• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    What is the best lube to use on an ar15?
    I’ve been using frog lube with 3% canola oil. Is this a good idea?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    We went to spikes today, took it with me and had them look at it. They confirmed the gas tube is good. He said functionally its good to go but if that was theirs it would be replaced just because of how it looks.

Im going to throw it in a parts bin and replace it with a bcm. Just not sure if i want to do the ion bond. I dont feel its really any better than the phosphate. Doesnt clean easier imo lol

Did they gauge anything or just eyeball it?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Hahahaha im kinda anal about cleaning. I wont scrub the finish off but they get pinky inspected lol. Not always, depends when i shoot.

I used to think it needed to be clean. Now I run the hell out them until I sense the action slowing down. Then I'll inspect and give it a cleaning if that's all it is.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    What is the best lube to use on an ar15?
    I’ve been using frog lube with 3% canola oil. Is this a good idea?

Frog Lube is better than nothing and it does not play well with other lubricants. Remember organic lubes like Frog lube will turn acidic over time when the organic compounds break down. So if its a safe queen that does not see action keep that in mind.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Frog Lube is better than nothing and it does not play well with other lubricants. Remember organic lubes like Frog lube will turn acidic over time when the organic compounds break down. So if its a safe queen that does not see action keep that in mind.

IMHO 5w20 Mobil 1 dip it. Use a little lithium high temperature grease on the BCG bearing surfaces first. Call it a day.

Unless you are using it well below 0F or extremely dusty environments, that should do you. If you might use it down to -20F or so, use 0W oil. Below that, dry (and at those super low temps, make sure the firing pin is dry).

I can’t claim some awesome operator status, but my ARs have worked from 0F and -15F windchills, heavy rain, blizzards and blowing winds and 100F and baking sun with that combo.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Forgot to post an update. Failzero did finally contact me back. Apparently they were at the NRA show. They sent me a return label and within a week I had a brand new bcg...that I sold to a friend as I replaced it with a BCM.

Upon further inspection I think the gas tube was slightly bent. Doesn’t exactly explain the issue with the gas key on the FZ. The dent was there already. I swapped out the gas block and tube for BCM. I had good luck with spikes tubes and blocks before but I think now Im tok the point Im only buying BCM anything.

Ran it in multigun, good to go. Need to put a few hundred rounds through it but Im very confident its good to go now.

In the end fz made it right. I did ask about the yfs screws. They did say there are foreign but are good to go and have been used a lot. I dunno. Not my problem anymore though.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    IMHO 5w20 Mobil 1 dip it. Use a little lithium high temperature grease on the BCG bearing surfaces first. Call it a day.

Unless you are using it well below 0F or extremely dusty environments, that should do you. If you might use it down to -20F or so, use 0W oil. Below that, dry (and at those super low temps, make sure the firing pin is dry).

I can’t claim some awesome operator status, but my ARs have worked from 0F and -15F windchills, heavy rain, blizzards and blowing winds and 100F and baking sun with that combo.

More or less what I do I just use Mobil 1 Syth Grease instead of lithium

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    More or less what I do I just use Mobil 1 Syth Grease instead of lithium

Yep, Mobil 1 grease and Mobil 1 oil as instructed by Lord Chad. NEVER had an issue and can’t tell you the last time I cleaned one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom