• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So because I have nothing better to do I have been contemplating buying a 375 H&H from Weatherby. Specifically the vanguard dangerous game model. Why you ask? Why not a 350 legend or something that has an actual use in MD? Because I am not smart and have gotten it into my head I need some sort of big bore rifle to add to the collection. So folks who own them, how are they to shoot? Anyone reload for them? I own another vanguard model that I've been very happy with.

Link to rifle I'm considering
    https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-dangerous-game-rifle-375-hh/

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a Safari Grade Browning. Stout recoil, but not stupid. It's a "do anything" big game gun.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Just remember, to use it means you have to feed it and that's not cheap or easy to come by.

To me it would be like replacing a 100 mile commuter trip King Air with a Phantom but if that's what YOU want..... enjoy!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I have a Safari Grade Browning. Stout recoil, but not stupid. It's a "do anything" big game gun.

Thanks for the info. I'm not recoil sensitive but never shot anything like this before. Yeah at beat I'd prolly shoot a bear with it. No desire or plans to go to Africa except when work sends me.

Just remember, to use it means you have to feed it and that's not cheap or easy to come by.

To me it would be like replacing a 100 mile commuter trip King Air with a Phantom but if that's what YOU want..... enjoy!

I've been running the numbers and I can reload it for a buck a round for just soft points if I can ever source the components. Solids are a buck a bullet so two bucks reloaded.

What Would Bert Gummer Do?

After all, you never know when Big Foot is going to come after your stamp collection. Enjoy!

Bigfoot probably will be discovered in 2021 the way this year has started.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    If you're staying in North America, it's overkill. Do you have a .300 win mag? Or .338?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If you're looking for a Weatherby I have two Mark V rifles...one in 7mm Weatherby Magnum and the other in .300 Weatherby Magnum. Either one will do what you want. I have a box of ammunition for both for sale in the classifieds...I'd throw the appropriate ammo in with the rifle.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    If you're staying in North America, it's overkill. Do you have a .300 win mag? Or .338?

Totally overkill. Thought about a 300 win mag but decided against it. I don't have any place to shoot 1000 yards and I think the 375 would be more fun shooting stuff at 100 yards.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I just missed oiut on a CZ 375 H&H used on consignment for $500. I wanted it just because, probably never would have hunted with it but I thought it'd be a blast to shoot!

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    I have a ruger no1 safari in 375. Filling my quigley hole along with my 45-70 h&r haha. Great gun but you really need to hit something hard or else it just drills holes. Needs mass to push back against and expand (like an elephant head). I bring it out for guests and my birthday haha. Not a hurting recoil like some say. 12g is worse.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have an Interarms Whitworth Express rifle in .375 H&H. Bought it at an estate auction way below value. I actually went to the auction to bid on that rifle. I bought it because every year for the last 4-5 I keep beggin' my friend Michael Bane of the Outdoor channel to include me on one of his African safaris.
    I figure everyone needs at least one rifle that is capable of killing every land animal on the planet. You know, just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom