• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    You can purchase the lower anywhere, from a local dealer or online. If you purchase online, you must provide a copy of your dealer's FFL, and the retailer will ship the lower to your dealer. When you fill out the ATF paperwork with your Maryland FFL Dealer for the lower receiver transfer, they will require you to provide the WEB number you receive after completion of the online MSP safety course. Without that number, they cannot submit the paperwork. So yes, you need to complete the course prior to completing the transfer.

For lowers, BCM requires you to mail in their completed order form, a copy of your dealer's FFL, and payment (including shipping) in the form of a USPS Money Order. This is all explained on their PDF order form. Everything else can be purchased with debit/credit card, or mailed payment. Obviously the benefit of buying from a local retailer is you can see it first, and get it right away. The benefit of buying online is you avoid sales tax, but might pay some shipping (depending on who you buy from).

Don't be intimidated by buying the upper assembly (upper receiver with forward assist , dust cover, barrel, gas tube, and handguard already installed) and the bolt carrier group separate. The BCG slides right into the upper as an assembly, and removing it is part of the field strip/cleaning process anyway. The only other part you'll need is the charging handle, BCM has several sizes of their popular "Gunfighter" model you can choose from. I like the medium (Mod 4 I think). First timers sometimes are confused as to how the charging handle fits.. it starts low, slides in about an inch, then clicks up into the upper receiver before being pushed fully forward. The two "ears" fit into cutouts.. you'll understand when you see it.

Personally I really like the 12" Daniel Defense Lite rail system. It's stiff but light, doesn't touch the barrel (fully floated), has a full-length rail that matches up to a flat-top rail receiver perfectly. The rail is numbered for easy re-configuration. Strong durable finish and for what it's worth, I think it looks great too. BCM's complete upper with 16" cold hammer forged govt profile barrel and DD 12" rail is like $875. LaRue Tactical and VLTOR are also good options.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    BCM isn't taking orders online right now. However, any dealer who uses RSR group as a wholesaler may be able to get one through them, since RSR is the only wholesale distributor of BCM.

RSR will not ship any BCM rifles or lowers to us as they come with 30 round magazines. RSR refuses to remove the magazines and BCM refuses to sell direct. So both RSR and BCM are sodomizing us. So it has to be transfered as far as I know.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    RSR will not ship any BCM rifles or lowers to us as they come with 30 round magazines. RSR refuses to remove the magazines and BCM refuses to sell direct. So both RSR and BCM are sodomizing us. So it has to be transfered as far as I know.

So if I wanted a BCM lower, what would I have to do?

Last edited:

Alaskacajun

Aug 30, 2011

I found my BCM lower on an AR-15 (:D) website that is linked above... it was "used" but the guy I got it from bought it... never put an upper on it... put it in his safe.... then decided to sell it to finance another project. I paid $300 shipped.

- Clint

jjrgr21

May 5, 2011
    don't bother with aim surplus, they're a nightmare to deal with. there's a guy in hagerstown that deals with stag. 115 for a stripped lower + 10 for state police. and you don't have to pay an ffl transfer. he runs the arrow and bullet, super nice guy. and steer clear of atlantic unless you don't mind paying a premium.

you can get and build the lower, and then check this and the other forums for good deals on uppers.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore

Some of the posts in this thread are REALLY confusing the newbie OP. Some of the posts are pushing various retailers whom you do not have to go through (GandR, aimsurplus, RSR whomever they are, etc.). There is no need to buy through a "tactical retailer" when you can order direct from the manufacturer.

Stag lowers are fine... but they're the bottom of the barrel from what I've seen regarding fit and finish. Most local guys stock them because they make the biggest profit margin with minimal markup.

If you order a BCM lower, by itself, stripped or complete, it doesn't come with magazines that restrict it from being shipped to Maryland. They are talking about the shipment of complete guns that include the magazine, and the reseller (not BCM) refuses to remove the magazine prior (at least that's how I'm reading it, so why even bother with them when you can order direct?).

As I said before... you can order your lower, stripped or complete, directly from BCM's website. Have it shipped to your FFL Dealer. Do the paperwork. Wait 7 days. Pick it up. It's super simple.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Well, I just "pulled the trigger" on the BCM upper I was looking at... Im excited about it. Im not sure what Im going to do about the lower yet. The BCM lower is very appealing, but I might consider building one on a stripped platform. I'll post pics when it starts to come together.

Thanks for all the input guys!

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Well, I just "pulled the trigger" on the BCM upper I was looking at... Im excited about it. Im not sure what Im going to do about the lower yet. The BCM lower is very appealing, but I might consider building one on a stripped platform. I'll post pics when it starts to come together.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Very good choice. BCM wont let you down. Its also a company founded by a Leatherneck, so you can trust the quality and rifle ;)

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    Welcome to the forum I see your getting alot of advice To let you know Cladestine is the guy to listen to He has the working knowledge of firearms You want to spend the money BCM is a good way to go. I have a 16in spikes mid length very pleased complete upper with m16 bcg and st t2 under 500 and check out the posts by Hog Sniper he has Stags at a great price keep us posted on what you get good hunting

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Welcome to the forum I see your getting alot of advice To let you know Cladestine is the guy to listen to He has the working knowledge of firearms You want to spend the money BCM is a good way to go. I have a 16in spikes mid length very pleased complete upper with m16 bcg and st t2 under 500 and check out the posts by Hog Sniper he has Stags at a great price keep us posted on what you get good hunting

Ill sum up all Clandestine's knowledge here:

.40S&W is the ultimate caliber, especially when firing steel case out of a Glock

Men are good for more than company

1911 is the end all be all pistol

Nutnfancy is his idle, listen to all he says

Does that about sum it up?:lol2:

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I have a bushmaster and will be upgrading to a BCM upper soon.

IMHO BCM is equal to Colt in milspec.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

.40S&W is the ultimate caliber, especially when firing steel case out of a Glock

You are dead to me................

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere

This is why I come to the forum Man I can FEEL THE LOVE:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981