• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have a CMMG mutant, love shooting it! Also shot a full auto 1 in GA that CMMG said as of that date had 52000 rds thru it. What a hoot !!!!

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    I have a CMMG mutant, love shooting it! Also shot a full auto 1 in GA that CMMG said as of that date had 52000 rds thru it. What a hoot !!!!

Do those have a standard ar mag well or an ak47 mag well?

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I had mainly had SKS and sporter AK variants, so I had a bunch of 7.62x39 ammo. I wanted an AR, but for me, it made sense at the time to get an AR in 7.62x39, then just get a 5.56 upper, and buy ammo as I go. To be honest, I got my Bear Creek Arsenal 7.62x39 AR in 2016, fearing Hillary would be crowned. It was cheap, had a lifetime warranty, and basically did its duty of getting me into the AR market, and liking the gun. The issues I had were;
    1. The included 30rd mag was pinned to 10rds, which I think pinched the mag body. I bought some 20rd ASC mags in PA and they ran great. I bought some C Products Defense 10 round mags, which all failed to strip rounds out of the mags. The manufacturer did send upgraded replacement mags, but they had issues. They said it was the rifle, but I tried 2 different lowers, and bought a second upper to try, no change. So 2 rifles. The lead edge of the bullet appeared to hit the edge of the mag and stop. The 10rd CPD mags appear to also use 5.56/223 followers, and not the 7.62x39 followers their 20+ rd mags use. I would recommend staying away from their 10rd mags, and buy the larger capacity ones in another state.
    2. A couple Tula rounds failed to ignite the primer, which is supposedly a common issue with steel case, berdan primed Russian ammo. I did get a heavier hammer spring and longer firing pin. So far, so good.

I did find mine remarkably accurate even shooting cheap ammo. I ended up really liking the rifle. I also love the 7.62x39 round. If you want one in 7.62x39, get one. One of the great things about the AR is its flexibility. Buy one in 7.62x39 like I did, and buy other uppers later. I sold my 7.62x39 BCA, but kept the upper to use on my Windham.

You could buy a Vepr, VZ58, SKS, which are fun rifles to shoot, but limit you to a singular caliber. If I had to do it over again, I would get a 7.62x39 Windham rifle, and buy a 5.56 Windham upper. Just my experience with them.

Last edited:

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    I had mainly has SKS and sporter AK variants, so I had a bunch of 7.62x39 ammo. I wanted an AR, but for me, it made sense at the time to get an AR in 7.62x39, then just get a 5.56 upper, and buy ammo as I go. To be honest, I got my Bear Creek Arsenal 7.62x39 AR in 2016, fearing Hillary would be crowned. It was cheap, had a lifetime warranty, and basically did its duty of getting me into the AR market, and liking the gun. The issues I had were;
    1. The included 30rd mag was pinned to 10rds, which I think pinched the mag body. I bought some 20rd ASC mags in PA and they ran great. I bought some C Products Defense 10 round mags, which all failed to strip rounds out of the mags. The manufacturer did send upgraded replacement mags, but they had issues. They said it was the rifle, but I tried 2 different lowers, and bought a second upper to try, no change. So 2 rifles. The lead edge of the bullet appeared to hit the edge of the mag and stop. The 10rd CPD mags appear to also use 5.56/223 followers, and not the 7.62x39 followers their 20+ rd mags use. I would recommend staying away from their 10rd mags, and buy the larger capacity ones in another state.
    2. A couple Tula rounds failed to ignite the primer, which is supposedly a common issue with steel case, berdan primed Russian ammo. I did get a heavier hammer spring and longer firing pin. So far, so good.

I did find mine remarkably accurate even shooting cheap ammo. I ended up really liking the rifle. I also love the 7.62x39 round. If you want one in 7.62x39, get one. One of the great things about the AR is its flexibility. Buy one in 7.62x39 like I did, and buy other uppers later. I sold my 7.62x39 BCA, but kept the upper to use on my Windham.

You could buy a Vepr, VZ58, SKS, which are fun rifles to shoot, but limit you to a singular caliber. If I had to do it over again, I would get a 7.62x39 Windham rifle, and buy a 5.56 Windham upper. Just my experience with them.

Ya. Good point! I had forgotten, I also put the redx extended firing pin and higher pressure spring in mine to help in shooting the steel case ammo

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Ya. Good point! I had forgotten, I also put the redx extended firing pin and higher pressure spring in mine to help in shooting the steel case ammo

Yeah, I did the same with my BCA AR and it now shoots steel cased rounds just fine.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    exactly

Still on my list. Still wish I had owned guns back before 2013. I probably wouldn't have been smart enough to have bought all the things and mortgaged a kidney or something to accomplish it.

Not sure if I'll try to track down a 52/2008 eventually or an SBR AK-47.

In some ways having gotten an SKS* was a mistake for me. It lit a burning desire for an AK. Not sure if a 52/2008 would satisfy the desire. Probably? I really love Czs in a funny, yet sad fanboy type way. But a REAL AK would be nice

*Maybe not entirely, I really like the Norinco SKS I have and it shoots decent with most ammo, except Tula it doesn't really like. For some reason Wolf Military Classic is the bees knees in it. I can average 2" or smaller groups at 100 and at 50yds I've shot several sub MOA 5 shot groups. Like all holes touching. And even my typical group usually isn't worse than 1" at 50yds. Have never seen the like (with open sights, old semi-auto). One of these days I need to get the last couple of parts and get my other Norinco SKS assembled and running.

Grew up around guns. Once got married and kids resources went other directions. Always wanted to get back into them. Was lazy......UNTIL!!!! I also went bonkers and to eat Mac and Cheese and Chicken dogs for a while hahaha J/K . If I would have just gone through with my thoughts prior, I could have purchased nice toys that are verboten now. SMH :sad20:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg

Attachments

• 719014678_2.jpg
      719014678_2.jpg
      9.4 KB · Views: 185

cdub702

May 13, 2017
    Mr Rodgers Neighborhood
    I'm a big fan of the Vz58/Vz2008. I'm not gonna make many friends but dare I say it is a better designed weapon than the AK47. One thing everyone who knows will agree is that the vz2008 is more accurate than any AKM. The only problem is getting magazines for it in our wonderful state. Just my two cents. Good luck

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    7.62x39 ARs rock. It's my favorite AR caliber. Soft shooting, more satisfying sound ringing steel, cheap as dirt to shoot, and don't have to chase leftover brass to reload.

I too have a VZ58 & 2008. IMO, they are better than the AKs. Mags seem to come into the country in batches. When they show up everywhere they are cheap. Stock up then.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I do. It's not bad, but the company is really really slow in communication if you have issues - and did the minimus when I sent my new rifle back to them.

I also have a KS-47 from PSA. Of the two, I prefer the KS-47, especially with the fixes that PSA has implemented in the Gen 2 version. Great platform to potentially SBR, especially with PSA selling complete uppers with shorter barrels.

(As an added bonus, Clandestine will work on the KS-47s and has specialized gauges. I have a Gen 1 in which he applied the same fixes that later emerged in their Gen 2 - plus he in general made sure mine would run like a Swiss watch. I don't think he has this service for AKs).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Thanks

I do. It's not bad, but the company is really really slow in communication if you have issues - and did the minimus when I sent my new rifle back to them.

I also have a KS-47 from PSA. Of the two, I prefer the KS-47, especially with the fixes that PSA has implemented in the Gen 2 version. Great platform to potentially SBR, especially with PSA selling complete uppers with shorter barrels.

(As an added bonus, Clandestine will work on the KS-47s and has specialized gauges. I have a Gen 1 in which he applied the same fixes that later emerged in their Gen 2 - plus he in general made sure mine would run like a Swiss watch. I don't think he has this service for AKs).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have been looking at them. Perhaps the Mutant a better choice.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    7.62x39 ARs rock. It's my favorite AR caliber. Soft shooting, more satisfying sound ringing steel, cheap as dirt to shoot, and don't have to chase leftover brass to reload.

I too have a VZ58 & 2008. IMO, they are better than the AKs. Mags seem to come into the country in batches. When they show up everywhere they are cheap. Stock up then.

I’ve got a gun or two like that where I don’t own them, but I plan to pick up some mags for them when I am out of state if I can find them as I plan to try to own one some day and it is worth the risk to me to drop $100 on mags for one.

Interestingly they are all Czs. Vz58/2008 and Vz61 (new build) in .32acp.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Check with Duffy’s I feel like he deals in the legal and barely legal firearms in this state. He goes by thedevilhimself on the forum. He runs a really cool shop, has a talented gunsmith, and is a great person to boot. I’ve made 2 purchases there and he remembers my name when I stop in. Vince and the crew at Duffy’s are great.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    I have been looking at them. Perhaps the Mutant a better choice.

I have both the M10X Elite and a CMMG Mutant.
    The M10X has been sent back twice to the factory in Colorado and have had two charging handles grenade into pieces. Gun has literally broken every time I took it to the range. I don't even shoot it anymore.
    The Mutant on the other hand has been 100% reliable and amazingly accurate with cheap Russian animal brand ammo.

Sirex