• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    To add, no blood found from either deer. Maybe buck fever. Or maybe they were further back than I thought and liver hits that didn’t exit (pretty sure no, I am doubting everything, but I am pretty sure my aim was forward of the front leg, but low on both shots.). I doubt my rifle shooting as low as it was helped.

If you found no hair, Probably clean misses. They'll not be far. Take your time shooting. Even a fast trigger pull is enough to cause a miss.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Dammit, i sat in the wrong stand today. I saw a nice size deer standing in an area thats an easy shot from our ground blind, but i was sitting around the bend in a tree stand.

My window of opportunity for a clean shot was small and i missed the opportunity to shoot. Oh well, i’ll be back at it on sunday.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well
    If you found no hair, Probably clean misses. They'll not be far. Take your time shooting. Even a fast trigger pull is enough to cause a miss.

The first one I blame myself. I rushed it because the spike started trotting to catch up with the doe as she had pulled about 80yds ahead of him and crossed my path. He kept trotting then stopping and I shot just as he started to trot across the path. I think I lead too much missed and then shot in front of him again on the follow-up.

I still can’t figure the 6-pt. He just stood there looking at me on the first shot and I didn’t think I rushed it or it was bad other than I think I was aiming a bit far forward and low.

For the life of me I kept thinking when they are close, I need to aim low...NO I’ve gotta aim high as the bullet is coming up close in (I wasn’t aiming under them, but I was probably aiming a couple inches below the shoulder and if I pulled the shots a little too Bah). The second shot was rushed even though he was standing there looking at me and that’s when he bolted. Could have been a clean miss or could have winged him. But yeah, I couldn’t find any sign fron either deer and I spent awhile walking back and forth in the area they were standing and also along the general path both took. Nothing.

I wish that doe was legal today. I probably (maybe) would have come home with something.

Saw nothing but squirrels this evening. Back at it tomorrow. Worst comes to worst I’ve got 60+ pounds of venision in my freezer from the 5 point and at least 15 left over from the two deer last year (trying to finish it off). So if I go home empty handed it isn’t a big deal, just a little frustrating from having messed up.

Well I’ll probably also try the Eastern Shore again for the end of the late gun season and I might take my kids out for an hour or two each during late muzzleloader season.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I sat for 4 hrs this morning and saw one small doe....I passed
    3 hrs this eve and not a single one sighted.
    I have only spotted a handful of deer this firearms season,with one 4pt that my grand son shot , 3 small does ,which I passed and one doe on another property that I dont have permission. I have hunted a bunch more than usual.I try to get 3 to 4 deer in the freezer and I am usually done by now.I did get a nice size doe in early ML so I have a bunch of catching up to do.
    Cmon deer.....I dont want to buy beef....lol

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I sat for 4 hrs this morning and saw one small doe....I passed
    3 hrs this eve and not a single one sighted.
    I have only spotted a handful of deer this firearms season,with one 4pt that my grand son shot , 3 small does ,which I passed and one doe on another property that I dont have permission. I have hunted a bunch more than usual.I try to get 3 to 4 deer in the freezer and I am usually done by now.I did get a nice size doe in early ML so I have a bunch of catching up to do.
    Cmon deer.....I dont want to buy beef....lol

Dont feel bad. A lot of the hunters i’ve spoke to this year (including myself) are in the same boat. My buddy dropped a deer off at the butcher the other day and he said its been one of his slowest years yet.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Well

The first one I blame myself. I rushed it because the spike started trotting to catch up with the doe as she had pulled about 80yds ahead of him and crossed my path. He kept trotting then stopping and I shot just as he started to trot across the path. I think I lead too much missed and then shot in front of him again on the follow-up.

I still can’t figure the 6-pt. He just stood there looking at me on the first shot and I didn’t think I rushed it or it was bad other than I think I was aiming a bit far forward and low.

For the life of me I kept thinking when they are close, I need to aim low...NO I’ve gotta aim high as the bullet is coming up close in (I wasn’t aiming under them, but I was probably aiming a couple inches below the shoulder and if I pulled the shots a little too Bah). The second shot was rushed even though he was standing there looking at me and that’s when he bolted. Could have been a clean miss or could have winged him. But yeah, I couldn’t find any sign fron either deer and I spent awhile walking back and forth in the area they were standing and also along the general path both took. Nothing.

I wish that doe was legal today. I probably (maybe) would have come home with something.

Saw nothing but squirrels this evening. Back at it tomorrow. Worst comes to worst I’ve got 60+ pounds of venision in my freezer from the 5 point and at least 15 left over from the two deer last year (trying to finish it off). So if I go home empty handed it isn’t a big deal, just a little frustrating from having messed up.

Well I’ll probably also try the Eastern Shore again for the end of the late gun season and I might take my kids out for an hour or two each during late muzzleloader season.

If you aim low and flinch at the shot,you will miss under the deer

Dont ask me how I know this little tid bit :innocent0

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Dont feel bad. A lot of the hunters i’ve spoke to this year (including myself) are in the same boat. My buddy dropped a deer off at the butcher the other day and he said its been one of his slowest years yet.

The three landowners where I hunt,keep me updated with deer sightings during the year.None have reported seeing fewer deer this year compared to the rest.One has actually seen more deer and for the first time,the deer were in her front yard eating on her flowers.

So...what gives????

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    The three landowners where I hunt,keep me updated with deer sightings during the year.None have reported seeing fewer deer this year compared to the rest.One has actually seen more deer and for the first time,the deer were in her front yard eating on her flowers.

So...what gives????

They’re evolving?

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Someone slipped up and showed up in the back yard at 2pm. That's my shooting backstop in the back, so he was in a bad place. Hadn't hunted home much this year with last months elk hunt so they've been bolder than usual.
    b4cb9378b49da962127914d84fe3d49b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you aim low and flinch at the shot,you will miss under the deer

Dont ask me how I know this little tid bit :innocent0

Yeah. I suspect that’s what I am doing. I need to aim a little higher, slightly further back and I also need to try to brace better. I’ve got a damn sling that works fine to help brace and I am not even using that.

Hopefully something will wander out during my morning sit. I will at least be sitting which will give a much improved rest/stance.

Also need to remember to bring my bibs. Was really dang cold sitting direct on the ground this evening with just light weight hunting pants and one layer of long underwear on (I had a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, wool sweater, fleece jacket AND my hunting parka over top...but when your legs and butt don’t have much insulation and you are sitting direct on the ground...2 1/2hrs later I was shivering).

That’s not far from where I missed the spike. Hopefully I didn’t chase all the deer away from the area.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Someone slipped up and showed up in the back yard at 2pm. That's my shooting backstop in the back, so he was in a bad place. Hadn't hunted home much this year with last months elk hunt so they've been bolder than usual.

Wrong place, wrong time for that one. Congrats!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Good luck to all and bundle up.
    Indeed
    This was a text exchange this morning between my son and me.
    A grand slam is sounding pretty good right about now.

Attachments

• 9D8FE176-1B59-4BF6-A2EB-5B85162E47EF.jpeg
      9D8FE176-1B59-4BF6-A2EB-5B85162E47EF.jpeg
      48.5 KB · Views: 187

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis

Awesome.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    Indeed
    This was a text exchange this morning between my son and me.
    A grand slam is sounding pretty good right about now.

True. That is exactly what my buddy and I decided on a cold morning last season. Another buddy took my spot and whacked a 10 pointer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom