• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I finally finished my spikes build from the group buy. It's a 16" 300blk barrel. I'm using trimmed down 223 brass. I wasn't really looking for good groups yet. I'm just looking for proper feed, firing, cycling and ejection. I was using data from the new Hornady manual. All bullets were 150gr Hornady spire points(it's the only thing I have so far). All targets were at 50 yards. I started with 13.5 gr of H110 and worked up to 15.5gr. None of the loads cycled the gun 100%.

13.5 only ejected 2 out of the 5 shells. Group was 3.5" no pressure signs.

Next was 14.0gr. only 1 case failed to eject, but it would not cycle a fresh shell from the magazine. Group was a little under 4" no pressure signs.

14.5gr had two cases that failed to eject. It did feed the second shell into the chamber and locked the bolt. The third shell fed but the bolt would not lock. Looked like there was a slight bulge below the shoulder that I missed and got wedged in the chamber. Group was 2" no pressure signs.

15.0gr had one case that FTE. It fed 3 out of 5 shells into the chamber. Slightly bigger than 2" group no pressure signs. I went downrange to change some targets and let the barrel cool.

Last group was 15.5gr. This was the best so far. It FTE one case. It fed 2 out of five shells and had a 1 3/4" group with no pressure signs.

That was all of the ammo I had. I'm on the right track, I think I need more powder. I have an order for some Lilgun. I can't wait to try some of that also.

I'm also going to order some Barnes x-Tac 110gr. Alot of guys have good things to say about this bullet in 300blk.

Anyone having any success with 150gr Hornady's and H110?

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Following this closely, as my 300 blackout is almost done (possibly this week).

I have some H110 I'll be starting with, I'll post my successes and failures here.

BTW, anyone have some 30 cal bullets they want to sell? :D

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    As soon as I have powder I'll be loading 100 or so horn addy 150s in various charges to test. Thanks for the preliminary results. Carbine gas length I take it? Going to have to be hot to cycle.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    IIRC, my load on 150gr Hornady FMJ-BT using H110 was 16.5gr - too lazy to dig thru my reload log currently.

I'd gone over 17gr on H110 before I started seeing signs of excess pressure (think max I went was 17.8gr) - but please don't take my loads as gospel.

Out of a 16" Noveske barrel, pistol-length gas system, they were good plinking rounds. Not match grade by any means, but they'd hold under 2" at 105 yards all day long as long as I did my part.

If your anything like me, you'll find your best results comfortably below max loading.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    It's a carbie length barrel. My next couple of loads will be 16.0, 16.5 and 17.0 grains and 17.5gr. I think the max is 17.8gr but I will double check. Does anyone have some lighter .308 they would be willing to trade for some 150's?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Try some 110gr V-max's if you can find any. I've had great initial results with those. IIRC, I ran them on 19.2gr's of H110 and got nice results.

As nice as can be expected when the shooter couldn't stay focused on the task at hand, although a $70 scope and shooting off a wood block probably didn't help much either. :o

View attachment 78766

That was with a rough zero, just screwing around really. 1.68" on the left, 1.14" on the right.

Last edited:

wasntme

Jun 10, 2012
    best luck ive had is either barnes 130gr ttsx or nosler 125gr bt. i either use imr 4227 15gr or vitavouhri n110 15gr. both are just over 2000 fps and give sub moa groups at 100 yds. And they cycle fine with a 3.5 oz carbine buffer with 1" cut off of the recoil spring.

wasntme

Jun 10, 2012
    Todd I have some 125 nosler showing up next week i may have a few extra for you to try.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Sounds good. Mike3888 hooked me up with some 110 gr bullets also. I'm going to try some tomorrow if I can get them loaded tonight. I'm also going to try some Lilgun. I just got a little bit in.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Can anyone recommend a 220 gr (subsonic) bullet and load info?

I Like a sierra matchking hpbt 220 gr

From new hornady manual 9 th edition:

220 gr bullet
    COL 2.250 inch

Lil gun - 6.5 gr 900 fps, 11.4 1400 fps

H110 - 6.7 gr 900 fps, 10.9 gr 1300 fps

IMR 4227 - 7.8 gr 900 fps, 10.5 gr 1290 fps

A1680 - 10 gr 900 fps, 13.2 gr 1300 fps

Listed the min and max loads. Do not go over max loads.

There are some other powders listed if you are interested, I just put the most common blackout powders.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I got out and shot some new loads. I bumped up the H110 charge to 16 grains. Accuracy was a little better than my last round of loads. Weird problem though. The rifle cycled fine using a Thermold 20 rd mag but would not cycle correctly using a P-Mag 30. It would not pick up a new shell on the bolt backstroke.

I loaded some Lilgun also using the 150 gr hornady's. I started at 16 gr and went up to 16.5gr then 17gr. 16 and 16.5 (15 rounds each)cycled the rounds great. 17 actually had 2 out of 15 that would not pick up a new shell. I had a couple of primers pop out using 17 grains. Hopefully they were loose primer pockets. I did have some ejector marks on all of the Lilgun powder charges. I had no flattened primers or any visible stress on the brass. I was using mostly trimmed FC brass. The missing primers were Win and RP. The groups got tighter as the powder charge went up.

warreng

Feb 1, 2012
    Anybody have recommendations for reloading equipment, particularly die sets? I want to begin reloading my again and plan to start with the .300 blackout. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom