• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    After some constant nagging from a friend to get into IDPA I think I'll be making a jump fairly soon from just general range days to some additional practical pistol marksmanship with IDPA.

The general thing holding me off getting into IDPA is the fact I didn't feel like regularly stocking up on .40 or .45ACP as they are the most practical calibers of pistols I own. With a bit of reading into a few 9mm's for IDPA use I came down to a list of three with a few wildcards on the makes. My main criteria, besides being in 9, were to have a platform that was upgradable Listed below on original lines of interest are what I was hunting for to check out first hand:

1 - CZ 75 SP-01/P-09
    2 - Glock 34 MOS
    3 - Sig p320 fullsize

I was originally drawn to the CZ for two reasons. First off, over the years I've always met someone who said "you have to own a CZ in your lifetime" and after doing a bit of research, now seemed like the best time if any. Second, I was hoping to dip into NFA with suppressors this year and a threaded P-09 or 75 SP-01 seemed like it would fill both niches. The option of a decocker over a safety seemed like a nice feature for IDPA since it was a time reducer for IDPA events. This isn't a big part of why it interested me, but it still was a motivator. I hear the triggers out of the box are phenomenal, but with a little assistance from what Cajun Gun Works offers for springs these handguns become even better as the over travel of the trigger for the reset is drastically reduced. That said on my hunt to find a CZ last night to get a grip feel I stopped by 2A and the staff made a good point that the parts available for CZ's make them only slightly better and not dialable better. I'm still trying to find either an SP-01 or a P-09 locally to check out.

Being a current Glock owner (G23) I've come to the conclusion that if I want a handgun I can dial in to personal preferences Glock is the way to go. The prevalence of mags and aftermarket triggers made this almost to the top of my list, but I just wanted to try something new. The 34 though seemed like a good candidate as its extended slide will assist as compensating weight for accurate follow up shots. The only drawback I can find with Glock's are the OEM detent feel. To me there is too much factory slop prior to a solid trigger then to the break.

Then we come down to the Sig... My friend who has been pushing me towards IDPA said he went with a 320 and hasn't looked back after ditching his M&P for it. That said, it was an M&P which out of the box honestly need a bit of work in my opinion, so it was a no brainer. They are solid and I was able to check one out last night. The medium factory grips of the full size p320 were comfortable and the trigger was extremely smooth. Personally I like the out the box trigger of the Sig over the Glock, but still feel the striker fire slop that I'm trying to find if there are kits to remove it. The 2 A staff said to check out Gray's Gun's, but I'm not too big of a fan of sending out something new on a whim hoping the feel is what I want. Will it be better? Yes. Will it be better in the ways I'm looking for it to be better? I have no idea. Last thought, I just saw today on Sig's site that they offer fullsize threaded barrels... So this might be knocking the CZ out period...

Just wanted to get peoples takes on the four models. I know a lot of people stick with their 1911's for IDPA, but honestly I just don't feel like feeding that thing more than I already do. Just want to get into IDPA with a pistol that can progress with me when I find out it's limitations or ways I can have it interface with me more reliably.

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    Having competed with both a Glock 34 and a CZ 75 SP-01, I can say hands down go with the CZ. Also, if you go CZ, don't go decocker. Get the manual safety as you can make the trigger better. The CZ will also allow you to be competitive in USPSA when you get tired of IDPgAy and rage quit. This will probably only take 6 months or so with current and impeding rule sets.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Details on why the CZ over the Glock? Do you know of any local FFL's with the SP-01 in stock? Why did you go with the SP-01 over the P-09? And final question... Did you end up having to tear apart the SP-01 to polish basically everything inside besides the upgrades in the springs and firing pin?

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I currently shoot a PPQ and it does well. However, with the purchase of a new SP-01 and comparing my accuracy of the two, I am going to switch to the SP-01. I also have the P-09 and may use that as well.

Hit up Gary at High Rock Outfitters (IP)... That's who I got mine from.

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    The weight, the feel (ergonomics), the trigger. It basically has very low felt recoil with 125 power factor ammo. As far as polishing it up, take a look at Prof Atlas thread on the CZ section of Brian Enos' forum. There's an entire tutorial in there. I personally bought mine ready to go from CZ Custom, but, if you are mechanically inclined, it's not that bad to get the trigger very nice. It's about $350 worth of parts over the stock Shadow. As far as who local might carry one, the only shop I know of that stocks CZ stuff now is 2A Sales in Jessup. I'm sure there are others that will chime in here with other dealers.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Just stopped by 2A lastnight for the first time and they had a CZ Customs SP-01, but I felt like it was a bit too much (hardware) for me just getting into it. Felt like it might have been a better idea to get and SP-01, if I go that route, and dial it in to what I want.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    When I started idpa.. I used my xdm 9.. Then tried sig 226 couple matches.. Now I just use g 34.

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    Glock hands down. It is the most popular IDPA gun for a reason. The aftermarket support for this gun is massive! It can easily be configured however you want. I am a huge fan of CZ's too, but I recommend a glock due to the consistent striker fired trigger pull. You can basically customize the trigger however you want.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I've been competing with a GLOCK 34 in SSP, or ESP since about 2002 or so and have no reason to stop.
    Here are some of the reasons.
    The gun works.
    I have only had 1-2 issues and they could have been avoided with better maintenance practices on my part.
    Parts are cheap, and readily available.
    Magazines can be had for under $20.
    There are more aftermarket gizmos available for GLOCK than could be counted in a day.
    In an emergency I can disassemble the entire gun with a ballpoint pen. This is important to me as I have found myself replacing a broken trigger spring sitting in a field between stages in a major match.
    I'm sure there are platforms out there that are just as good, or better but that ugly gun works works for me.
    S&W once gave me a M&P Pro for $199 and I traded it away without ever shooting it because I couldn't figure out what it would do that the GLOCK couldn't

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There is a lot that depends on the mood of your club and what you hope to accomplish. If you are new, it doesn't really matter what you get as long as it is affordable, and you can shoot it proficiently, if you care about score, something SSP legal might be a benefit. Equipment specifics aren't as big of a deal as other games, but generally a full size or long slide GLOCK or M&P tend to be popular, ESP and CDP are ruled by 2011s and 1911s, but most any decent SAO can work. Once you get a couple years in, are at events that are more competitive, and care about your score, then you will know what pistol you want to go to. Personally I opted for an M&P pro 5", but good tall adjustable sights (FO front helps) and an internal trigger job are about all you really need.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    When I started idpa.. I used my xdm 9.. Then tried sig 226 couple matches.. Now I just use g 34.

Would you mind explaining why you went Glock in the long run?

Although I shoot a G34, and I am not going to change that anytime soon, I say go with the CZ.

I'm slightly confused on your comment. If you're content with the Glock why recommend the CZ? Is it because you know the Glock already and don't want to change? Or is it that you mean if you're starting out go with the CZ and go from there?

There is a lot that depends on the mood of your club and what you hope to accomplish. If you are new, it doesn't really matter what you get as long as it is affordable, and you can shoot it proficiently, if you care about score, something SSP legal might be a benefit. Equipment specifics aren't as big of a deal as other games, but generally a full size or long slide GLOCK or M&P tend to be popular, ESP and CDP are ruled by 2011s and 1911s, but most any decent SAO can work. Once you get a couple years in, are at events that are more competitive, and care about your score, then you will know what pistol you want to go to. Personally I opted for an M&P pro 5", but good tall adjustable sights (FO front helps) and an internal trigger job are about all you really need.

I totally agree with this. This is part of the reason I don't want to buy a fully done comp gun, because right now I need to work on other things rather than slicking up the gun. Working with a firearm that is new is a challenge, but I'd like to dial things in that I know mechanically could benefit me later when I need to do them. Basically I don't want to get stuck with a handgun that I regret getting.

Funny enough I'm not hearing anyone chime in on the Sig's, but it seems to be a split on the Glock and CZ, but not too much on why from the people who say CZ.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Would you mind explaining why you went Glock in the long run?.
    Just to have a gun dedicated to idpa and uspsa.

Xdm its OK.. Just shot too many rounds on it.
    Was gonna buy the longer barrel xdm.. But saw the 34 in the shop and got it instead.

Sig. Didn't like the double action pull on first shot.

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the p229 is SA/DA correct? If so I'll need to get some opinions from striker fire Sig people. It would make sense though that the initial long pull in a SA/DA could throw your first shot.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the p229 is SA/DA correct? If so I'll need to get some opinions from striker fire Sig people. It would make sense though that the initial long pull in a SA/DA could throw your first shot.
    Yes. Classic sigs are mostly da/sa.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    If you know anyone at the club that has these handguns can you try and come up with a day to give them a test run?

To me a gun has to feel like it fits in my hand as comfortable as a stock gun can without modification. Manipulation of the controls has to be as easy as possible and able to be done with a minimum amount of grip change possible.

For me that gun is a Glock, specifically the 34 although I shot a 17 for a few years until I got the 34.

If you can borrow some friends guns at the range and run through some drills with them, that will be a big step in determining what is best for you.

After that, you can determine what trigger and sight modifications you want to make. You can buy a CZ and slick it up all you want, but if it doesn't fit you, you won't like it and odds are you won't shoot it well.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Would you mind explaining why you went Glock in the long run?

I'm slightly confused on your comment. If you're content with the Glock why recommend the CZ? Is it because you know the Glock already and don't want to change? Or is it that you mean if you're starting out go with the CZ and go from there?

I totally agree with this. This is part of the reason I don't want to buy a fully done comp gun, because right now I need to work on other things rather than slicking up the gun. Working with a firearm that is new is a challenge, but I'd like to dial things in that I know mechanically could benefit me later when I need to do them. Basically I don't want to get stuck with a handgun that I regret getting.

Funny enough I'm not hearing anyone chime in on the Sig's, but it seems to be a split on the Glock and CZ, but not too much on why from the people who say CZ.

I'd been shooting Glocks heavily and well long before I took up Action pistol sports. I don't have the time or money to invest in reworking my technique. But were I to start fresh with the knowledge I have I would go with CZ for all the reasons that have been stated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom