• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have an American Eagle safe with an electronic lock on it. I bought it 15 years ago... Now that I am aware of EMP , I am pissed that I didn’t get one with a simple combination lock....

Although i think this is a silly reason i WILL NOT buy electronic locks with extra keys. I am a dial combo guy all day.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I probably keep too much cash... but it makes me feel better knowing I can get to it when I need it. I'd say for most folks 5K is a good number. Cash for short term emergencies... Au, Ag, and Pt for longer term.
    Some cash on hand better than no cash on hand

I think you’re good to go Doc

A fist full of Texas tens will still get somebody’s attention early on (following) day X...should it ever arrive.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    The stuff that can happen, that you have never imagined is what the cash is for.

I will admit, hurricanes have thrown me a curve ball a time or 2.

Ernesto made me buy a new ridge vent and hardware for the house, because flying debris knocked the old one off. Thankfully, I had an unused tarp to keep the rain out during the storm.

No doubt, but I surely wouldn't want to have as much as $10k laying around to get destroyed or stolen.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yes, because every time we have had extensive prolonged power outages, the local hardware store had anything we could have wanted, as long as we weren't using a credit card.

Same with the grocery store. They were happy to let you in, as long as you were paying cash.

*****This is my thinking as well. It has happened in my lifetime several times over the years - prolonged power outages and stores only taking cash. I saw many many people very very angry that stores could not process credit cards for whatever reason and folks with cash just paid for whatever they needed and walked out.

Yes, if we have societal break down the cash will probably only work at first, but I have the *other* things too (metals, ammo, bitcoin, foreign money, toilet paper, food, a nice ass, etc...)

I don't see a disadvantage in having cash on hand for mebbe 90% of really bad things happening that are real world scenarios that are most likely *to* happen.

Yes yes, EMP, nuclear fallout, commies invading us, BLM invading us, liberal white haired women arming up and demanding action - lots of things *could* happen, but you prepare for what is likely TO happen given probabilities and the Coriolis effect in this hemisphere, etc...

No matter what, I do know I won't have everything I need if things really go badly. Pretty sure most people, including hard core preppers, if they are honest, will know this as well. Having cash is a smart thing for most situations that are likely to happen IMO.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    *****This is my thinking as well. It has happened in my lifetime several times over the years - prolonged power outages and stores only taking cash. I saw many many people very very angry that stores could not process credit cards for whatever reason and folks with cash just paid for whatever they needed and walked out.

Yes, if we have societal break down the cash will probably only work at first, but I have the *other* things too (metals, ammo, bitcoin, foreign money, toilet paper, food, a nice ass, etc...)

I don't see a disadvantage in having cash on hand for mebbe 90% of really bad things happening that are real world scenarios that are most likely *to* happen.

Yes yes, EMP, nuclear fallout, commies invading us, BLM invading us, liberal white haired women arming up and demanding action - lots of things *could* happen, but you prepare for what is likely TO happen given probabilities and the Coriolis effect in this hemisphere, etc...

No matter what, I do know I won't have everything I need if things really go badly. Pretty sure most people, including hard core preppers, if they are honest, will know this as well. Having cash is a smart thing for most situations that are likely to happen IMO.

I'll charge a dollar each to let the hoards see this action and I'll be king of the hill!

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    MaxVO2. You devil

:party29::needpics::needpics::needpics::needpics::needpics::needpics:This

****Fair enough. As you can see, Grade A ass. It's even labeled that way for verification of the fine associty in case cash, bitcoin, ammo, booze, tp, and other forms of currency are not acceptable...

Duh... you don't pull that bad boy out unless you've exhausted all other options, but it's nice to have as a backup just in case. No true prepper should ignore this facet of prepping.

It takes lots of squats, lunges, single legged deadlifts, pistol squats, Bulgarian squats, and cycling to really make it valuable but it's kind of like compound interest in that there is synergy with the proper investment of time and diversity of exercises...

No better derriere anywhere is my motto! :lol:

Attachments

• grade A.jpg
      grade A.jpg
      94.2 KB · Views: 345

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    You guys won't tell someone how many and what types of guns are stored in your house, but have no issue indicating you have THOUSAND'S of dollars on hand. Just saying.

It's a fair point but if you have all your guns, ammo, cash and precious metals in one place, you are doing it wrong. I have seven in three different states.

Edit: Make that eight, nine if you count my truck.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    It's a fair point but if you have all your guns, ammo, cash and precious metals in one place, you are doing it wrong. I have seven in three different states.

Edit: Make that eight, nine if you count my truck.

I think some of it is a humble brag as well.

Considering the amount of debt the average person lives in, I'd be shocked if this many folks here had the thousands they claim. But perhaps that is why there is so much debt, these folks are storing up their cash and not paying the credit card bills.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I think some of it is a humble brag as well.

Considering the amount of debt the average person lives in, I'd be shocked if this many folks here had the thousands they claim. But perhaps that is why there is so much debt, these folks are storing up their cash and not paying the credit card bills.

You may be overlooking something.

A tendancy toward taking personal responsibility is probably not something that occurs only in one aspect of a person's life and is lacking in other areas. It shows in the side discussions here not related to the 2A... food & other supplies for covid & other urgent situations, winter emergency kits in cars, ammo stockpiling ;), etc.

I would bet that the average person participating on this forum has less debt and more savings than the average person in the general population of the country.

Kinetic

MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    Liquor and cigarettes. The apocalypse is kinda like prison.

Many moons ago before the Prepper thing was cool, I bought about 20 cartons each of Marlboro red flip tops and Kools (Covering the waterfront. Know what I'm sayin'?) at that place in NC on I-95 that sells them for rock bottom prices - to be used as barter after the Apocalyse.

Trouble is my weak ass burned them all up during the many attempts to quit smoking that I've been through.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have an American Eagle safe with an electronic lock on it. I bought it 15 years ago... Now that I am aware of EMP , I am pissed that I didn’t get one with a simple combination lock....

My safe has an electronic lock, it also has a key back-up if the keypad fails.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    We were talking about how much cash we should have in the safe for that just in case moment when your plastic is no good , First thing that comes to mind is a prolonged loss of power , My biggest fear is not being able to get more Gas or Propane because it's Cash only , I know in a total meltdown cash will only be valuable for a short time , I told my Girl friend that I would feel good with 10 Grand , She thinks that is to much and it's better to leave it in the bank , I said that's fine if you can get to it .How much do you keep

There isn't much difference between the bank and your safe at home. The interest you are receiving from the bank has got to be negligible and loss in buying power of $10,000 in the bank and in your safe is about the same now and will be about the same until bank interests rates rise above 3 or 4 percent.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    There isn't much difference between the bank and your safe at home. The interest you are receiving from the bank has got to be negligible and loss in buying power of $10,000 in the bank and in your safe is about the same now and will be about the same until bank interests rates rise above 3 or 4 percent.

For now I agree but I’m thinking that I should have at least part of my emergency cash stash as gold coin to hedge a bit against inflation.

Also as noted above in a real SHTF scenario inflation might just skyrocket within a matter of days or hours. I’m prepared to pay $20/gal for gas or $500 a night in a cheap motel 6. My emergency stash will buy me through the first week if I’m lucky. Hopefully that’s enough time and money to get to rural PA or WVA to stay with extended family for a while if needed.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    ****Fair enough. As you can see, Grade A ass. It's even labeled that way for verification of the fine associty in case cash, bitcoin, ammo, booze, tp, and other forms of currency are not acceptable...

Duh... you don't pull that bad boy out unless you've exhausted all other options, but it's nice to have as a backup just in case. No true prepper should ignore this facet of prepping.

It takes lots of squats, lunges, single legged deadlifts, pistol squats, Bulgarian squats, and cycling to really make it valuable but it's kind of like compound interest in that there is synergy with the proper investment of time and diversity of exercises...

No better derriere anywhere is my motto! :lol:
    Assk and ye shall receive

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

It is indeed paltry, the amount of interest being paid in a regular savings/money market account.

I keep a thousand at home in $20's like forever. Need to break it up in smaller denominations.

I always have cash on me too. I feel naked without a wad of cash on my person. For those who just use a credit card/ATM card everyday; I 'm not comfortable just with that. I use a credit card too but I also like the reassuring presence of cold, hard cash in my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom