• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Hey guys

So I'd like to try deer hunting this season. I've never been before. As such, I don't have a rifle set up for it. Was talking to a buddy who does deer hunt pretty frequently, and he suggested looking in to a 300 BO upper for one of my AR's as that would likely be an easy and cost effective way to get in to it. Bonus points as I've wanted a 300 AR for awhile now.

Did a little googling and it seems it is not uncommon for people to use 300 BO for deer out to about 150 yards.

I don't feel comfortable going out deer hunting by myself as I've never been. So for now this is just me exploring the option until I get someone who wouldn't mind taking a greenhorn along with them this year.

I've seen that bullet weight should be kept around 125-130 to ensure proper expansion of the round. Aside from that... I don't know much? What length barrel and twist rate should I be looking at?

I figure I could get a BCM 16 inch upper and be good? Any flaw in this train of thought? Assuming a 3-9 scope would be sufficient as well.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    16" defeats the purpose of a .300 BLK to me

I would get like a 9 or 10"

Barnes Tac TX ammo

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    FWIW I prefer rifles over pistols for deer hunting so nothing wrong with a 16” barrel if you’re using 110-130 grain supers. Finding one right now might be a problem. 3x9 scope will definitely work, maybe a bit more than needed for essentially a 150 yd setup. Where were you planning to hunt?

I know some people think it’s unethical, but you could use the AR in 5.56 if yours can shot the heavier bullets fine. Just need to be a little more selective in the shots you do take.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    If you already have an AR-15 rifle , then don’t get a short barrel unless you plan on putting a pistol brace on it. 16” upper will be just fine. Finding ammo will be your main problem. Looking for some myself. Let ya know if I have any luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    My only questions is, if you must do a 16" barrel, why waste it on a caliber that was designed for a short barrel when you can just get a cheaper caliber that actually has a benefit out of a longer barrel?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    My only questions is, if you must do a 16" barrel, why waste it on a caliber that was designed for a short barrel when you can just get a cheaper caliber that actually has a benefit out of a longer barrel?

300Blk benefits from a longer barrel. Basically a 10.5" 300blk has the energy of a 16" 5.56...but a 16" blackout blows past 5.56 even out of a 20" barrel.
    Annotation 2020-08-06 003407.jpg

If you're hunting and barrel length doesn't really matter, 300BLK will give more thump for any given barrel when compared to a 5.56.

...I'd just add that looking at a 6.5 grendel might be a good choice as well if you're looking to hunt with an AR.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    I'm open to suggestions. Like I said, my buddy and I kinda spit balled into this idea. I do want an 300 sbr, but putting a 16 inch barrel on an AR I already have helps me get ready quickly for upcoming deer season.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    300Blk benefits from a longer barrel. Basically a 10.5" 300blk has the energy of a 16" 5.56...but a 16" blackout blows past 5.56 even out of a 20" barrel.

View attachment 291609

If you're hunting and barrel length doesn't really matter, 300BLK will give more thump for any given barrel when compared to a 5.56.

...I'd just add that looking at a 6.5 grendel might be a good choice as well if you're looking to hunt with an AR.
    That was suggested to me as well. Not opposed to it. Just always liked the idea of a 300 and I'm looking at sbring a rifle in the near future. So a shorty subsonic 300 would be fun and it consolidates ammo (as opposed to having a 300 and a 6.5)

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    FWIW I prefer rifles over pistols for deer hunting so nothing wrong with a 16” barrel if you’re using 110-130 grain supers. Finding one right now might be a problem. 3x9 scope will definitely work, maybe a bit more than needed for essentially a 150 yd setup. Where were you planning to hunt?

I know some people think it’s unethical, but you could use the AR in 5.56 if yours can shot the heavier bullets fine. Just need to be a little more selective in the shots you do take.
    I have literally no idea where I'd hunt. Trying to tag along with someone who knows what the hell they are doing to be honest

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I'm open to suggestions. Like I said, my buddy and I kinda spit balled into this idea. I do want an 300 sbr, but putting a 16 inch barrel on an AR I already have helps me get ready quickly for upcoming deer season.

.223 works for deer too

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    .223 works for deer too
    As already stated, I don't know much about deer hunting. However, talking to some guys that know more than me, they gave the impression using a 223 isn't the best idea? Kind of on the margins of what the caliber can do?

I have a 16 inch 1:7 noveske upper that can shoot 72 grain rounds very well. If I didn't have to get a new caliber upper (like the 300 BO) that would be ideal. I could then get a shorty 300 at my leisure (not crunched for time before the season starts to find one)

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    As already stated, I don't know much about deer hunting. However, talking to some guys that know more than me, they gave the impression using a 223 isn't the best idea? Kind of on the margins of what the caliber can do?

I have a 16 inch 1:7 noveske upper that can shoot 72 grain rounds very well. If I didn't have to get a new caliber upper (like the 300 BO) that would be ideal. I could then get a shorty 300 at my leisure (not crunched for time before the season starts to find one)

There's no reason you can't use .223 for deer with the right ammunition, as long as it's legal in your area. People who say that don't really know what they're talking about. My friend always gets shit from the Fudds and their bolt actions when he is hunting with his .223 AR. The deer don't know a difference when it kills them though.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    There's no reason you can't use .223 for deer with the right ammunition, as long as it's legal in your area. People who say that don't really know what they're talking about. My friend always gets shit from the Fudds and their bolt actions when he is hunting with his .223 AR. The deer don't know a difference when it kills them though.
    I don't care who looks at me weird, so long as the deer is harvested responsibly.

I'll do some research tomorrow as far as recommended ammo for this.

Still wouldn't mind a 300bo though.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    77 grain 5.56 will meet the 1200 fpe at the muzzle requirement. I would be fine with using that on the smallish mountain deer, for the bigger farmland ones, I’d prefer something a little bigger. You’ll just have to be picky about the shots you take. Probably broadside only.

6.5 Grendel would be a great choice, but then you have to find and purchase separate mags.

I had thought about a 300 BO upper myself, but for about the same cost I found a Marlin 1895 in 44. Since they ok’d the use of straight walled cartridges and I have to travel roughly an hour to reach rifle counties it made sense.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    77 grain 5.56 will meet the 1200 fpe at the muzzle requirement. I would be fine with using that on the smallish mountain deer, for the bigger farmland ones, I’d prefer something a little bigger. You’ll just have to be picky about the shots you take. Probably broadside only.

6.5 Grendel would be a great choice, but then you have to find and purchase separate mags.

I had thought about a 300 BO upper myself, but for about the same cost I found a Marlin 1895 in 44. Since they ok’d the use of straight walled cartridges and I have to travel roughly an hour to reach rifle counties it made sense.
    I don't mind getting a new upper. I'm just imagining the headache that locating a quality one in current times before the season starts would be difficult to say the least. Bcm shockingly had 16 inch 300 uppers in stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom