• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joma352

Jan 4, 2018
    Lower Eastern Shore
    I have been debating between these pistols for quite awhile. either way i want to go new. from what i have read the sig is the more reliable pistol but i just cant get over the look of the 92 AFS, that stainless steel just makes be drool. looking for first hand experience here

Thanks in advanced!
    JOMA

and yes i have used The Google with the question and found some opinions i just wanna see what yall think

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Why are you settled between these two?

Can't go wrong with the Sig but I much prefer my 229 over my 2340 which is an older model of the 2022.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The PT92 is a great shooter if you like a chunky grip. I have one and put some extra thick Altamont grips on it. Is just a joy to shoot and very affordable.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Another good one in the sub $400 range is the Walther Creed. I just got one. Check out the reviews on YouTube to include Hickok45. Everyone loves this thing.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've no experience with the Sig but I once owned a PT99 which is a PT92 with adjustable sights. I wasn't impressed by it...chunky grip...mediocre accuracy and then only with the rear sight dialed all the way over. I didn't keep it long...I ended up trading it for more than I had in it towards an M1 Garand.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    Try both if you can, if not shooting them, at least hold them and see which one feels better in your hands. Then go from there....

I don't really have a problem shooting either one but Sig has a better track record. Just my 2 cents

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Used to have a PT-92 in stainless. Loved it but sold it a long time ago. Was a great gun, never had any problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Sig 2022 one of the most underappreciated guns out there. Can do everything a glock can plus. They come from the factory tight so its not uncommon to have to run a few mags through until feeding becomes perfect. But after that, excellent gun

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Do yourself a favor, never buy a Taurus.

Partially correct. Never buy Taurus Designed guns. Their Berettas, 1911, and other 1 off guns are almost as good as the originals. I own a Taurus 92 AFS, I served with the "Real" 92 as a 95 Bravo. I am more accurate, quicker on target in my late 30's than I was in my early 20's. Yes all beretta 92s have chunky grips and weigh ton when fully loaded. Biggest issue I had with the "real" 92 is the slide mounted safety as opposed to a more traditional frame mounted that the taurus and other pistols have. Added plus though if the 92 ever stops working you can use it as a throwing weapon if it hits the recipient is down for the count. Another plus is if new no need for a borelock for the taurus.

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpg
      IMG_0213.jpg
      74.4 KB · Views: 172

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Partially correct. Never buy Taurus Designed guns. Their Berettas, 1911, and other 1 off guns are almost as good as the originals. I own a Taurus 92 AFS, I served with the "Real" 92 as a 95 Bravo. I am more accurate, quicker on target in my late 30's than I was in my early 20's. Yes all beretta 92s have chunky grips and weigh ton when fully loaded. Biggest issue I had with the "real" 92 is the slide mounted safety as opposed to a more traditional frame mounted that the taurus and other pistols have. Added plus though if the 92 ever stops working you can use it as a throwing weapon if it hits the recipient is down for the count. Another plus is if new no need for a borelock for the taurus.

I was going to suggest that the Taurus is just like a Beretta...with the safety where it belongs ;)

Mine's never given me trouble. Honestly, none of my Tauruses have :shrug:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I would take the PT-92 just because it seems like a more fun gun to shoot, but that's just me. Either should be good quality. The assembly line and tooling was set up in Brazil by Beretta. It was part of a deal to allow Beretta to get a multi-year government contract there. And the PT-92 frame is forged, not cast, unlike some more expensive all metal guns. Not all Tauruses are problematic. Taurus had a bad spell just like many gunmakers have. I think they've largely come out of it. I don't really think Taurus autos are any worse quality-wise than S&W autos. I've seen new Smiths that would make people cringe too. The difference is perception. You can have 100 S&W pistols and if 3% are defective those three buyers will say "crap, unlucky me, I got a rare bad one." But if you have 100 Tauruses and three are defective every one of those three buyers will say "f*****ing Taurus again!!!"

While the old Millennium Gen. 1's were junk IMHO the G2 is a great little pistol. I call mine my $200 HK, except it's better. Dead nuts accurate, great trigger, great ergonomics, not one ftf yet. On the other hand, my 24/7 feels much more rough and unrefined.

Ap1026

Jul 25, 2017
    I carried the 2340 which is the older 2022 and was not a fan of it at all, I purchased mine solely because I went through academy with it and all that. I've held a PT92 and I thought it felt alright, haven't had the chance to shoot one though.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you like / can hang with the format of the M92 ( size, balance, etc ) then go with the Taurus .

The M92 is one of their handful they have figured out, and do right .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom