Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 10th, 2021, 03:43 PM #11

I have an xdm in 10mm, the 45 is just a hair smaller but has 13+1 capacity. The xdm is an amazing platform
DocPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 03:46 PM #12

Ugly is ok in a woods gun. You don't have to stress about getting it scratched or rusty so you'll carry it when you need it.
IronEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 03:50 PM #13

Taking as a given that you have decided upon a full size double stack .45acp , ( and it's not a terrible choice ), the answer is simple :

Whichever one you like/ shoot well .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 04:02 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros240 View Post
So far I am leaning toward the FNX since that one have a 15+1 capacity and being polymer frame also meant that it will be light enough to take around, and having full ambi controls is a big plus in my opinion
A buddy of mine has one. It is huge, blocky, heavy, has a rough texture, and feels unbalanced in my hand. And light weight? Have you weighed 16 rounds of 45acp? The gun is no lightweight by any measure.

Get what you want and what feels best to you, but I hope you actually get to hold a fully loaded FNX before you decide. What looks good on paper and spec sheets often look way different when you're holding it in your hand.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
-Declaration of Independence 7/4/1776
Bisleyfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 04:14 PM #15
American Patriot

American Patriot

Op, the .45 ACP is a low pressure caliber, which as has been said, is good for shooting people, not so much big animals. Here is a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gtTEEm1-1A

For most of my life, I have carried a sidearm in the woods. Most of the time it has been a .44 Magnum. If I were still hunting and camping today, it would be a Glock 20. 10mm ammo will become more available in the future. You can also get Lone Wolf 9mm barrel to practice with.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 04:26 PM #16

Quote:
Thinking about picking up a 45 handgun for my solo camping adventures, figured 45 should be a decent middle ground for both anti human and anti animals.
What would some good options for this role? For me ammo capacity is a must so most single stacks are out of the question, and I've been looking up FNX 45, USP 45, CZ 97, and maybe the M&P 45 if I can find one. I know theres good options such as the HK 45 or the Glock 21, but personally I find both of those ugly and if theyre ugly I won't take them out to train as much, so that's a no go.

Let me know your recommendations or experience with those!
Camping anywhere in MD, you would need a CCW unless private property. Outside of that, local surrounding states, nothing more then a shotgun would be needed "maybe" to scare off a bear (which I doubt). For anti-human, if you are scared to be in the woods camping by yourself; don't go. Odds are you are in more danger in MD walking to your front door from your car, then in dark isolated woods most people are scared to be in by themselves for really no reason.

Best thing for camping is a dog for so many reasons.
deathracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 04:29 PM #17

NRA Endowment Member
Rifleman

NRA Endowment Member
Rifleman

Quote:
I was also debating on a 10mm, but main issue is the price of 10mm means that I won't be able to train with it as much, and I'd much rather have a gun that I am comfortable with than a gun that is more powerful but less comfortable. Also I've read up on some 45 vs bear encounters it seems like it is still effective, just need to shoot the bear a few more times hence my requirement of a double stack.

So far I am leaning toward the FNX since that one have a 15+1 capacity and being polymer frame also meant that it will be light enough to take around, and having full ambi controls is a big plus in my opinion
If you're thinking about the Glock 21, remember that you can buy just the upper half and turn it into a Glock 20. Best of both worlds.

I went with the 20 because 46 rounds of 10mm is a lot of "leave me alone".
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 04:40 PM #18

What type of handgun do you own currently and shoot the most ?
Johnconlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 05:17 PM #19

Ever considered a revolver? The S&W 625 is an excellent choice. Using moon clips is fast and and easy, and your ammo choices can run the gamut from standard ball to 45 super. Of course, if ammo capacity is at the forefront, this suggestion is moot. I readily admit that gunfights on camping trips present a real challenge with only six shots
Attached Images

python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 05:17 PM #20

Lots of glock lovers, and that's ok, but check out the Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 full size 45. '''Tis a great feeling and shooting pistol, silly reliable, and pretty easy carrying.

Be sure to check with the campsites, many have "no guns" rules. If you are lucky enough to have a place to camp on your own i am jealous.

TD
miles71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns