• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    I live in Maryland but plan to move to VA in the next few years. I have been waiting until I move to pick up an AR. I don't have much knowledge of the AR platform because of this.

Looking at Biden's gun plan, I am thinking I should try and get an AR in Maryland right now.

How much of a drawback comes between Maryland compliant firearms (29 inch length requirement, HBAR, etc) vs what I could get in Virginia assuming I can get something in VA in a few years?

Basically how much of a drawback is the HBAR specifically, as well as the other requirements? Since I am not familiar at all with this platform I don't know the real world difference between a HBAR or not, etc.

thanks!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Do it now. You may not be able to find a complete rifle at non-gougey prices, but stripped lowers and parts kits are available. If you snooze, you might lose. A lot of Marylanders in 2012 might have been thinking, "Yeah...someday I'd like to have an M1A, or FAL, or HK91...I'll just save up a couple more years." Well, they are completely SOL now.

If you move to a free state (which VA may no longer be), and you hate the HBAR (with it's increased accuracy and heat tolerance), switching to a light profile barrel is a relatively easy and inexpensive process.

The closer we get to the election, the more expensive (and possibly simply impossible) that purchase is going to get. Waiting till after the election is gambling on never being able to make the purchase anywhere.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I live in Maryland but plan to move to VA in the next few years. I have been waiting until I move to pick up an AR. I don't have much knowledge of the AR platform because of this.

Looking at Biden's gun plan, I am thinking I should try and get an AR in Maryland right now.

How much of a drawback comes between Maryland compliant firearms (29 inch length requirement, HBAR, etc) vs what I could get in Virginia assuming I can get something in VA in a few years?

Basically how much of a drawback is the HBAR specifically, as well as the other requirements? Since I am not familiar at all with this platform I don't know the real world difference between a HBAR or not, etc.

thanks!

There's very little real world difference between hbar and skinnier barrels. Just a little bit of weight.

Buy one if you can find it. Go back to January and buy 10.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Like everyone said, when it comes to ARs I see little difference between MD compliant and VA compliant. The big advantage to moving to VA will be other platforms. FAL, AUG, and AK are all banned in MD, but are legal in VA... I think, I don’t actually know VA gun laws.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Buy an Hbar now. Preferably second hand if possible, no paper trail. I am not sure of the VA gun laws, but could have sworn Northam bent over gun owners last year.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Very rough rule of thumb - A 16in HBAR will have balance substantially similar to a 20in Gov't profile .

Translation - Since in the current era , 16 inch is the overwhelming popular , don't worry about it . If you want a 20in on purpose , it's gonna be noticeably muzzle heavy . Some people like that , but it's a personal preference .

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    The HBAR or Heavy BARrel requirement is only for the .223/5.56 caliber I believe. A heavy barrel is slightly more difficult to find if you must go the 5.56 route. Honestly, the weight difference isn't very much usually and its not like you're hiking across Afghanistan with it. If it were me, I'd get one while I can. If you absolutely HATE it, when you move to Virginia you can buy a new rifle or just a new barrel.

Another option is to buy a different caliber. 300AAC (300 Blackout) is a popular round for AR. It doesn't require a heavy barrel. Full disclosure, the rounds are more expensive though.

Another option (again... I believe this is legal, but IANAL...) is to make your own AR lower with a pistol brace and then put whatever rifle barrel you want. If it is a pistol, I don't believe that heavy barrel is a requirement. Then, when you move to a more free state, you can swap the pistol brace for a legitimate rifle stock and be good to go.

All that being said... I own a couple heavy barrel AR's and don't find them cumbersome at all. A heavy barrel is only a couple or 8 ounces heavier... get a smaller optic or ditch the flashlight mount and you'll never know the difference. Or, put whatever optic you want, whatever flashlight you want and deal with a half pound heavier rifle. Like I said, you aren't carrying it across the country everyday, the weight isn't that big of a deal. I'd rather have one (or a couple) while I can still get them.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Like everyone said, when it comes to ARs I see little difference between MD compliant and VA compliant. The big advantage to moving to VA will be other platforms. FAL, AUG, and AK are all banned in MD, but are legal in VA... I think, I don’t actually know VA gun laws.

Bushmaster isn’t banned except in Marylinistan correct? Need to see what you’d want and if it’s on the Marylinistan banned list. If so then wait until you get to Free or Semi-Free America.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    thanks, a ton of helpful advice so far.

could I buy just a rifle lower in maryland then build it once I move to virginia? then the hbar and all other rules don't affect me right?

I can't buy a pistol lower as I don't have or want the HQL. my own handguns were grandfathered in.

I am most interested in 5.56 AR based on that being the most widely available round if I am not mistaken?

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    thanks, a ton of helpful advice so far.

could I buy just a rifle lower in maryland then build it once I move to virginia? then the hbar and all other rules don't affect me right?

I can't buy a pistol lower as I don't have or want the HQL. my own handguns were grandfathered in.

I am most interested in 5.56 AR based on that being the most widely available round if I am not mistaken?

Yes, I would at least buy a lower or two. You do not need to have an HQL for a lower. There is a specific checkbox on the online 77r form for the HQL exemption with "this is a lower receiver".

The lower will be sold to you as "other", to which you can then manufacture it into a pistol OR a rifle.

But the catch is, if you make it a pistol first, then you can make it into a rifle and then turn it back into a pistol any time, BUT if you make a stripped lower into a rifle FIRST, it must remain a rifle forever. Stupid, I know, but that's the law.

If you want to make an AR pistol, buy the lower and build to your hearts content.

One idea if you don't want the heavy barrel is to build a standard upper with whatever barrel, but build the lower with a pistol arm brace. Once you move to VA, you can throw a stock on it (assuming the barrel is 16 inches).

Alternatively, you can SBR your stripped lower and then build whatever you want, so long as the barrel is less than 16 inches but the OAL is greater than 29 (29 OAL is a MD thing).

A number of people in MD that want a standard M4 profile, 14.5 inch barrel will register it as an SBR so they aren't restricted by the heavy barrel. In this instance, though, the barrel would have to have an unpinned flash hider to keep it under 16.

After typing this I realize I have probably lead to you being more, not less confused.

5.56 is in fact a VERY widely used round. So widely used, in fact, that it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to find right now. And if you can, the price for ammo is ridiculous. A few folks on here are laughing at us with their oddball calibers that are still plentiful on the shelves.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I highly recommend looking in to a socom profile. There is a colt 14.5 version that is md legal. 1/7 twist, chrome lined, all the good stuff. M4a1 socom profile barrels are excellent.

The fact that the socom profile is legal but standard gov profile isnt boggles my mind. Theres a reason socom switched from that to the a1. But as far as md goes, its clearly less dangerous.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I highly recommend looking in to a socom profile. There is a colt 14.5 version that is md legal. 1/7 twist, chrome lined, all the good stuff. M4a1 socom profile barrels are excellent.

The fact that the socom profile is legal but standard gov profile isnt boggles my mind. Theres a reason socom switched from that to the a1. But as far as md goes, its clearly less dangerous.

Show me where there is one for sale at anywhere near MSRP and i'll buy all of them...

As many of you know colt stopped making their rifles for the civi market last year and have only just begun picking back up. I have yet to see one available anywhere, but perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places.

The LWRC DI is also good rifle as well and is MD compliant.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Colt M4A1 Socoms start at $2500 now and HBPW's start around $1800.....if you're lucky. I've seen them go for 3K and 2k respectively.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I have no idea up there, things are a little different down here. But my cousin passed one up back in January for 1100. Anyone charging more than that has lost their mind. Colt is supposedly back in the market now anyway.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Then your cousin screwed up. Don't believe me? Head on over to GB and type "M4A1 SOCOM" under ended Semi Auto Rifle auctions. I'll take all the Colt M4A1 SOCOM's you can sell me at $1500.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Then your cousin screwed up. Don't believe me? Head on over to GB and type "M4A1 SOCOM" under ended Semi Auto Rifle auctions. I'll take all the Colt M4A1 SOCOM's you can sell me at $1500.

He did, and he knows it now. I tried to tell him back then lol.

I still wouldn’t pay more than 1500 for one. Times should get back to normal.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    He did, and he knows it now. I tried to tell him back then lol.

I still wouldn’t pay more than 1500 for one. Times should get back to normal.

I agree that 1500 is about the most I would spend on one. But being in MD, the Colt M4A1 Socom represents (arguably) one of the closest completely MD compliant AR style rifles that we can get that still has a fairly normal barrel profile, so these tend to be more desirable around here.

Those who can build there own may not care for them, but the vast majority of people want something good off the shelf.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I agree that 1500 is about the most I would spend on one. But being in MD, the Colt M4A1 Socom represents (arguably) one of the closest completely MD compliant AR style rifles that we can get that still has a fairly normal barrel profile, so these tend to be more desirable around here.

Those who can build there own may not care for them, but the vast majority of people want something good off the shelf.

I tried to offer something good for Marylanders and everyone snubbed their nose at it. I dont think anyone up there really cares for something like that lol

Sirex