• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    ...space and weight...

How do you ensure you’ll have what you need when you get where you’re going? Rhetorical.

Unless of course you’re already at your final destination.

I probably phrased my post poorly, I'm not thinking grab 1,000lbs of tools and bug out. I'm looking at the long-slow-decline type of scenario.

Think hyper inflation, lack of availability of goods and services, etc.

More on the self-sufficiency side of things. I want to have what i need in order to fix things where I am.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I didn't want to start a new thread because this one already had some good info in it.

I am making it a task this year to both add to my collection of USA made tools and to also purge some of my Chinesium stuff if it is stuff that i would use on a regular basis.

This is both an economic as well as a SHTF type preparation.

Good tools are increasingly more expensive. Per the Alpha Strategy, it makes sense to buy tools now in anticipation of what you may need down the road and to buy high quality durable tools.

My current target is to fill out my socket tools. I have a great set of USA made Craftsman sockets in metric and SAE that are 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". It was the standard package back in around 1989.

What I don't have are extensions and breaker bars, which limits use on some things, especially engines.

So, questions:

1. What length extensions are most practical for each sized drive? Buying ones that are too long may be as bad as buying too short?

2. Breaker bar lengths? Looks like they really limit the 1/4" drive lengths, presumably because it's more likely to break the socket than actually do it's job.

There are some USA made ones on the McMaster-Carr site, and I have a line on two estate collections that I might go poke through this week.

I just don't want to go overkill for stuff that I'll really never use, only because it takes up space.

I have used 6" extentions more than any other. Sometimes even the "good" ones break, I snapped the end of one off the other day, so I like to have a couple of them on hand.

Breaker bars, There are a couple of styles to choose from swivel head and straight through bar/handle. Standard length is fine. If you need more force, a piece of pipe that slips over the handle will take care of that.

Most of my tools were stolen years ago back when I lived in "Sucksville" and I am gradually replacing those that are most useful. Btw, When I work on something, it seems like everything is metric these days.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Whenever I'm at flea markets or yard sales, I tend to pick up any serviceable cheap hand tools I find. I have more than I will probably ever need but I figure in a grid down type scenario there will be friends and family who need a basic kit or I can use them for barter.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I probably phrased my post poorly, I'm not thinking grab 1,000lbs of tools and bug out. I'm looking at the long-slow-decline type of scenario.

Think hyper inflation, lack of availability of goods and services, etc.

More on the self-sufficiency side of things. I want to have what i need in order to fix things where I am.
    Aye. Great plan.

Part of prepping that’s imo the hardest part is WHEN and WHERE. Neither of those are really controllable or predictable.

Unless you’ve established a fully stocked redoubt somewhere, brother Murphy is likely to out in an appearance if and when.

Being handy and self sufficient tool wise is always sound. Because when the supply chain shits the bed for the last time...well, it ain’t gonna be pretty for those who Amazon and Uber and DoorDash and hire out everything.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Sounds like you have the basics covered. I’m assuming you are mainly looking for tools for general auto repair or lawnmowers ect.

For breaker bar I have two both 1/2” drive. One is 12” and the other is about 20”. The 12” one is something WW2 era that I got from my grandfather it does not have a swivel on the end and I think it’s forged 1pc. If I need more leverage I have a section of 1” pipe that I can use. The larger one is an old Craftsman that I brought around 82 it does have a swivel head but it’s been solid. I do not think there is really a need for 3/8 drive breaker bars.

For extensions I probably have a bit more. For 1/4” drive get a 6-8” extension. For 3/8” drive 2” is useful as is 6” and 12”. For 1/2” drive I also have a 6” and 12”.

I removed and rebuilt the engine on an Audi A4 in my suburban garage. If repairing a modern car is one of your potential goals I think you should also consider the following tools.

3/8” drive Torx set short tips are fine but it is sometimes useful to have the extended tip too.
    0998d82fcacbbdaf1d835e7fa4732473.jpg

3/8” Drive Hex set short tips get most of the jobs done but occasionally the long tips are useful in tight spaces.

Some cars (Audi) have very large Hex plugs for transmission or gearboxes. Stupid sizes like 19mm hex so I also have a set of 1/2” drive Allen Impact sockets.
    c8e435df7e99980c0fa74460e013bfe8.jpg

A set of offset wrenches can be a real lifesaver at times.
    b3c86a6d3fb252ab5748b1dcfb0c1b84.jpg

A good set of screw/bolt extractors are a must.

Also a good 1/2” drive torque wrench.

Regarding buy American I think it’s a good approach but I’ve got plenty of Chinese stuff in my toolbox. Nothing has really failed me thus far. If I was on a limited budget and a choice to spend $500 more on hand tools or use that saved money to buy a really high quality vice and stand, I would buy the Chinese tools and get the vice.

Might also consider a good lift or hoist they come in handy too.

040c60b6df3c522b08311e71b59feffa.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Whenever I'm at flea markets or yard sales, I tend to pick up any serviceable cheap hand tools I find. I have more than I will probably ever need but I figure in a grid down type scenario there will be friends and family who need a basic kit or I can use them for barter.

I like to dig around and find the old tools,
    Like the ones that are found in an old beer box covered in dirt and rust that came out of Oom pa's wooden tool box.

Another good thing to have around is one of the smaller Wyoming saws that come in the belt case.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I like to dig around and find the old tools,
    Like the ones that are found in an old beer box covered in dirt and rust that came out of Oom pa's wooden tool box.

Another good thing to have around is one of the smaller Wyoming saws that come in the belt case.
    I hated when my truck was burglarized (3 times in 40 years) and my tool box was stolen. All the standard tools were easily replaced. It's all those specialty tools you bought, made, and often customized that you don't think about until you need them again.

Sorry for the sideline...

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have a collection of antique wood working tools like spoke shaves, jack planes, hand drills and augers and bits. Good off the grid if you have no power. I also have a big inventory of hatchets and axes. I have two of these axes from years ago that are a multi tool also. I am sure many have seen or owned them. Its a hatchet with metal and wood primitive oak handle. It has a hammer on the back opposite of the ax blade. Also a pry bar up top and a nail puller. I have way too many modern hand tools also. A good thing to have is hand saws. Also these small stainless steel multi tools they have now that go onto a key chain. They have screwdriver and also has multi size nut removal tool.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I hated when my truck was burglarized (3 times in 40 years) and my tool box was stolen. All the standard tools were easily replaced. It's all those specialty tools you bought, made, and often customized that you don't think about until you need them again.

Sorry for the sideline...

Yes Sir it really eats into a person after they have had their tools stolen. There are guys that look for service vans and vehicles at work sites and rob them. I was up on a roof of a building and working on an A/C unit. They drilled a hole in my door with a cordless drill and used a coat hanger or wire I guess to pop up the latch. These thieves are pros it seems. I was so sick when I found my tool gone. You get so used to your certain tools and even replacing them is not the same. After your privacy was invaded and you have been a victim of theft it eats at you.

Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    I had 2 major tool thefts over the years. I always felt it was the worst sort of theft. It’s like a corollary to “give a man a fish vs teach a man to fish.” You’ve been robbed of what you need to make a living.
    And the resale value to the thieves was a pittance compared to replacement cost to you. Just like Whelen they would steal the copper pupils out of the houses. Thousands in damage for maybe a couple hundred in scrap.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    I'll preface this by saying that I'm a home user, and not a professional. With that being said, I've amassed a decent collection of tools, and always try to "use the correct tool for the job", whenever possible. I also try to spend my money wisely, and purchase quality.

In my experience, I've gotten the most use from the 3"/6"/10" socket extensions. Usually 3" or 6" for the ¼ and ⅜, and 6" or 10" for the ½. The 1.5" stubby extensions are also quite helpful, for situations where you're working in a tight space, but need a little standoff.

Standard extensions are great, for when you have unfettered access to the fastener. Wobble extensions give you the ability to tilt the extension slightly, which can be invaluable if you don't have 90 degree access.

However, wobble extensions have enough play that they can become annoying to use if you're cranking away on long fasteners. (Instead of being cut square, on all four sides of the head, a wobble extension has a sort of scallop cut away from both the top and bottom of the tip, where the socket attaches, allowing the attached socket to rock a little bit)

One other feature that can be helpful, when working on fasteners that are hard to reach, is a locking detent mechanism on the tip. With one of those, it makes it far less likely that you'll inadvertently leave a socket on a recessed fastener.

Breaker bars come in a few different "standard" lengths, but most of the commonly available sizes are 5"-8" for ¼, 8"-18" for ⅜, and 18"-24+" for ½. The ones I use the most are my 14" ⅜ and 24" ½.

They also sell extendable breaker bars, which have a hollow sleeve around the bar, that slides out to increase the overall length of the tool, but then collapses down for easier storage/portability.

Neither of the items you're looking for are mechanically complex (extensions and breaker bars are about as simple as it gets), and it doesn't sound like you're planning to be using them in a professional or critical performance situation (racing or combat zone). As such, you'd probably get everything you'd need from Husky/Craftsman/Gearwrench/Crescent/Harbor Freight.

However if you're looking for USA made, you'd probably want Cornwell, SK, Wright Tool, Proto, some Mac.

Finally, if it isn't a rush, I second the yard sales and flea markets route. While you'll see a ton of cheaply made tools, you'll also find a LOT of quality tools in good-to-great condition, selling for a fraction of what they'd cost new.

The only problem is that it could take a while to find the specific item(s) you're looking for.

Last edited:

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Good planning, Norton. I’m also trying to buy American products and not Chinese. I don’t plan to purge the chinesium I already have, but do plan to only buy USA moving forward. Harbor Freight is convenient but I hate that it’s all Chinese. I’m not going back.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Be sure to get multiple 10 and 12 mm sockets. They disappear in a heartbeat!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have used extensions from 1.5" through about 12 inches.

And yes, there are a lot of time when you need specific ones. Too short doesn't reach, too long does not fit due to interference with other things.

Breaker bars, I typically want the longest ones. Shorter, I don't need a breaker bar.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Is this tool you might just generally need, or tools if STHF? Because if its the latter I an confused.

I mean if SHTF, there will probably be no gas, no electricity, so no need to fix the truck/car. So I am assuming sockets, engine lifts and such might not be as useful.

Am I wrong?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    It's Not A Hobby It's A Post-Apocalyptic Life Skill

If you Google "It's Not A Hobby It's A Post-Apocalyptic Life Skill" you will see that there are many hobby/skills that will be handy after TEOTWAWKI and most of them have there own specialized tools. Any tools especially quality tools will have value as trading stock for trading with those people who did not prepare.

Better yet learn to make your own Tools. This is a good read even if you don't have any interest in 'smithing, he has a lot of other information and his opinion on how things might be:
    The Post Apocalyptic Blacksmith
    http://endtimesreport.com/Smithing/smithing.html

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    and I have a line on two estate collections that I might go poke through this week.

I made an estate purchase a couple weeks ago. The entire content of tools from a garage and workshop. I lost my mind, told the Mrs. she was gonna' kill me. 2 full size F150 pickup loads stacked in the bed to the roof line and 4 door cab filled up. Its insane. I'm having a blast going through it. Lots of good USA made stuff, and some cheaper stuff that will be acceptable for non-commercial use. Some of it is making its way into my big a$$ box, and I've already thrown out any power tool that didn't work, and a bunch of rusty Tiawan (and the like) junk. It has taken me up until last night to actually sort out the junk, and now I'm in the process of sorting by types, then brand, then sets. Once I get it sorted I was going to put some in the classifieds here, and it'll be priced very reasonably. First batch for sale is pipe wrenches, my guys here at the shop took about half of them so far. I'll post up what's left of them later this evening. Everybody wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom