• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Going to be loading some 10mm loads using 180 grain pills to start out with.
    I'm kicking around where to start with powder, I've heard good things about Blue dot and after some searching here I found just a few threads mentioning Blue dot, one of the posts here:
    I use Unique for every pistol caliber except 32-20 and 10mm. The 32-20 gets Trail Boss, the 10mm gets Blue Dot and Power Pistol. I can certainly use Unique with both of those calibers but I get better performance in the 10mm with those two powders and the 32-20 is for CAS so I want mouse farts for rounds.

Thinking about IMR 800-X or maybe accurate #7 or #9 also. Any thoughts, pet loads, advise.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Accurate #7 is for 145-165gr bullets, Accurate #9 is for the heavy weights. My rounds loaded with Power Pistol and Blue Dot were both nuclear and I actually used a chronograph on them. I had listed my loads with them on another post here a few years back. I shot them with a Kimber 1911 and a S&W 610. If you know the Delmarva range, I shot them at the 50 yard line. The brass from the 1911 ended up on the porch.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Accurate #7 is for 145-165gr bullets, Accurate #9 is for the heavy weights. My rounds loaded with Power Pistol and Blue Dot were both nuclear and I actually used a chronograph on them. I had listed my loads with them on another post here a few years back. I shot them with a Kimber 1911 and a S&W 610. If you know the Delmarva range, I shot them at the 50 yard line. The brass from the 1911 ended up on the porch.

I'm not familiar with Delmarva, but I'm assuming it's a stretch to the porch.
    These will be from a Gen3 20SF Glock
    The proprietor of my powder honey hole was telling me that Blue dot is almost a requirement for 10mm but I'm hoping to get some more data from this thread to reinforce his thinking, and he has it in stock too. ;)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Power pistol max load is anywhere from 8.7 to 9.5gr under a 180 depending on the manual you are using(Alliant currently has 9.3). I load 9gr under an XTP, and it's definitely a full power load, although not nuclear, and doesn't have adverse pressure signs or damage to the brass. Runs great out of my G20SF. I worked the load up to a 9.5 max though and was topping 1300FPS, primers were flattened, so definitely hot, but no "dangerous" pressure signs, but accuracy fell off a little over 9gr. I like power pistol, seems relatively forgiving in hot loads, really accurate, works great in my hot auto calibers (38super,10,45super,460Rowland), the flash is a bit ridiculous though. I have loaded plenty moderate velocity loads with Xtreme plated over 7.5gr of CFE pistol, really accurate load that is much more practical, clocks about 1150FPS through my G20 though, so still no slouch.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Power pistol max load is anywhere from 8.7 to 9.5gr under a 180 depending on the manual you are using(Alliant currently has 9.3). I load 9gr under an XTP, and it's definitely a full power load, although not nuclear, and doesn't have adverse pressure signs or damage to the brass. Runs great out of my G20SF. I worked the load up to a 9.5 max though and was topping 1300FPS, primers were flattened, so definitely hot, but no "dangerous" pressure signs, but accuracy fell off a little over 9gr. I like power pistol, seems relatively forgiving in hot loads, really accurate, works great in my hot auto calibers (38super,10,45super,460Rowland), the flash is a bit ridiculous though. I have loaded plenty moderate velocity loads with Xtreme plated over 7.5gr of CFE pistol, really accurate load that is much more practical, clocks about 1150FPS through my G20 though, so still no slouch.

Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Buff,

I've never reloaded 10mm so I'm little help. My books say Win 231 is also a good powder choice for accuracy, but it doesn't produce the higher velocities like Blue Dot and others.

I don't have a lot of 10mm range cases (I gave what I had to another forum member a while back). I do have a small handful with your name on them tho. :)

Looking forward to seeing your range tests in person. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 10mm Cases Capture.jpg
      10mm Cases Capture.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 348

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Buff,

I've never reloaded 10mm so I'm little help. My books say Win 231 is also a good powder choice for accuracy, but it doesn't produce the higher velocities like Blue Dot and others.

I don't have a lot of 10mm range cases (I gave what I had to another forum member a while back). I do have a small handful with your name on them tho. :)

Looking forward to seeing your range tests in person. :thumbsup:

I'll be grabbing them.:cool:

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I can't add to your thread but I'll be watching. 10mm and .44 Special are starting to intrigue me. I almost hit the commit button on your .44 revolver but hemmed and hawed too long. Wow that gun went fast! :)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Well I just looked and my dies will be delivered today. Anybody else got any suggestions on powder/pill combos? I might as well try a few different combos since I can always use the powder for something else if it doesn't work out for this caliber.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What type powders are these, ball, flake, extruded? Not that it's a big deal but some of the flakes I have trouble running in my hoppers.

Alliant Powder® Power Pistol is a fast and consistent burning Smokeless Pistol Powder designed to get maximum performance with semi-auto pistol cartridges such as the 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 SIG, and 10mm. Power Pistol Gun Powder is economical to use, and flows freely through powder measures for precise weights.
    Manufacturer model #: PP1.

Fast and consistent burning
    Maximum performance with semi-auto pistol cartridges
    Designed for 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 SIG, and 10mm
    Flows freely through powder measures
    Economical to use

And IIRC, Blue Dot is a flake powder.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Alliant Powder® Power Pistol is a fast and consistent burning Smokeless Pistol Powder designed to get maximum performance with semi-auto pistol cartridges such as the 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 SIG, and 10mm. Power Pistol Gun Powder is economical to use, and flows freely through powder measures for precise weights.

Economical to use

You recall correctly.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

Economical to use

You recall correctly.

I've got a 1500 Chargemaster to use but most of my pistols get loaded from a auto disc with a micro adjuster. I've got the new auto drum also so it shouldn't be a problem, but if there's a problem I'll be the one who stumbles upon it.:o

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've got a 1500 Chargemaster to use but most of my pistols get loaded from a auto disc with a micro adjuster. I've got the new auto drum also so it shouldn't be a problem, but if there's a problem I'll be the one who stumbles upon it.:o

One of the problems I had when loading these rounds is I have a Lee Perfect Powder Measure, which works okay with flake powders but not with ball powders, as the finer ball powders leaked out the sides :mad54: This was done before I got a Dillon, which works okay with flake powders and is great with ball powders.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    One of the problems I had when loading these rounds is I have a Lee Perfect Powder Measure, which works okay with flake powders but not with ball powders, as the finer ball powders leaked out the sides :mad54: This was done before I got a Dillon, which works okay with flake powders and is great with ball powders.

I've been using the auto drum with H335, which seems to be pretty fine, and have had no problems with it. The auto disc with micro charge bar can be a little leaky and erratic with it.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I tried 7 different powders and loads in my Glock. It loved Accurate #7. It also shot well with N-105 and Titegroup. I didn't like blue dot at all. Power pistol I didn't have during testing so I cant say on that one. Should do well I would think. I was shooting Hornady 180 XTP and CCI primers
    Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom