• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    The small company I am working for is going thru some serious growing pains due to expansion. I need one worker to help with trash outs, snow removal, lawn care, plus some light carpentry and some plumbing experience is a plus. The payroll system has not been formalized so it will be $13 an hour on a 1099 then there will be a raise later on to make up the difference from taxes.

Note that this person will be working directly under me for the most part and my online persona is pretty much the same as in person . If I piss you off online your really going to hate me in person.

Requirements

Drivers licence with less then 3 points
    Be able to pass a DOT physical
    Be able to use power tools with out harming yourself or others.
    Be able to bend, stoop and carry 50 lbs plus
    Be local to Frederick MD
    Not be a snowflake, a phallus , pothead or a complete mental midget. Also I tend to use my four letter vocabulary quite a bit so thick skin is also required.

A valid CDL is going to be highly desirable and will mean higher pay negotiated with my boss. PM resumes with contact information and times you would like to set up interviews.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Since you asked......Does your boss honestly think he's going to get carpentry experience and plumbing experience for $13.00 an hour?

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    Sounds like foreclosure work? And yea it sounds like your asking alot for alittle pay. Did that kind of work 3ish years ago, was paid 12 an hour with taxes taking out. Didnt need a DOT card, and surely didnt need a CDL

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Sounds like foreclosure work? And yea it sounds like your asking alot for alittle pay. Did that kind of work 3ish years ago, was paid 12 an hour with taxes taking out. Didnt need a DOT card, and surely didnt need a CDL

This is exactly like foreclosure work and the DOT physical is for driving the company trucks. The CDL is Something that will get a bit more then 13 an hour which will be negotiated by my boss. Due to the expanding the payroll system is not yet in place with everything else (Damn Lawyer is taking their sweet ass time ). The purposed raise will be to cover taxes so your take home rate will not change from the initial pay. Not that there will not be merit raises as time goes along. As I said growing pains. The company is going from one crew being ran by the owner to about 3 with me running the warehouse and doing special projects. I can not do it all and I need to groom my successor to either take my place or to run a crew which will enable me to move up. What you make in the beginning is not what your always going to make . Opportunity is there to make money if your willing to work for it. Figured I would give first crack at MDS before I posted an add on craigslist.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    You had my interest until you mentioned power tools and hurting myself .............................................

Me being self employed the 13.00 an hour is a raise for me so that is nice .

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    My initial reaction is that pay is too low. I generally pay my carpentry helpers or laborers around $15.00/hr. A guy that has a some skillls and that I can leave alone on a job, but check on a few times a day is $20.00. If you really know your stuff and I can send you on the job and not worry or check in you, that’s $25.00.

salopez

Apr 11, 2011
    Mt airy Md
    To bechonost the 1099 part had me concerned...
    You provide tools
    You schedule
    You direct daily
    That makescmecan employee not sub contractor and is a big no no in md .

I am working with comptroller on this issue right now for myself, luckily we have been doing it right.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I employ tradesman all the time - the universal gripe amongst them is people wont work for them for $15.00 to start with no expected skills or experience. The 1099 thing sounds like you aren't a "real" company and as I understand it is probably not altogether legal if your "independent contractors" ONLY work for you they aren't really "independent". I would suggest drastically lowering your expectations of skill and experience or adding several dollars to the wage and get the lawyers to figure out the 1099 thing.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    To bechonost the 1099 part had me concerned...
    You provide tools
    You schedule
    You direct daily
    That makescmecan employee not sub contractor and is a big no no in md .

I am working with comptroller on this issue right now for myself, luckily we have been doing it right.

Yeah, Maryland has really cracked down on this. Over the past decade, I have represented a couple of clients that were audited by DLLR over the 1099 issue. They were all in the construction business and one of them had issued $2 million in 1099's a year for several years. We avoided most of the damage, but it was hard fought and my clients had to pay me to deal with it.

If I am not mistaken, there is a law in Maryland that targets this issue specifically in construction and landscaping.

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    At $13.00 an hour and you provide tools and direction they are employees without a doubt. And don't forget if they get hurt on the job they will be looking to your workers comp insurance for coverage.

Our firm helps small businesses like yours navigate this stuff - be glad to talk with you.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    At least Sheetz and Wa-Wa give benefits at $11/hr! So someone with experience is only worth $2/hr more than a burger flipper or sandwich maker? My BIL is in construction and he pays his people $20/hr and any day laborers a flat $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom