• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River Hill

Dec 15, 2012
    Maryland
    Are there any forms or anything I need to get someone to sign if selling a rifle or shotgun to an individual in MD?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Nothing is required, but there's nothing wrong with making a bill of sale for personal keeping.

Also, be sure the individual isn't a prohibited person and that they are a MD resident.

IANAL

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I def recommend a bill of sale. I would include language that the buyer certifies under oath he is not a prohibited person.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You need to give a little more info on the rifle to get a good answer. An AR15 is a rifle, but unless it's an HBAR, you can't sell it to someone in Maryland. Same thing for an AK47, that's a rifle but you can't sell it. And believe it or not, there are a few shotguns that can't be sold in Maryland.

Not trying to be difficult, but more information is needed to get your answers. Just tell us what you're selling and we'll probably tell you that it's okay. I just don't want to throw a blanket statement out there until I know exactly what you're selling.

Last edited:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Lol, at all the guys expanding the simple answer of "NO". ;)

Those guys are trying to make sure that all contingencies are covered. Your question left out a lot of necessary information.

Such as...
    • Type of long gun? / No "non HBAR" AR15s (post 10/01/13)
    • Manufacturers name? / NO Bushmaster brand rifles
    • And other issues which pertain to a comprehensive response

The devil inhabits the details...

River Hill

Dec 15, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks guys for the information.

Just just to get rid of some stuff I don't use and looking at another toy. I will be posting these soon in the classifieds on this site. They should all be good.

Tikka T3 Lite .243 with Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 Scope
    Thompson/Center Triumph Bone Collector .50 with Leopold VX1 2-7x33 Scope
    Possible my Beretta A400 Shotgun

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Nothing is required, but there's nothing wrong with making a bill of sale for personal keeping.

Also, be sure the individual isn't a prohibited person and that they are a MD resident.

IANAL

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a couple of long guns that I'm looking to sell. How would one accomplish the bolded part above? Also, is a valid MD driver's license enough to satisfy the MD residency issue? Thanks

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    The following is the form I use for non-regulated firearm sell to MD resident. I retain a copy for myself and give copy to buyer.

Maryland Non-Regulated Firearm
    BILL OF SALE​

Date: _________

_____________________ ("SELLER") and

_____________________ ("BUYER") agree as follows:

For the payment of the sum of $ _________ by BUYER and other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, SELLER does hereby sell, transfer, and convey to BUYER the following described firearm:

Model & Caliber:

Make:

Serial Number:

Seller’s Driver’s License Number:

Buyer’s Driver’s License or HQL #

The said firearm is being sold "as is" without any express or implied warranty as to condition or working order.

Seller Signature & Date:

Buyer Signature & Date:

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a couple of long guns that I'm looking to sell. How would one accomplish the bolded part above? Also, is a valid MD driver's license enough to satisfy the MD residency issue? Thanks

The MD license is all you need when making a (long gun) purchase at an FFL, so it should be enough to satisfy MD residency.

I don't have an answer regarding making sure a person is not "prohibited," but the safest thing you can do is transfer through an FFL who can check the NCIS. Obviously, you don't have to, but seems like the extra cost will cover your @ss a bit more.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

The MD license is all you need when making a (long gun) purchase at an FFL, so it should be enough to satisfy MD residency.

I don't have an answer regarding making sure a person is not "prohibited," but the safest thing you can do is transfer through an FFL who can check the NCIS. Obviously, you don't have to, but seems like the extra cost will cover your @ss a bit more.

Here is a basic search for MD citizens:

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/casesearch/

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

As an individual you are not required to determine whether someone is prohibited or not, you really don't have access to that info. As long as you have no reason to believe they are prohibited, that's what's required of you. Looking them up on case search and having them sign a paper stating that they are not prohibited are good ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom