Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports

Join MD Shooters

Old May 30th, 2018, 08:01 PM #1

Newbie boating question

So my wife & I are getting our first boat. (Well sorta - a decade or so back we bought a small inflatable (dingy) but it was under-powered for what we wanted to do and we never got to use it as we planned.) We pick up the (brand new) boat Friday afternoon.

So here's my question. I'm of course getting insurance for the boat with Allstate. They offer $1,0000 for emergency services as part of their basic package, but for an additional $10 a year more will bump it up to $3,000 per incident.

Yeah, I know, it's only $10 a year, but in reality would I ever use more than $1,000 for emergency services (e.g. towing, etc.)? It's nice to say "more is always better" and of course it is, but then where do you stop? Three grand? Five grand? Ten? No point in getting silly or over-buying.

Oh I should hasten to add this is a 20' pleasure boat (pontoon) and we're only planning to stay in the tributaries of the bay or hug the coast along the upper portion of the bay. Yeah, I'm not taking it out in the deep water or the lower portions of the bay. This is a close-to-shore putzing along boat: fishing, swimming, and just being lazy out on the water.

Thoughts from those of you more experienced in this than me? (That's not hard.) Thanks.
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:04 PM #2
The one with two L

The one with two L

A TowBoatUS membership is money well spent.
traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:17 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
A TowBoatUS membership is money well spent.
I agree, while the Allstate coverage is probably adequate, Allstate does not have a fleet of towboats, so you will have to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed from Allstate. Also, if you need a tow on a busy weekend, TowboatUS is going to service their own members before they get to you, so make sure you bring your lunch.
NYCFGC
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:21 PM #4

When you call for a boat to tow you, they charge from the time they start their engine until they shut it off at their home pier. Towing a boat is NOT CHEAP!
kalister1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:27 PM #5

I'll check out TowBoatUS. Thanks. I assume that's like AAA on the waves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalister1 View Post
When you call for a boat to tow you, they charge from the time they start their engine until they shut it off at their home pier. Towing a boat is NOT CHEAP!
I understand which is why I asked the question. But $1K is already not cheap. But would it be over $1K in the area I just described?

Thanks all.
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:46 PM #6

i believe ustowboat, is about $150.00 for the year
dedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:50 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aray View Post
So my wife & I are getting our first boat. (Well sorta - a decade or so back we bought a small inflatable (dingy) but it was under-powered for what we wanted to do and we never got to use it as we planned.) We pick up the (brand new) boat Friday afternoon.

So here's my question. I'm of course getting insurance for the boat with Allstate. They offer $1,0000 for emergency services as part of their basic package, but for an additional $10 a year more will bump it up to $3,000 per incident.

Yeah, I know, it's only $10 a year, but in reality would I ever use more than $1,000 for emergency services (e.g. towing, etc.)? It's nice to say "more is always better" and of course it is, but then where do you stop? Three grand? Five grand? Ten? No point in getting silly or over-buying.

Oh I should hasten to add this is a 20' pleasure boat (pontoon) and we're only planning to stay in the tributaries of the bay or hug the coast along the upper portion of the bay. Yeah, I'm not taking it out in the deep water or the lower portions of the bay. This is a close-to-shore putzing along boat: fishing, swimming, and just being lazy out on the water.

Thoughts from those of you more experienced in this than me? (That's not hard.) Thanks.
I have had 7 boats. Been towed several times. BoatUS is a good deal. I got the $1000 package after paying $500 out of pocket for a ten minute tow..
Old May 30th, 2018, 09:01 PM #8
OP4

OP4

I have Towboat. $125 a year if you get at the boatshow. It paid for itself two months ago. My engine died permamently about 6 miles south of New Smyrna Beach Fl. The tow to the city marina cost me nothing. The tow captain told me that it would have cost 650 plus without a membership.
Old May 30th, 2018, 09:08 PM #9

I understand which is why I asked the question. But $1K is already not cheap. But would it be over $1K in the area I just described?

Thanks all.

It sure could be,especially if after dark
duckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 09:11 PM #10
The one with two L

The one with two L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
I agree, while the Allstate coverage is probably adequate, Allstate does not have a fleet of towboats, so you will have to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed from Allstate. Also, if you need a tow on a busy weekend, TowboatUS is going to service their own members before they get to you, so make sure you bring your lunch.
Also, the insurance coverage is when you suffer an insured event, like a hard grounding or collision and you need tow or salvage services. The Towboat membership will cover you in cases like fuel contamination or if you just do something dumb like venturing into too shallow of a creek.
traveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports