• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Well, the kids are outside playing and they found a pile of feathers. Looks like a bird got hit by a hawk in our backyard. For about 2 minutes, I was completely stumped on what bird these feathers are from, but I think I have it figured out now. Just cannot figure out how this bird happened to be in our backyard, but then I guess it isn't completely implausible. Just want to get some confirmation from the brain trust to make sure my conclusion is right before I tell the kids exactly what they are. I googled the bird I think they are from, and they look pretty spot on. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Attachments

• MdShooters162.jpg
      MdShooters162.jpg
      37.8 KB · Views: 235

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Possibly a bluebird. Where there any smaller, rust-colored downy feathers around?

Don't rule out a cat as the perp.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Blue winged teal?

I thought that too, but those wing feathers are just too large to be on a teal. After 2 minutes of pondering it, I figured mallard drake. We have a small creek 100 yards away from the house and I saw a red tailed hawk soaring around the house yesterday. Heard tons of geese too. Guessing the ducks and geese were moving yesterday and this guy got hit either in the creek and carried into our yard to be killed, or it got hit trying to make it to the creek. Only seen ducks dropping into the creek a couple times the 7 years we have been here, but I am not always looking out the back window. My eight year old and five year old were excited as can be to have found the feathers. They are all over the backyard by one of their pieces of play equipment.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OK, I'm home now and pulled out a couple Mallard wings from my fly tying bench. I think we have an absolute match...

Attachments

• wings.jpg
      wings.jpg
      114.4 KB · Views: 125

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    It's a good thing it was taken yesterday...today they are out of season :innocent0

There was actually a day to spare. It was killed on January 26th or earlier. Could have been killed on the 25th and my kids just happened to find the feathers on the 26th.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Don't think there is any doubt that it was a drake mallard. Poor bird. I would have offered it a quick, clean death via shotgun, versus being eaten alive.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    OK, I'm home now and pulled out a couple Mallard wings from my fly tying bench. I think we have an absolute match...

prob caught by the water and dropped a piece in the yard;) I have the same pocket knife! I like using it to skin deer. Its easy to sharpen and holds up well to one deer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom