• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Have read all the MD knife law info. No where (that I saw) did they mention whether you could or could not carry a closed utility knife.
    What are your legal thoughts. Not carrying on an airplane.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Funny you ask this question, I was wondering the same thing. I have a BIL that is a carpenter over at NIH, he carries a box cutter all the time and he usually takes Metro into work. I also teach Electrical Classes, many students also carry box-cutters instead of an Electricians Knife. Don't know the legalities, but it looks like a fad.

I think it comes down to "intent."

Quick story about a friend (he installed carpet/flooring);
    He's stopped at red light with a nice bass boat and gets rear ended,when he gets out the rear ender cops a 'tude and my buddy doesn't back down.Next thing he knows 2 more guys plus the driver approach him "aggressively" (3>1) and he pulls his carpet knife.Take a guess who was charged?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I don't understand this question at all. How would a utility knife be any less legal than any other "penknife"?

My understanding is that there is no restriction in Maryland law to carrying any "penknife" of any length blade, and my assisted opener is a "penknife". Yes, I know Baltimore City, Ocean City, and one or two other jurisdictions restrict assisted openers, and true switchblades are banned from off-property carry. But I never dreamed anyone would ever doubt the legality of a mere utility knife.

I always carry my assisted opener, and as a carpenter, I often have a "rock knife" or utility knife in my pocket also. I also often have a 25 or 30 foot Stanley tape clipped on my pocket. I often open carry the tape measure in Home Depot. No hassles yet.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    How in hell would carrying a utility knife be questioned ANYWHERE in Maryland?

What does wearing a tool belt have to do with anything at all?

Show me a citation in the law which mentions tool belts, or utility knives for that matter.

Why is this question even being asked?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As long as it is a folding knife, it should not run afoul of knife laws.

A sliding utility knife, not so much.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    How in hell would carrying a utility knife be questioned ANYWHERE in Maryland?

What does wearing a tool belt have to do with anything at all?

Show me a citation in the law which mentions tool belts, or utility knives for that matter.

Why is this question even being asked?

:thumbsup: Finally someone with some sense.

All folding knives are legal. Period. Any cop that thinks otherwise will find himself facing federal charges.

Also keep in mind only concealed non-folding knives are even worthy of concern. Unconcealed knives are always legal unless one menaces another person (Ann. Code of MD, CR-4-101)

Regarding sliding blades and fixed blade utility knives, Anderson v. State (1992) dealt with that exact issue. Anderson had a non-retracting utility knife with a cap on it. The court ruled this was not a weapon and further established that the burden lies with the state to prove the item is a weapon if doesn't match anything in the statute. It is notable why Anderson was picked up in the first place: He was using the knife to cut bits of a bar of soap and put them into tiny plastic bags because it looks like crack rocks. He was trying to fleece junkies. The weapon charge was a load of bull just so they would have an excuse to take him in, though I wasn't clear if this is because the "Distributing faked controlled dangerous substance" law didn't exist back then or because they had no proof he was doing that (even though the trial judge explicitly remarked he knew exactly what he was doing).

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Is it legal to carry a toilet brush if I'm wearing a beekeeper's hat?

I can't find anything in the Maryland statutes that mentions whether you could or could not carry a toilet brush, concealed or openly. The brush does not fold. Does that matter? The beekeeper's hat is white, but I see Amazon has a camouflage version. Would that be legal?

What are your legal thoughts. Not carrying on an airplane.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I understand the question. I thought "pen knives" had to fold. Sure, some utility knife blade holders fold, but in my experience, any real utility knife worth having slides or is fixed. I don't have COMAR in front of me, but I would presume sliding is not the same as folding. Yes, that may be splitting hairs, but so is the ongoing discussion about AR barrel profiles, isn't it? We just had a thread about someone vaguely threatened with arrest for carrying a cased long gun. I certainly understand the concern about running afoul of MD's nebulously draconian legal system. I don't have an answer, but I would encourage being cautious and smart if you plan on carrying a utility (or any) knife on school property.

As to the Anderson case, fleecing junkies? I like it! Let's put him on the payroll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom