• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • regulator

I am definately looking forward to deer season this year. I need the break from work. I am thinking about heading up to Green Ridge, but I sure as hell am not going on opening day. Looking to go mid week, maybe an overnight.

My question is for those that have hunted there. Where is a good spot? I'm not asking for your honey holes, just a good starting spot. I've started looking at some topo's, but would like some insider info from those of you that know the area a little better.

Thanks in advance for any help

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    At the bottom by the circle there are a few nice places to walk in the woods to hunt. With that being said I WILL NEVER HUNT THERE EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    For Deer, go in thru Little Orleans which ends up on OLD Town Rd. Follow Oldtown for a few miles and you will come intersect DugHill Rd. Anywhere on Oldtown between DugHill and Mertens usually has good Deer movement, just pull into a cutout and walk in.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I am definately looking forward to deer season this year. I need the break from work. I am thinking about heading up to Green Ridge, but I sure as hell am not going on opening day. Looking to go mid week, maybe an overnight.

My question is for those that have hunted there. Where is a good spot?

In the midst of several large boulders taller than our head. Getting to them and back out may be a challenge though.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    At the bottom by the circle there are a few nice places to walk in the woods to hunt. With that being said I WILL NEVER HUNT THERE EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Does this have to do with you seeing a mountain lion and literally pissing all over yourself? :lol2:

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    Ive been hunting there for 20 yrs........it was good hunting for the first five years then it dropped off. I still go every year but its more of a family tradition than an actual deer hunt. Nice place but no deer.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Does this have to do with you seeing a mountain lion and literally pissing all over yourself? :lol2:

No I'd pee my pants everyday that was AWESOME!!! When the sun came up and there was more orange hats then trees I called it quits.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Is there a reason you picked that area? Just wondering about the special care in harvesting a deer in the CWD region.

It's a little far for me, so I hunt Frederick County, but you're wise to skip the opener. I also go during the middle of the week and hardly see another hunter.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland

My question is for those that have hunted there. Where is a good spot? I'm not asking for your honey holes, just a good starting spot. I've started looking at some topo's, but would like some insider info from those of you that know the area a little better.

Thanks in advance for any help

You have a better chance of bagging a deer on first day up Green Ridge --- save for the unethical early muzzleloader season --- because 90% of the bucks are taken on first day. Look for spots on the topo map that have ridges spreading out down from the main ridge, instead of one steep drop to the bottom. It's easier to walk the tops of these lower ridges, so you can easily traverse and explore your area. Same goes for deer.

Don't forget to bring a compass along with a GPS unit, especially on cloudy days, that can easily get you turned around.

Is there a reason you picked that area? Just wondering about the special care in harvesting a deer in the CWD region.

No special reason. Just looking for something different, but still close enough to home.

I'd recommend Warrior Mtn. over Green Ridge.It doesn't get as packed due to not having as many roads through it,you have to walk a little more but that keeps the pressure and number of hunters to a minimum.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    A camping permit has increased to $10 per night. Check-in or call the forest headquarters to see if their are any fire restrictions. Ask the park police that drive around the roads for any good hunting area information. They will usually stop and inspect for any loaded firearms in each camp --- which are restricted. Get the headquarters phone number.

Squirrels and deer are mostly shot out --- even the chipmunks are shot out --- the timber rattlers appear to be non-existing around Green Ridge. Be aware of lots of traffic, that are hauling ATV's to and from Stafford Road. Coyote packs are present, as for a bear or two.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I camped out at Green Ridge with a group from a bowhunting organization here in the "free" state a few years ago. Nobody took a deer during the weekend hunt and nobody saw any either. There were plenty of people camping out in the area and most of the deer probably left the area, not to be seen again until after hunting season. I imagine it is even worse during the firearms season and I would have real safety concerns there. Warrior Mountain is more remote and I scouted it last year, but have no idea how many people show up during the season. Many WMAs look like parking lots when firearms deer season opens up. The guys from the bowhunting group were not to bothered, spending their time eating meals cooked at the camp. They were a bunch of crackers though, yucking it up with racist jokes and other boneheaded tales. That was enough for me with that gang.

No_comment

Oct 19, 2013
    I camped out at Green Ridge with a group from a bowhunting organization here in the "free" state a few years ago. Nobody took a deer during the weekend hunt and nobody saw any either. There were plenty of people camping out in the area and most of the deer probably left the area, not to be seen again until after hunting season. I imagine it is even worse during the firearms season and I would have real safety concerns there.

In several weeks I'm scheduled to go camping there with some friends and family but perhaps we should reconsider.

dforeman

Aug 9, 2013
    Like others have mentioned, Green Ridge is ok. But, it gets a lot of pressure during riffle season. I've found that Green Ridge is best hunted in the early part of the bow season. During and after riffle season, the odds are pretty much against you. You might want to check out Billmeyer WMA (just to the north of Green Ridge). I'm not sure how hard that area gets hit. I usually only hit that area up for Spring Turkey Season. There is also Indian Springs WMA there outside of Clear Spring. There is a lot of open fields and brush there that they do the bird/rabbit dog trials on in the fall. But what a lot of folks don't know is that there are also some nice pockets of woods in between the fields and the opposite side of the road for deer, squirl, etc. However, there are no camping sites like you see all over Green Ridge. You can always travel a few miles further to Savage River SF. It is a lot like Green Ridge with camping sites and such. But, it doesn't get as much hunting pressure due to it being farther away and having steeper slopes to travers. Trust me; if you happen to shoot a deer at the bottom of one of those ravines, dragging that puppy out will be a work out. Warrior Mountain is also a nice area to hunt and there is a small camping area there. However, there are also a lot of private hunting lands/clubs surrounding it. But, I've only hit it up for Spring Turkey Season myself.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I live in the western part of the state, Indian Springs backs up close to my property and the ongoing jokes about folks coming up from the city and shooting the farmers goats never gets old and believe it or not, it does happen. :lol2: Spike buck.....

If you hunt on state ground, please be careful and watch out for the idiots. A lot of the hunters get deer fever and don't even consider what lies beyond their shot or if someone is in their line of fire.

Then you get the fat bastards with all their new hunting clothes, armed with a .300 win mag, so they make sure to kill and gut the deer with one shot. They end up having heart attacks in the woods trying to drag a yearling doe the size of a collie out. But, they looked damn good doing it... :lol:

Lots of good state ground stories..... :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom