• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    When you are ready, I can help you with your first Garand. I own many and will be putting two on GunBroker this week. And, I am willing to provide terms if we can settle a deal in 90 days or less. CMP is your best source price wise but their inventory is getting low and you don't have a choice of manufacturers anymore. I will allow you to inspect, help educate you and permit a test firing if you like.

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Ret-'84)
    Laurel, MD

Are you looking strictly to sell or would you entertain trades?

carpecervisi

Feb 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    When you are ready, I can help you with your first Garand. I own many and will be putting two on GunBroker this week. And, I am willing to provide terms if we can settle a deal in 90 days or less. CMP is your best source price wise but their inventory is getting low and you don't have a choice of manufacturers anymore. I will allow you to inspect, help educate you and permit a test firing if you like.

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Ret-'84)
    Laurel, MD

Lew-

Sent you a PM. I'm very interesting in discussing what you may have.

Cheers,
    -chad

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Update;

So, I had taken it to the range, and one particular clip was having trouble feeding, so I set it aside with a question mark on it. I had read Tankers had issues, so I wanted Charlie Maloney to look at it. I finally got it down to him this afternoon, and he was extremely patient with me. I don't think he was really impressed with my tacticool tanker brake, but that is the extent of my Garand gunsmithing. The main issue was the stock rubbing, which he said was slowing the action. He dremmeled the stock a bit, and put some linseed oil on to protect it. He cleaned, inspected and lubed it. My rear sight elevation knob is worn, so I do have to replace it soon. The throat, muzzle, receiver, gas cylinder, barrel straightness, op rod, all good. Timing good, headpsace good, and he did a trigger job because the trigger was pretty bad. Well worth the money. He took the time to explain everything to me. Great, knowledgeable guy.

Attachments

• 20181023_185655.jpg
      20181023_185655.jpg
      48.3 KB · Views: 286

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Nice boomer. Glad it functions.
    I had troubles with new Parkerized clips loading in my 308 Garand. Sandpaper and Oxpho Blue took care of the drag. The shoulder on 308 is a hair wider than the same location on the side of 30-06, so rough clips can drag. Blued clops are no problem.
    If you want to single load rather than always load a full clip, you can get a "SLED" or Single Loading Enhancement Device, which is a modified clip that holds one round and doesn't eject after firing. I got them for the slow fire in matches. This loads correctly. Just pop a round in and release the bolt. No worry about slamming shut single loading. They cost about $10. Midway/Garandgear and others.
    Also you can get 2 round clips that do eject. Much easier than crossing two in a regular clip. I also have a couple of these for highpower matches for the rapid fire (2 shots, reload with a full clip.
    5 round clips are also available for hunting in states with 5 round magazine rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom