• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I hate going indoors but I don't live convenient to Elk Neck or AGC any more. Would join Delta Peach Bottom in a heartbeat (they're near my parents) but they arent even putting people on a wait list.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I stopped going to their range after witnessing some federal law enforcement acting like asses flagging everyone. No RSO said a word.

Made me long for the days of continental and the roadie guy. At least there was order.

Jub

Oct 23, 2020
    Agreed with the premise of this post overall. As a new gun owner who shot a few times throughout my childhood years, I have been amazed and disappointed by the ethos of freestate. I would prefer to be outdoors either way but appreciate that freestate is open to the public, close, and convenient. However, the lack of fundamental safety exhibited and enforced at the range is offputting to say the least. To regularly see people who do not understand the basic concept and discipline of keeping a firearm pointed down range at all times is disconcerting to say the least. The philosophy that a lot of the clientele treat it like a go-kart track is unfortunately true. I'm of the younger generation but I hate the phone culture overall and the idea that people do things to broadcast it to the world and let others know that they did it instead of for their own enjoyment. That's a wider cultural issue that spans well beyond the scope of this post and is related to the concept of people treating it like a go-kart track. How to continue attracting new people to firearms in a positive light while not embracing that ideology, I'm not sure.

What other public ranges are available as an alternative? That's my question and I'd like to know other places. I've thought this about freestate since the first time I've been there but I'm not sure where else I can go.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I shoot at a private range , it has rules and you have to be invited to loin . No yutes carrying on and you will be called out making mistakes and doing safety protocol out of order . I'd rather have that .

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    This has been my experience at freestate also. Now I only go at opening time. No evenings or weekends.

I used to go only mornings, right when they opened. It’s about a 30-40 minute drive for me, depending on traffic. Several times I would happen to arrive and they’d have quals going on for either a security company or FLEOs were using the range and it was completely inaccessible for at least 30 minutes, sometimes longer.

No thank you. I haven’t been there in a couple years now. Sounds like I’m not missing much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Even the inside of the store has slid.

The range is clearly getting worn, expected but they could paint something.

The display cases are all out in the room now and the counter cases have been covered with black sheet something. It looks like a damned laser tag or a bowling alley.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    It doesn’t need to be warm to shoot at the AGC I was there from 0830-1700 today. I’ve been to a few indoor ranges and I’ll take outdoors any day.

I belong to SLCFSA and I love going when it’s cold. Hell I’ll even go when it’s lightly raining or snowing. Covered positions ftw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    It’s sad to see a local range go downhill like that. I stopped going to Continental because of “roadie guy” that was a little too touchy feely with my firearms. When randy announced he was opening an indoor range near me I was so excited. They had all kinds of cool fun events. I was a member for years without issue. When I couldn’t get a lane for hours and saw lots of unsafe behavior I canceled my membership. I went a few times last year, but I only went on weeknights knowing the mayhem on weekends. So frustrating to have a convenient place to shoot take such a turn.

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    I stopped going to indoor and outdoor public ranges a few years ago. I worked very hard to develop my private range on private property. I can punch paper, bang steel and draw from a holster whenever I like. AGC was ok but I was driven away by the asshattery of the officers and trustees.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I highly suggest The Guntry Club. I’m going to speak to them about a MDS Membership Option, maybe lower the price of membership for us.

In regards to loud firearms, I try to be respectful of the people next to me when I shoot but I don’t think I should be looked down upon if my 7.5” AR pistol with muzzle brake happens to be a little louder than my suppressed Ruger 22LR pistol.

This is perhaps my only fuddy quality

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I don’t recall ever seeing a RO stationed on the pistol range there- maybe they walk down from time to time. Of course I usually am on the rifle range so I could be missing this.

They walk down and unobtrusively reconnoiter the pistola range, seemingly at a minimum of once an hour.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I say, good on Bert for taking new shooters to the range and letting them try-out other things. We all should do more of that.

I try to avoid indoor ranges whenever possible but especially when meeting new shooters who may not yet be accustomed to muzzle blast. Best to get them outdoors a few times before going indoors. I still like the NRA Range and wish I lived closer to Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah bro I’m with you but for other reasons.

I’ve never had any unsafe shooter issues there and honestly i always thought the range itself was very nice.

Twice i went there when they opened to find out a security company rented the range and it would be a long wait until they finished.

These things should be done before open to the public. Maybe things have changed now as this was a while ago but it’s an hour trip there for me.

MSAR has a separate range (or had, haven’t been in a while) for these things.

I did love their Wednesday night fun event shoots.

I am just not driving 2 hour round trip to be denied.

When i did get to shoot there (4-5) times i did enjoy it. Their prices on guns were a little wild though. Still wish them a solid success.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    This just reaffirms that I need to get on finding a local outdoor range which I can join. There are plenty around but none seem convenient. Baltimore county fish and game doesn't appear to be taking new members unfortunately.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    This just reaffirms that I need to get on finding a local outdoor range which I can join. There are plenty around but none seem convenient. Baltimore county fish and game doesn't appear to be taking new members unfortunately.

I joined SLCFSA last year and I love it. It's in Quarryville, PA, about 45 minutes from my house in Bel Air so it might be a hike for you. But they are accepting new members and the next new member orientation is on March 7. $100 for first year and $75 after that. Rifle ranges out to 300 yards and individual pistol shooting bays, all outside. Nice people and nice facilities.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I joined SLCFSA last year and I love it. It's in Quarryville, PA, about 45 minutes from my house in Bel Air so it might be a hike for you. But they are accepting new members and the next new member orientation is on March 7. $100 for first year and $75 after that. Rifle ranges out to 300 yards and individual pistol shooting bays, all outside. Nice people and nice facilities.

Quarryville isn't too awful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom