• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    We're building a small range at home soon and need some inspiration. Land is mostly flat so a berm is a must. Does anyone here have a small, backyard range or have ideas as to how to build the berm so it doesn't look like a pile of dirt?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Depending upon where you live it may have to pass county regulations, I would check with the county first. Not sure how close your neighbors are but the last thing you want is an errant round.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    No regulations where I am. Neighbors are all 1/4mi away at least but still looking to build a berm to stop errant rounds and ricochets. Want to build something like Hicock45 (who doesn't) but I don't have a hillside to utilize.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    We're building a small range at home soon and need some inspiration. Land is mostly flat so a berm is a must. Does anyone here have a small, backyard range or have ideas as to how to build the berm so it doesn't look like a pile of dirt?

Have 4 different backstops in MD. One is a natural steep hillside, another the backside of an old bank run gravel pit, and two man-made berms in heavily wooded timber. Trees growing around the sides and behind help berms to blend in. I figure you could do some landscaping to achieve a similar effect on your flat terrain. Oh, and decorate the front with targets. ;)

Do you have (or have access to) a loader? One thing to keep in mind is that your berm will require periodic maintenance. Bullet impacts accelerate what nature will do on its own - turn your mountain into a molehill. Heavy volume or fire will accelerate your required maintenance frequency.

Other advice: Never underestimate risks (shoot-through, shoot-over, or improbable ricochet). Orient away from homes, all the way out to max range if possible. Even if you're sure safety is not impacted, it's the neighborly thing to do. Remember, some day your range will be visible on Google Earth ...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As mentioned, landscape around it. Plant some trees behind and to the sides if it isn’t in the woods. It helps screen it and also increases the odds any ricochet gets caught. Depending on how big you want it to be railroad ties for the rear and sides can both help screen it, give it some form and reduce erosion of the berm.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Do you have (or have access to) a loader? One thing to keep in mind is that your berm will require periodic maintenance. Bullet impacts accelerate what nature will do on its own - turn your mountain into a molehill. Heavy volume or fire will accelerate your required maintenance frequency.

Other advice: Never underestimate risks (shoot-through, shoot-over, or improbable ricochet). Orient away from homes, all the way out to max range if possible. Even if you're sure safety is not impacted, it's the neighborly thing to do. Remember, some day your range will be visible on Google Earth ...

Yes sir I've got a tractor with a loader. How tall are your berms?

I've got the layout so that I'm as far away from neighbors homes as I can be. They're all shooters, too, and know what I'm building and where it will be. They may be more excited than I am. I've got a safe direction laid out. That along with a nice, tall berm should at least minimize the risk.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater

I've got the layout so that I'm as far away from neighbors homes as I can be. They're all shooters, too, and know what I'm building and where it will be. They may be more excited than I am. I've got a safe direction laid out. That along with a nice, tall berm should at least minimize the risk.

And inviting them over (if they're nice people) from time to time for some neighborly shooting fun will add to their support of your project. :thumbsup:

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones

Sounds like you are well-prepared. Having neighbors on-board is a major plus - Happy Shooting!

Man-made berms are 12ft high, 15ft deep at the base, but gradually erode throughout the seasons, the rate depending on the weather. During a year with heavy rain (like this one), they can lose 4ft during a spring/summer. We've all seen the various methods of slowing the process (beams, tires, even roofs). I haven't tried any of that since I enjoy working on the tractor ... plus, Mrs. GnR thinks it's sexy. :D

Terminal impacts will have an effect regardless, especially high volume milsurp and the bigger boomers. Erosion will be more uniform if you move your targets/stands periodically. I usually work on the 100m berm twice a year, pistol berm usually only once a year. My 2 natural backstops are 20 and 25ft high and very steep. They're not going anywhere.

Haven't mentioned it, but my "undisclosed location" berm is 800ft high and half a mile wide. I'm fabricating steel target stands for it now and am pretty amped over the prospect of having a private PR/etc. range.

tjohn55

LDO for CNO!
    Jan 13, 2016
    Willards, MD
    Lower Maryland Shore

mine....

Attachments

• RANGE2018.jpg
      RANGE2018.jpg
      86.8 KB · Views: 125

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    Our barn has a lean-to we often shoot from under. The only draw back is the slope of the roof in front of the muzzle bounces the blast right back at us. The effect is magnified by the wall behind us sending it back to us again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom