• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Mossberg for the quality and Remington for the trigger safety. Perfect world is a Mossberg with the 870 trigger safety assembly. :)

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I am a waterfowl hunter and hard on shotguns. Neither the 500 or the 870 as they are made now would top my list if its an every day use gun. I have a 1990 870 and love it, but the new express line is cheap. I would vote the 500 over the 870 express any day. I have a 500 from '92 that the daughter uses for waterfowl and I used in the past and it works, but the safety has had issues and needs to be oiled. As I said I am hard on my guns and it sits in the pouring rain. Plus the 500 can hold 5 - 2 3/4" shells in the magazine with the plug out.

If you wanted a quality pump I would look more to a BPS or a Nova or something like that. BPS has bottom ejection which is nice in confined areas.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    The 500 is the only shotgun I have ever owned for 25+ years. Great gun, great price. The safety location is the reason I went with them, and I have never looked back. I just think the safety is in a better position and I'm less likely to disengage it by accident. It's also more obvious to the eye as to whether it's on or not (in my opinion). Both are great guns - really comes down to safety location preference.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    why don't you do what everyone else does?

buy both with the intention of selling the one you like least, and then in 5 years you just keep the one you don't like in the safe as a decoration and you don't ever sell either.

a win win if you ask me

Michael S

Nov 6, 2012
    Towson
    I own both, 500 worked perfect out of box. Bought a 870 for my wife to try skeet first time out would not eject shells after three shoots. I have to send back for warranty work will take a month, Good customer service but WTH, They told me they have that problem with 1 out every couple of hundred

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I like the 870, but when I was new to SG's I did manage to not insert a shell far enough up into the mag. It popped back out, tying up the action, until I was able to take the spine of my knife and push it in far enough to get loading gate depressed. Quite some time. In a firefight I would have been done. Won't happen with a Mossberg. Lucky it was a local deer hunt, worse case is drive home. That 870 is a part of the HD plan, but I know about the ability of it to jam and how to correctly load it now.

Get a Mossberg.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have an 870 and my son has a 500. 870 has a 3.5lb trigger and the 500 has a 2 stage with about 5 1/2lb total. I threw the trigger gauge on it and the first stage was about 2lb.
    I will say, my friend got the 500 combo last week with the scope and I shot it offhand at 100 yards once after zeroing it and hit a 5" circle so I'm eager to work with him to test some loads. Made me jelly he got it for $320 thanksgiving week. His combo had the cheek inserts which was nice how he could add more for when it was scoped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom