Ok so update. I was informed by the animal control officer via email that my neighbor wants his dogs medical bills paid and that will be it. I also recieved a letter yesterday from my neighbor saying they want there vet bill paid with a copy of the bill. We payed the bill today so we are done with this ordeal. As far as the ASPCA goes, we are petitioning to have the viscous lable reduced to potentially dangerous.

I hope that the bill had a release clause you wrote on it stating that “this constitutes full payment and settlement concerning the incident between my dog and your dog. No further payment expected”. Hope this yahoo doesn’t come back in a few months wanting further expenses paid for other ailments. Good luck and good for refusing to put down your “family” member.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    So, after 2 weeks of this mess your neighbor demanded that you do what you were willing to do on day 1?

All's well that ends well

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Bboarder i understand where you and my neighbor are coming from, and i was definitely in the wrong. I know what the smart thing to do is, but what i dont like was how he choice to handle the situation. Anyways we are taking measures to ensure this will never ever happen again.

I’m glad it worked out for you, I would never want to see a 4 legged friend put down. Get something signed from the neighbor, just to say the “claim” is settled...

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel

Well done! Hope this issue is behind you - for both you and the neighbor. Hopefully he will get off his high horse and just let bygones be bygones..

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I admit to not having read most of the thread.

I would caution anyone about informing the homeowner's insurance people. Often they will drop your coverage unless you get rid of the dog.

"Pit Bull" is not a breed; there's no real definition except the "I know it when I see it" BS. My dog is a Boxer mix.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    "Pit Bull" is not a breed

The American Pit Bull Terrier would disagree with you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pit_Bull_Terrier

The problem is any blocky head dog gets called a pit bull because it's easier for people to say that than to figure out what kind of dog it is. Shelters label everything a pit mix or more commonly "lab mix" because they won't/can't afford to do DNA tests to label things like they are. American Staffordshire Terriers, American Bulldogs, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and others all get lumped together under the "pit bull" umbrella even though they are individual breeds and there is only one true pit bull the APBT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom