• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    White Oak barrels are world class. You'd rather take a $200 chance on a clearance special from a different company you know nothing about? If there's one thing I wouldn't cheap out on, it's the barrel.

fectin

Apr 26, 2014
    White Oak barrels are world class. You'd rather take a $200 chance on a clearance special from a different company you know nothing about? If there's one thing I wouldn't cheap out on, it's the barrel.

It's not that I'd rather either, just that I'm ignorant of both.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    White Oak is a half-pound heavier and ~$180 more. Are they that much better?

I was going to start a thread asking the same thing.

I know WO has a great reputation, but for the average joe that shoots out to 100 yards on a regular basis and 300 yards here and there, is there really much difference?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    This is really going to put a monkey wrench into everything. One word: SHILEN.

I have a 20' Shilen SS 1:8 223 Wylde HBAR on my precision build. It came with a matched bolt. It is married to an Engage Armament E4 billet upper/lower set with a NM bolt carrier, Rainer Arms Raptor charging handle, 14" Engage branded Fortis REV rail, Magpul UBR, RRA NM LPK, and some other random things.

So far, I nailed a 400 yard headshot on a coyote with it.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3200278&postcount=223

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Go with Faxon, and whatever you get, make sure it's nitrided or chromed

Oh, and while Shilen barrels are BALLS expensive, they are world class. The whole reason I even fell in love with nitriding was a friend getting his Shilen barrel processed to double it's accurate barrel life.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Rainier Arms Ultra Match barrels are rebranded Shilens at a good price. Getting ready to grab one shortly myself actually.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hey folks.

I went looking for an HBAR Barrel, 16 inches, fluted to minimize weight, and found the following. Anyone have any experience with the vendor, advice, or alternate options?

http://www.cobratacsystems.com/coll...iral-fluted-match-223-5-56?variant=3869859649

For what it's worth, it looks like they're a different company from the much-hated Cobra Tactical Systems.

No. Ill explain.

A Barrel that is Nitrided with the Barrel Extension installed during the process is likely to cause the Barrel to unscrew from the extension. Basically if the BBL extension is in the white and the barrel is black, it was done seperately. If they are the same color they were likely done together. Thats bad.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    No. Ill explain.

A Barrel that is Nitrided with the Barrel Extension installed during the process is likely to cause the Barrel to unscrew from the extension. Basically if the BBL extension is in the white and the barrel is black, it was done seperately. If they are the same color they were likely done together. Thats bad.

What causes that?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Rainier Arms Ultra Match barrels are rebranded Shilens at a good price. Getting ready to grab one shortly myself actually.

My next precision barrel will be one of the Rainer Ultra Match barrels. I looked at them originally for my precision build, but decided against it, because they didn't have them in stock. Midway had my Shilen barrel in stock, so I went that route. Also being able to say it has a Shilen barrel is a huge bonus. :D

EDIT:
    Do the Ultra Match barrels come with a matched headspaced bolt? If it does, then I'll probably order one ASAP, because that is a selling point for me.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Go with Faxon, and whatever you get, make sure it's nitrided or chromed

Oh, and while Shilen barrels are BALLS expensive, they are world class. The whole reason I even fell in love with nitriding was a friend getting his Shilen barrel processed to double it's accurate barrel life.

Next Shilen I get, I'm going to look into getting it nitrided.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What causes that?

I cant say with 100 percent certainty. The cases I have seen appear to be either corrosion from the process, OR the Barrel Extensions just coming loose which may be a result of the process when the items are assembled then treated.

This applies to Bolt Action Rifles that are nitrided with the Barrel Installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom