• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    My apologies for the thread necro. Hopefully my fellow shooters with Astigmatism will get some use from this post.

I am happy to report that the Trijicon MRO gets my Astigmatic seal of approval/hubris. 2A Sales had them available to look through, and for whatever reason the MRO works for me. It is a relief to be able to use a red dot again. It's even usable at close range without my corrective lenses on. It's not perfect even with contacts or glasses, but it's miles better than any other I've tried (even the Aimpoint T2). If I turn it up too bright, it kind of looks like a faint mirror image of an Eye of Horus, but is still very usable. At lower brightness settings it looks almost like what I imagine you normals see.

Obviously every person with Astigmatism is going to perceive red dots differently, so please do not make any purchases bases on my recommendation without looking through it in person at a brick and mortar. Preferably a local one like 2A, who happens to have them for a competitive price.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    My apologies for the thread necro. Hopefully my fellow shooters with Astigmatism will get some use from this post.

I am happy to report that the Trijicon MRO gets my Astigmatic seal of approval/hubris. 2A Sales had them available to look through, and for whatever reason the MRO works for me. It is a relief to be able to use a red dot again. It's even usable at close range without my corrective lenses on. It's not perfect even with contacts or glasses, but it's miles better than any other I've tried (even the Aimpoint T2). If I turn it up too bright, it kind of looks like a faint mirror image of an Eye of Horus, but is still very usable. At lower brightness settings it looks almost like what I imagine you normals see.

Obviously every person with Astigmatism is going to perceive red dots differently, so please do not make any purchases bases on my recommendation without looking through it in person at a brick and mortar. Preferably a local one like 2A, who happens to have them for a competitive price.

Thanks for the update!

I can finally update that over Thanksgiving weekend, I was able to sight in my Sightmark red dot. I have it set to the dot with a circle around it, and it's very clear. Also, the Scorpion is a nail driver at 50 yds with the red dot on it.

-John

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Thanks for the update!

I can finally update that over Thanksgiving weekend, I was able to sight in my Sightmark red dot. I have it set to the dot with a circle around it, and it's very clear. Also, the Scorpion is a nail driver at 50 yds with the red dot on it.

-John
    I'm glad it worked out for you. I could have sworn I'd looked through an MRO before now, but I must have been imagining things. Or my astigmatism has changed again and red dots aren't as affected by it . . . For now. Dang faulty eyeballs. I guess I need to look through some more red dots soon and see if I notice a general improvement so I can figure out if it's just my eyes or my eyes and my memory I need to worry about.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I has lasik done about a month ago. I was at the range today and I the Spark AR red dot actually now looks like a “red dot”. Before it was a “pear shaped” blob.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I just did a quick SBS of the Trijicn MRO and Holosun HS515c, which is the only other red dot I have sitting around. Not a super fair comparison given the street price difference, but it's what I have available. The Trijicon red dot is super easy to find and jumps out at me. Very easy to look through. The Holosun I have a lot more trouble looking through or picking up. For whatever reason my eye wants to focus on the killflash, which is not a problem I had back when I could use red dots more easily. I don't know if that is related to why I have so much trouble picking out either Holosun reticle, but it's there. When I do manage to find the red dot, my vision swims in and out of focus rapidly, and eyestrain starts to be evident pretty quickly. I am not sure how much is the smaller FOV and killflash. Might just be the killflash interacting with my garbage eyesight. I'd be interested to see if I have the same issues without the killflash, but I am not sure it is removable from the Holosun. Need to check the manual. Regardless, the red dot on the Holosun looks like a jellyfish swimming from right to left. Better than a starburst, but still distracting compared to the MRO.

So there you have it: a quick comparison completely lacking in scientific controls. I expect you all to run out and spend your hard earned dollars accordingly.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    what is lasik even going for these days?

I did mine at Lasik Plus. $3500 total. I now wish I would have done it sooner. I like that I can look through a rifle scope without progressive lenses. Much better. I’m still getting used to losing my near vision and needing reading glasses. I was trying to solder something over the weekend and I had to make some adjustments how I would have worked close up prior to Lasik.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I have a Vortex red dot on my 300 BO and until yesterday it looked like a distant nebula now the dot is a dot! I'm not sure if an astigmatism can go away but I can see the dot as a dot now. Funny thing, get kicked in the head by a horse and dots get blurry, get kicked in the head by a cow and dots are clear??? and I learned not to try to milk the bull!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I have a Vortex red dot on my 300 BO and until yesterday it looked like a distant nebula now the dot is a dot! I'm not sure if an astigmatism can go away but I can see the dot as a dot now. Funny thing, get kicked in the head by a horse and dots get blurry, get kicked in the head by a cow and dots are clear??? and I learned not to try to milk the bull!

There are some very specific things that can cause changing astigmatism. Might be worth mentioning at your next visit to the eye Doc.

pm410

Nov 23, 2012
    So I’ve developed one in the last year which has knocked out every brand. Aimpoint, MRO, LCO.. I’m going to an accupoint 1-6 now

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Try looking through your backup site peep. I deal with the odd shape but, if I want to shoot somewhat precise, looking through the backup site clears it right up. I have bought prism or light 1-4 recently though

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    the leupold 1-4 power fire dot hog scopes aren't bad on my astigmatism. Although mine is relatively mild, the dot is so small that I almost cant notice any starburst.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    I has lasik done about a month ago. I was at the range today and I the Spark AR red dot actually now looks like a “red dot”. Before it was a “pear shaped” blob.

Funny you say that, I also had corrective surgery. After I was all healed up and looked through my red dot sights I said to myself "oh thats what its supposed to look like!" I never knew any different, didn't know my vision made it not look they way it was supposed to. Close to 10 years in the Army using various red dot sights and I had no idea.
    Best money I've spent.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    usually a red dot looks distorted to me, I also have astigmatism, it doesnt look like a banana though...just is more like a blurry blob. Scope works ok for me.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I can say The Wilmer Eye Institute at John Hopkins is outstanding. I have I have BCBS Blue Vision and they helped for lenses inserted in my eyes to correct both of my eyes. They also have a program where if you can not pay for the lens and you qualifie they have a program that will pay for the lenses they put into your eyes. Both my eyes were so bad and i was very near sighted on top of that as well. Now i have 20/20 vision in both eyes....
    I used Azar, in Salisbury and for cataract surgery, and the subsequent frosting that occurs in about 3-5% of post cataract corrections. I went from an 8+ diopter Rx down to very light, low Rx and sights haven't looked this sharp in over a decade.:thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You all do know there is a simpler solution.

Glasses.

And since most of us wear shooting glasses, getting prescription lenses for them is not a big deal.

I get mine through Morgan Optical. http://www.morganoptical.net/

They are shooters and understand the needs of shooters.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Glasses.

And since most of us wear shooting glasses, getting prescription lenses for them is not a big deal.

I have astigmatism, but also have to wear glasses for distance vision. Without glasses I have big problems with red dots. With them, no issues at all.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

Glasses.

My astigmatism was not fully corrected with glasses. It’s not that it was a big deal to have a blobby looking red dot either. In the end I did the Lasik for prepper reasons. I don’t really care how I look I had worn glasses for 45yrs, and Im wearing readers right now as I type on my phone.

I figured if SHTF or even in other emergency situations the corrective procedure was the best bang for the buck. I could spend $3600 on more guns, ammo, supplies. However I was ever running for my life or and lost or broke my glasses I would really decrease my chances for survival. I also thought about crashing my car in the water or being in a fire and trying to escape without glasses. It just seemed to outweigh the cost and risk.

I did buy shooting glasses with reader magnification at the bottom. These work great btw.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017

Glasses.

My astigmatism isn't fully correctable with glasses or contacts, unfortunately.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Since this thread is getting into various eye problems It should be a good place for this link I found written by an eye doctor who is a shooter.

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

It includes several articles on Red Dots and more important a piece written by a shooter eye professional for other eye professionals to help them understand a shooters visual problems and needs. You should share this with your eye care professional.

BULLSEYE SHOOTERS' GUIDE FOR THE EYECARE PROFESSIONAL
    http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongmain/eyeguide.html
    and
    Updates to the Bullseye Shooters' Guide For The Eyecare Professional
    http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongmain/guideupdates.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver