Looking for a Colt 14.5" Barrel For Your Next SBR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ski169

May 28, 2012
    So, here's my question. I bought a BCM A2 extended flash hider to be pinned and welded onto the end. It will add enough length to make the barrel just over 16 inches. It has the predrilled hole and pin. I have the Colt stock too.

This will work, right? And, who does this kind of work?

Thanks guys

Those parts will work. If you don’t mind sending it out, Dave Wilson of DWilson Manufacturing in Colorado does awesome work. A lot of the guys in the KAC group use him and I’ve bought some tools from him. I’d use him if I was getting a muzzle device P/W’d. But it looks like Outrider has a place more local.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Check out this You Tube discussing the more recent Colt manufacture. Nothing earth shattering, but the gist of it is that Colt no longer makes their own parts any more like they did a number of years ago.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I don’t mind watching his videos, but that one wasn’t really truthful. Just a lot of speculation on his part and somewhat disingenuous. I will say I don’t believe Colt is the same as it used to be, but I don’t believe they are an exception as every company has generally done the same thing when it comes to subbing and outsourcing parts production and whatnot.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I don’t mind watching his videos, but that one wasn’t really truthful. Just a lot of speculation on his part and somewhat disingenuous. I will say I don’t believe Colt is the same as it used to be, but I don’t believe they are an exception as every company has generally done the same thing when it comes to subbing and outsourcing parts production and whatnot.

And you still get the QC from Colt that you don't get from a PSA or similar.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Check out this You Tube discussing the more recent Colt manufacture. Nothing earth shattering, but the gist of it is that Colt no longer makes their own parts any more like they did a number of years ago.

He's grasping. From a collector standpoint people will lose interest but I'll bet that the quality is still there and they QC it so it comes out running like a top. Unlike many other manufacturers.

He'd be really confused if he did a review on a 6920HBPW. I've seen uppers with NO markings left of the ejection port and others that have markings.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

If you pay your suppliers for proper QC checks, tighter tolerances and the higher rejection rate, you'll get great parts. The actual maker of the parts should only be a big deal to collectors.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    He's grasping. From a collector standpoint people will lose interest but I'll bet that the quality is still there and they QC it so it comes out running like a top. Unlike many other manufacturers.

He'd be really confused if he did a review on a 6920HBPW. I've seen uppers with NO markings left of the ejection port and others that have markings.

If you pay your suppliers for proper QC checks, tighter tolerances and the higher rejection rate, you'll get great parts. The actual maker of the parts should only be a big deal to collectors.

I think you two said it best.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Shark Arms has complete SOCOM 14.5" uppers available (i.e. in stock) built from surplus parts. $675 no BCG or CH

https://sharkarms.com/

Got mine. Barrel looks great and it's a SOCOM. The upper receiver is a Colt with nice wear on it. Came with the P&S handguard wrapped in plastic (including the rail covers). They look new. Not sure I'll install.

Gotta get an optic for it and a rear sight.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Got mine. Barrel looks great and it's a SOCOM. The upper receiver is a Colt with nice wear on it. Came with the P&S handguard wrapped in plastic (including the rail covers). They look new. Not sure I'll install.

Gotta get an optic for it and a rear sight.

That’s great to hear. Sounds like you received what you ordered. I don’t know why, but I find them to be one of the best configurations. I’ve built a couple and have the Colt SOCOM property marked 6920 with that upper and I couldn’t be happier. I’d shoot the snot out of it.

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    Did it come with the side sling swivel, at the front site? I had to buy one. Just got it yesterday. I still need the optics too. I changed my mind about the Matech sight, and am going with the Knights Armament micro rear sight. I need to find out what the official optic is? Anyone know?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Did it come with the side sling swivel, at the front site? I had to buy one. Just got it yesterday. I still need the optics too. I changed my mind about the Matech sight, and am going with the Knights Armament micro rear sight. I need to find out what the official optic is? Anyone know?

No swivel. Don't know what the official optic is but I'm probably going with the MRO.

Ski169

May 28, 2012

For a KAC micro rear sight, Operation Parts got in a bunch last weekend. I ordered two and they are being delivered today. They are the only place I’ve found them in stock. As far as an optic, I’d use whatever I feel most comfortable with. But for clone purposes, the Aimpoint Comp M4 or Trijicon TA31RCOM4 should be correct. I sold my Aimpoint and used a Trijicon TA01NSN instead. It works but doesn’t have the fiber optic lighting setup. Tritium only.

Last edited:

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Here is a used FN upper from Shark Arms; not bad at all. I did however find a Colt upper receiver new from Brownells which I also have on the way. Not sure I'll use first. One for the 14.5" barrel and then another for a Colt Commando style 11.5" next :)

Just received my two uppers (same as yours) today. Not impressed. Twice in a row SAC has disappointed.

Attachments

• 8F17370D-DF7A-4E08-A26A-9250AF9E8FD1.jpg
      8F17370D-DF7A-4E08-A26A-9250AF9E8FD1.jpg
      53.2 KB · Views: 133

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    That hole looks similar to my Colt. Seems it opened up a bit from shooting? Is this a big problem? I'm concerned now.

Excessive use is probably the cause but it is a surplus (used) upper. I pinned them to a quality lower and it’s a sloppy fit. But I couldn’t find my feeler gauge kit before I had to go furniture shopping with the spousal unit to check the actual clearance between the receivers. I wouldn’t say it’s a major concern but I have the gauges to check it and this is what I found. The pivot pin (front lug) is good though. And these are those funky FN CAGE coded uppers with a raised “C” that’s supposed to be a Colt mark and they have an Anchory Harvey forge mark as well. If you ordered one, your results may vary. Just throwing out there what I found with mine so far.

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    Okay thanks. I'll throw up some pics of mine later. It is all Colt. Also, on the Brownells orders, there's a Q & A button on the order page to find out what other folks are asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom