• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I went to the range yesterday and took three .22 cal. rifles with me. These included a 10/22 takedown, a Marlin 39A and a Ruger 96/22. All three are really nice rifles and fun to shoot. The Ruger 96/22 is probably the most accurate of the three but maybe because it's got a pretty nice scope or for some reason, I just shoot it a little better. I would think the Marlin would be more accurate but it's got a cheap scope and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. At 85 yards my groups were about an inch with all three and maybe a little tighter with the 96/22. That was with a bench rest. Pretty good for me. Anyhow, lots of fun shooting all three. Also shot the Baretta M9/22. Great pistol and 15 round Mags which is pretty unusual for a .22 cal pistol. The 10/22 has the new Bug Buster scope that Hawkeye talked me into getting on one of his posts. Managed to get the dog and both feet in the picture!

Attachments

• IMG_20181121_172213474.jpg
      IMG_20181121_172213474.jpg
      108.5 KB · Views: 966
    Last edited:

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Yeah the 96/22's are great guns and fun to shoot. I have two of them. One is a current safe queen for my son when he gets older and the other is a beater I take out and shoot and use for Boy Scouts. Only lever action I can use for them (something interesting to shoot) as it has a box magazine instead of a tube.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Nice, ive always wanted a nice model 39, i just cant find the deal i am willing to pay for one.

I got lucky a few years ago when I got the bug for a 39A. I was wanting one in the worst way (not a good feeling) and was in a little gun shop in Delaware and asked the guy if he had one. He went into another room and got one out of the safe. He wanted $400 for it and took $390 cash OTD. Probably one of the best deals I've ever gotten on a firearm. It's in great condition with some honest wear for a gun 56 years old.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I got lucky a few years ago when I got the bug for a 39A. I was wanting one in the worst way (not a good feeling) and was in a little gun shop in Delaware and asked the guy if he had one. He went into another room and got one out of the safe. He wanted $400 for it and took $390 cash OTD. Probably one of the best deals I've ever gotten on a firearm. It's in great condition with some honest wear for a gun 56 years old.

I agree, thats a fine deal for a nice model 39

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Old Saying is..

Regarding a quality, righteous firearm. Sometimes you can pay to much, some times a tad early, but you'll always regret not doing so.:mad54:

I bought my Marlin 39A Golden used/near new circa 1987 for $150.00. Big chunk out of my budget in those days. I wish I could have bought more.:party29:

Rob

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It's really a shame Ruger does not make any lever guns, esp. the 22.

[EDIT] It's really a shame Ruger does not make any lever guns any more

Still, good to see these; very nice and thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    It's really a shame Ruger does not make any lever guns, esp. the 22.

Still, good to see these; very nice and thanks for posting.

The gun at the top of the picture is a Ruger 96\22. Basically a 10-22 with a lever. Takes the same mags as the 10-22. I think they only made them for a few years.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I've always wanted a lever 22, but just can't convince myself to pay the price. My first gun at age 8 was an Ithaca 49 Saddle Gun, 22 single shot. It looks like a traditional lever gun, but it's a falling block like a Martini Henry. I still have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom