Old February 24th, 2021, 03:21 PM #131

I go to Freestate often. Mainly because it is 10 mins from my house and I can’t seem to get into Baltimore County Fish and Game. I can drive to other outdoor public ranges when the weather is better and I can get away for half a day. But it’s nice to be able to get out for an hour when I can.

I never feel 100% safe there. Although I try to minimize that as much as possible by going at off-peak hours and being aware of my surroundings. I have seen some crazy things happen. And I am surprised they haven’t had any issues to date.

The place always smells of weed. To their credit, I have seen them turn people away because they felt they were intoxicated.

Never really considered how much they fondled my firearms, but yup, they certainly do...

I am def going to look into Guntry and AGC. I wouldnt mind the drive for somewhere that’s safe and less crowded. Thanks for everyone throwing out alternatives.
NoahNoahNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2021, 04:46 PM #132

Bertfish,

I understand your grips but, I also go there and Friday, Saturday and Sundays. They are extremely busy on those days. I want to stress I do not work there, but I have enjoyed going there when I can. So issues you state are mainly for weekends and understand that it is going to be jam packed in there. Mabe consider going on a weekdays.
[1. Freestate makes anyone new to their facility or to shooting listen to a short discussion on firearms safety. I get it, basic CYA move. What's not useful is giving said discussion at the same counter where the mob has gathered to get checked in to the range. I use the word "discussion" very loosely too, shouting over a group of people (several of which are holding cell phones not paying attention) doesn't mean shit if you actually are trying to give a basic safety primer not just checking a liability box. This is especially true when you have a classroom which you could use to quietly and calmly give the same talk. The concern was on speed and getting people shooting, not on safety.]
I totally agree with the statement 1.
[2. The place has been overrun by urban yoots with cell phones. Before anyone accuses me of racial insensitivity bite me, there was every color and creed of ignorant in there tonight. Facetiming in the range, taking pictures, video while shooting, jamming up the lines because they are paying attention to their phone and not the world around them. The people shooting there tonight were treating that place like an amusement park, not a place where you can be injured or worse if the objects within are used improperly. The worst part is...]
2 That comes with the times everyone is on cell phones. When getting briefed, they could use that area to the side where the vending machines but you really can't force anyone to listen to anything.
[3. My wife and I did not see an RSO on duty. Appears as though the counter staff (who were overrun by hordes of people) are monitoring the range via camera. Maybe this is workable when they aren't busy but Friday night is busy as hell in there. This is damned unacceptable for a facility with every lane full of shooters on a busy night to short change safety in this manner.]
3. The RSO is monitored by camera and dose come in and check out the situation and clean every now and then, but it is already a tight fit in the lanes.
[4. Counter staff there still act like mall ninjas and want to finger bang all of your guns on the way in. If you open my case and see the gun locked open with no magazine in it there is no reason to proceed further. I got agitated with the one guy who started fiddling with my Kimber and (politely) told him to put it back in the case. My guns are not yours to fondle, make your safety check and move on.]
4. It's the price of admission and if you don't like it go somewhere else.
[5. A pet peeve of mine is guys going in there mag dumping ARs next lane over when I'm trying to instruct my wife. This happens everywhere and it is what it is, maybe I'm a bit of a fudd in this regard and I accept that. If they do have a rate of fire rule it sure wasn't being enforced or respected. Friday nights are always going to be peak hours but this time it was the only time we had available to go.]
5. If ammo dumping is a pet peeve go to elk neck state park where you have to wait 3 seconds before shooting your next round or buy your own property and shoot at your own pace.
[6. One of the mall ninja counter guys came in to let everyone know that it was getting near 9 and they'd be closing up shop soon. Guy in the lane next to me was clearly experienced, had a 300BLK rifle with a suppressor on it and was minding his own business shooting. Mall ninja stops and asks him if he "wants pointers" which the guy declines with a "no"- that didn't stop the pointers from coming anyways. Now I wouldn't have a particular issue with someone who is perhaps a little overzealous trying to help (in their own way) but I do have an issue when the damned range all around you looks like the wild west. Address the real issues mall ninja!!!!!!!!]
To be honest at this point this seems a little petty. For you I would highly suggest you buy your own shooting property or find a range you enjoy going to.

On a side not... Freestate is where my wife got her HQL and where I taught my kids to shot both ARs and handguns. It's not a perfect spot...but I enjoy going there and the staff and nice and knowledgeable. Maybe you need to invest in some property in West Virginia for your own private shooting where there are no "Mall ninja" around or check out some other gun ranges, you can give anyone a safety briefing, and count whatever amount of time you deem necessary for shooting your next round.
rhott25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2021, 05:51 PM #133
Me Myself & I

Me Myself & I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhott25 View Post
To be honest at this point this seems a little petty. For you I would highly suggest you buy your own shooting property or find a range you enjoy going to.

On a side not... Freestate is where my wife got her HQL and where I taught my kids to shot both ARs and handguns. It's not a perfect spot...but I enjoy going there and the staff and nice and knowledgeable. Maybe you need to invest in some property in West Virginia for your own private shooting where there are no "Mall ninja" around or check out some other gun ranges, you can give anyone a safety briefing, and count whatever amount of time you deem necessary for shooting your next round.
Lol, who you calling petty when you sounds like a condescending jerkoff....
Bboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2021, 06:20 PM #134

Post Long time member; I was there today

"Maybe you need to invest in some property in West Virginia for your own private shooting...".

Who do I connect with to purchase this type of property in WV? I have been wanting to acquire a piece of property precisely for shooting.

I am a long time member of FreeState. I was there today ~ noon. I was on a Waiting List...for 5 minutes. Pre-Wuhan pandemic lockdowns, I used to go on Sat/Sun mornings, arriving at the front door 0930 for the 1000 opening. I was first in, and choose the far-end lane. Yes, I am adamant about getting there first, to avoid the crowd. I read for a half hour before opening time. It is a bit of a haul for me; I live in Monkton. I do pass a range in Timonium on the way to and from FreeState. Snobbery at that location made my association with that shop short-lived.

Gun snobbery is a head scratcher for this old head. I am passionate about Wood & Steel - guns and guitars. I do not profess to be an expert in anything, though I do have a lifetime of experience. When young LE or former military speak condescendingly at gun ranges, I do not mention that I have been shooting for nearly a half century, and have sent countless (well, I certainly cannot remember) thousands of rounds downrange. Folks should not make assumptions of about the lack of knowledge, skills, and abilities of someone they've never met. I guess this is one of my Pet Peeves.

I like FreeState, though I can attest to one change over time that bothers me. The range used to be kept Boy Scout clean. Everybody cleaned up their own mess. This past year, however, the range is frequently blanketed with fired brass. And yes, I tell the folks about it. I have to clean up my lane (and I do the adjacent lanes as well) *before* shooting.

I'm sure I will sound like a grumpy old man when I say that I have observed a seeming relaxation of shooting range etiquette over the past two years.

I have purchased a bunch of guns there, and the process has been fine. I have taken several of their training classes, because I like training. The "Shooting Under Stress" was a good course, as was the MD W&C course.

Most (not all) of the staff are friendly and professional.

But, tell me again, how do I get hooked up with a coupla' scrub acres in WV? 8)
tjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2021, 08:47 PM #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhott25 View Post
Bertfish,

I understand your grips but, I also go there and Friday, Saturday and Sundays. They are extremely busy on those days. I want to stress I do not work there, but I have enjoyed going there when I can. So issues you state are mainly for weekends and understand that it is going to be jam packed in there. Mabe consider going on a weekdays.
[1. Freestate makes anyone new to their facility or to shooting listen to a short discussion on firearms safety. I get it, basic CYA move. What's not useful is giving said discussion at the same counter where the mob has gathered to get checked in to the range. I use the word "discussion" very loosely too, shouting over a group of people (several of which are holding cell phones not paying attention) doesn't mean shit if you actually are trying to give a basic safety primer not just checking a liability box. This is especially true when you have a classroom which you could use to quietly and calmly give the same talk. The concern was on speed and getting people shooting, not on safety.]
I totally agree with the statement 1.
[2. The place has been overrun by urban yoots with cell phones. Before anyone accuses me of racial insensitivity bite me, there was every color and creed of ignorant in there tonight. Facetiming in the range, taking pictures, video while shooting, jamming up the lines because they are paying attention to their phone and not the world around them. The people shooting there tonight were treating that place like an amusement park, not a place where you can be injured or worse if the objects within are used improperly. The worst part is...]
2 That comes with the times everyone is on cell phones. When getting briefed, they could use that area to the side where the vending machines but you really can't force anyone to listen to anything.
[3. My wife and I did not see an RSO on duty. Appears as though the counter staff (who were overrun by hordes of people) are monitoring the range via camera. Maybe this is workable when they aren't busy but Friday night is busy as hell in there. This is damned unacceptable for a facility with every lane full of shooters on a busy night to short change safety in this manner.]
3. The RSO is monitored by camera and dose come in and check out the situation and clean every now and then, but it is already a tight fit in the lanes.
[4. Counter staff there still act like mall ninjas and want to finger bang all of your guns on the way in. If you open my case and see the gun locked open with no magazine in it there is no reason to proceed further. I got agitated with the one guy who started fiddling with my Kimber and (politely) told him to put it back in the case. My guns are not yours to fondle, make your safety check and move on.]
4. It's the price of admission and if you don't like it go somewhere else.
[5. A pet peeve of mine is guys going in there mag dumping ARs next lane over when I'm trying to instruct my wife. This happens everywhere and it is what it is, maybe I'm a bit of a fudd in this regard and I accept that. If they do have a rate of fire rule it sure wasn't being enforced or respected. Friday nights are always going to be peak hours but this time it was the only time we had available to go.]
5. If ammo dumping is a pet peeve go to elk neck state park where you have to wait 3 seconds before shooting your next round or buy your own property and shoot at your own pace.
[6. One of the mall ninja counter guys came in to let everyone know that it was getting near 9 and they'd be closing up shop soon. Guy in the lane next to me was clearly experienced, had a 300BLK rifle with a suppressor on it and was minding his own business shooting. Mall ninja stops and asks him if he "wants pointers" which the guy declines with a "no"- that didn't stop the pointers from coming anyways. Now I wouldn't have a particular issue with someone who is perhaps a little overzealous trying to help (in their own way) but I do have an issue when the damned range all around you looks like the wild west. Address the real issues mall ninja!!!!!!!!]

Tried to read. No spacing between paragraphs.

Please reformat and we'll give it another try.
This may look like legal advice. It is not. I am not a Maryland lawyer. I do not know you or the details of your concerns. I cannot advise you or answer your legal questions. Hire your own counsel to advise you.
JohnnyE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2021, 10:28 PM #136
Me Myself & I

Me Myself & I

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
Tried to read. No spacing between paragraphs.

Please reformat and we'll give it another try.
I'll summarize since it's all bull
-he likes free state
-if you don't; buy your own range or land
Bboarder is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting