• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Have bid on more than a few of these in the past but never successfully. Then this one comes up, flying under the radar with an auction house that only knows it's a nice, early Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless. But that A mark in a diamond shaped box is what makes it so special. During WWI Colt built 24,002 1903 Pocket Hammerless pistols for the Belgian government. That mark is unique to this contract.
    The SN for this pistol puts it in a batch shipped on 2/4/1916. During this period a small number (216) of these pistols with the Belgian mark were sold to commercial dealers. I'll probably contact Colt to see if they have any records indicating if this is one of them. I'm thinking it is as most Belgian examples I've seen were so heavily worn and many refinished as well. This one only has minor back strap finish wear. Otherwise it's pristine with a tiny amount of edge wear.
    Paid a premium for it but felt it's worth the coin as early Type III examples this nice are so hard to find.

Attachments

• IMGP8527.JPG
      IMGP8527.JPG
      47.7 KB · Views: 658
    • IMGP8529.JPG
      IMGP8529.JPG
      51 KB · Views: 578
    • IMGP8528.JPG
      IMGP8528.JPG
      30.5 KB · Views: 523
    • IMGP8526.JPG
      IMGP8526.JPG
      48.4 KB · Views: 541
    • IMGP8530.JPG
      IMGP8530.JPG
      30.7 KB · Views: 570
    Jul 1, 2012
    Wow, that's super-nice!
    That magazine isn't easy to find either, I think it was only used for 2 years or so.
    Definitely worth the coin.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Started the process with Colt Archives to get additional info, feel this one is worth the cost. We'll see if it's commercial as I suspect. If it did make the trip to the other side of the pond then it's amazing that it survived in such good condition.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Still looking for the right Type II to add to the collection. That search has been ongoing for five years now. Some day I'll find the right one to pull the trigger on. Keep telling myself "patience, patience, patience...".

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    I would give a left nut for one in that condition. I picked up one some 30+ years ago--not even close to being in that good of shape. Great find.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I've bought brand new pistols that don't look as good as that one.

Congrats on a great find. :thumbsup:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Colt Archives finally sent the factory record for this pistol and it's exactly as I surmised: sold domestically to Simmons Hardware Co in Philadelphia PA on Oct 15, 1915, part of a 10 pistol lot.
    So it's one of the roughly 200 Belgian Contract 1903s that were pulled and shipped to American distributors.

Attachments

• IMG_20180601_224846.jpg
      IMG_20180601_224846.jpg
      63.1 KB · Views: 187

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    WOW! That is a INCREDIBLE Find! Congrats to you, you lucky dog!

I saw several of these in an auction on Sat., most were in fair condition. There was one that the picture of the extractor side looked nearly as clean as yours. There was no picture of the opposite side where the "A" would be. I bid on it until my self-imposed limit was nearly depleted after spending a lot on a '55 Garrand with all Springfield major parts, plus barrel and the original sling, oiling kit in a canvas bag and cleaning rod in sections, The stock was described as very good to excellent with an oiled top coat rubbed on. Had to drop out to try on a 1903 Springfield 30-06 but struck out there also. THIS AUCTION HAD MANY VERY NICE EXAMPLES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom