Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rimfire
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2021, 02:13 PM #1
mpollan1 mpollan1 is online now
Marcus Aurelius Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Мэриленд
Posts: 610
mpollan1 mpollan1 is online now
Marcus Aurelius Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Мэриленд
Posts: 610
Just scored a 1975 10/22 - 114 Serial #

Was helping somebody with a move from a home that was in his family for 50+ years. Unearthed a 10/22 which was unfortunately in the unconditioned garage and it ended up in my possession. A bit rough with surface pitting on the barrel but everything seems to function as it should. Gonna give it a good cleaning and can't wait to pop off a few. Anything I should pay particular attention to?
mpollan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 02:21 PM #2
trickg's Avatar
trickg trickg is online now
Guns 'n Drums
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 9,795
trickg trickg is online now
Guns 'n Drums
trickg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 9,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpollan1 View Post
Was helping somebody with a move from a home that was in his family for 50+ years. Unearthed a 10/22 which was unfortunately in the unconditioned garage and it ended up in my possession. A bit rough with surface pitting on the barrel but everything seems to function as it should. Gonna give it a good cleaning and can't wait to pop off a few. Anything I should pay particular attention to?
Is there something significant about the year or the serial number? It's not particularly early and the number isn't particularly low - just a run-of-the-mil Ruger 10/22. Mind you, a 10/22 is a neat little rifle to have - I have one as well - but other than checking to see that the bore is intact, I wouldn't think that there'd be anything else to worry about other than making sure it was clean and lubricated.
__________________
TrickG
"My name is Gladiator" -- Maximus Decimus Meridius
trickg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 02:24 PM #3
mpollan1 mpollan1 is online now
Marcus Aurelius Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Мэриленд
Posts: 610
mpollan1 mpollan1 is online now
Marcus Aurelius Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Мэриленд
Posts: 610
Yeah not my only 10/22 but it's the oldest gun I have, has a walnut stock, and it was free. I get all that you are saying but I'm still jazzed.
mpollan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 02:38 PM #4
Sirex's Avatar
Sirex Sirex is offline
Powered by natural gas
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Carroll Co, MD
Posts: 7,554
Images: 1
Sirex Sirex is offline
Powered by natural gas
Sirex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Carroll Co, MD
Posts: 7,554
Images: 1
Thats cool. I would love a 1975 gun, because, I too was built in 1975.
__________________
A student said to the master in the garden, "You teach me fighting, but talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"

The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war."


"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."
Sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 03:44 PM #5
trickg's Avatar
trickg trickg is online now
Guns 'n Drums
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 9,795
trickg trickg is online now
Guns 'n Drums
trickg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 9,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpollan1 View Post
Yeah not my only 10/22 but it's the oldest gun I have, has a walnut stock, and it was free. I get all that you are saying but I'm still jazzed.
Apologies - that's not how I intended it to be. It's definitely a cool score and one I would have loved to have gotten.

It's interesting that at 46 years old it's your oldest gun because on the grand scheme of things, 1975 is still relatively new given firearm longevity. My Dad was 40 when I was born in 1970, so I inherited a number of guns that he bought new that predate my birth by a good bit.

How bad was the rust/pitting on the barrel? Another question - do 10/22s have serial numbers on the barrel? At some point you could always rebarrel it if that's the only part that had significant rust on it, and it probably wouldn't cost much.
__________________
TrickG
"My name is Gladiator" -- Maximus Decimus Meridius
trickg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 04:04 PM #6
mpollan1 mpollan1 is online now
Marcus Aurelius Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Мэриленд
Posts: 610
mpollan1 mpollan1 is online now
Marcus Aurelius Wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Мэриленд
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
Apologies - that's not how I intended it to be. It's definitely a cool score and one I would have loved to have gotten.

It's interesting that at 46 years old it's your oldest gun because on the grand scheme of things, 1975 is still relatively new given firearm longevity. My Dad was 40 when I was born in 1970, so I inherited a number of guns that he bought new that predate my birth by a good bit.

How bad was the rust/pitting on the barrel? Another question - do 10/22s have serial numbers on the barrel? At some point you could always rebarrel it if that's the only part that had significant rust on it, and it probably wouldn't cost much.
No apology needed friend, I did not take anything you wrote in the negative. I'm first generation Polok with my folks arriving here in the early 50s so no generational gun buying/ownership. My father had no interest in hunting or guns in general so my oldest gun prior to this was/is a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Rem my father purchased for me so I had my own gun to hunt with my uncle.

Anyway, if this 10/22 proves reliable and relatively accurate it will stay as is and join a couple others as training guns for other folks and/or something I would toss in my trunk unprotected without concern.

I'll likely just oil up some 0000 steel wool and give the barrel a light once over unless you or somebody else has something better.

Cheers
mpollan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 04:15 PM #7
Bisleyfan44's Avatar
Bisleyfan44 Bisleyfan44 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wicomico
Posts: 1,495
Bisleyfan44 Bisleyfan44 is online now
Senior Member
Bisleyfan44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wicomico
Posts: 1,495
They're pretty bulletproof little guns. I'd run a bronze brush and some patches through the bore, but otherwise I'd bet it'll shoot just fine. Congrats on the find!
__________________
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
-Declaration of Independence 7/4/1776
Bisleyfan44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 04:18 PM #8
KiloTango's Avatar
KiloTango KiloTango is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 15
KiloTango KiloTango is offline
Junior Member
KiloTango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 15
Good find! For something that has been in extended storage, I generally add CLP to all mating and moving parts (including receiver pins, V-block screws) before disassembly. This mobilizes some of the fine grit/rust and makes the tear down easier. I also avoid unnecessary dry firing before cleaning in case there is surface rust on the sear contact surfaces. A full teardown will definitely be worth the effort. It would not surprise me if it runs smooth after a good scrubdown.
KiloTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2021, 04:23 PM #9
trickg's Avatar
trickg trickg is online now
Guns 'n Drums
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 9,795
trickg trickg is online now
Guns 'n Drums
trickg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 9,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpollan1 View Post
I'll likely just oil up some 0000 steel wool and give the barrel a light once over unless you or somebody else has something better.

Cheers
Dad, who was a part-time gunsmith, would have done pretty much exactly that - he'd have used WD-40, scrubbed off the rust, then either oiled it, or depending on the gun, he may have touched it up with Brownell's Oxpho Blue, which is a cold blue - doesn't really go deep or wear very well, but can add some color where it's been rubbed off.
__________________
TrickG
"My name is Gladiator" -- Maximus Decimus Meridius
trickg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2021, 12:46 PM #10
offthepaper's Avatar
offthepaper offthepaper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,948
offthepaper offthepaper is offline
Senior Member
offthepaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirex View Post
Thats cool. I would love a 1975 gun, because, I too was built in 1975.
cool.
one of my Garands and I share the same month, year of creation.
__________________
Always remember the Boy Scout Motto...
offthepaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rimfire


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service