• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Hello folks,

Just curious on how often you are taking down your Marlin model 60's for cleaning. I've heard of detailed cleaning intervals anywhere from 250 to 1,000rounds (and actually, in some cases, never :eek:). Mine's new and I have about 300 rounds through it. It's functioning fine and I've pretty much just pulled the bore snake through it on a regular basis and blown the action out (gun fully assembled) with light compressed air. When should I take it down?

Thanks!

ST.243

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    I've had my marlin 60 and 795s apart once. I typically run a boresnake through them and call it a day. I once detail cleaned a used Savage 64 and while there was some areas that needed to be cleaned...it wasn't too horrible either.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Twice in 30 years.... Just take some Q-tips dipped in solvent and wipe out the chamber and bolt area real good every time you shoot it and keep the throat and the barrel clean and you'll be good to go.... Pay special attention to the extractor and notch for the extractor so crap doesn't build up in the notch cut-out.....

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    Take it down every chance you get...as in take it down to the range and shoot it! I got one back in 98 for a birthday present from my father. My first real gun. In that time I have only taken it down for a detailed top to bottom scrubbing twice, and I say twice because I can only remember one time so I'm guessing on the high side. Patch and scrub the barrel every once in a while and drop some oil in the action but not reay any more than that. I remember when I was still in school I would spend my whole summer shooting that thing whenever i wasn't playing lacrosse, there were times when that barrel would get so hot I couldn't load the tube mag without burning my fingers. It still runs like a champ. Don't think I have ever seen it stove pipe or do anything but go bang. There's something to be said about those little rifles.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I pull a bore snake through mine directly after shooting, other than hosing it down with some solvent then oil, never thought much of taking it down any further ....

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Taking the bolt out is not bad on a 60. I do it once in a while. I have only once taken the trigger mechanism aprt for cleaning. This tutorial on Rimfire central for this.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    depending on the age you may want to refresh it. Mine is over 20 years old and was not ejecting right..... A $60 kit from Marlin (run by Remington now) fixed it to like new. And a good time to clean it.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    What he says!

Just take some Q-tips dipped in solvent and wipe out the chamber and bolt area real good every time you shoot it and keep the throat and the barrel clean and you'll be good to go.... Pay special attention to the extractor and notch for the extractor so crap doesn't build up in the notch cut-out.....

Exactly right. :thumbsup:

And boresnake the barrel (rarely needs a wire bore-brush) after each range-visit. The Marlin 60 design is very tolerant of crud.

6.5Savage and ScrewTop have good ideas too. Taking it to the range OFTEN and blowing it out with compressed-air after a cursory cleaning are both heartily endorsed. I'm gonna steal those both.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Unless it was clean, mine would jam frequently. The crappy ammo I used to feed it didn't help much. There was always a ton of unburned gunpowder in the action.

I don't use junk rounds anymore. Better ammo = more funner.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Unless it was clean, mine would jam frequently. The crappy ammo I used to feed it didn't help much. There was always a ton of unburned gunpowder in the action.

I don't use junk rounds anymore. Better ammo = more funner.

Agreed! When you're talking only pennies a round, don't be a cheap bastard and skimp-- pay the extra 1 cent and get CCI-- as clean as .22 ammo gets and never a problem...

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Twice in 30 years.... Just take some Q-tips dipped in solvent and wipe out the chamber and bolt area real good every time you shoot it and keep the throat and the barrel clean and you'll be good to go.... Pay special attention to the extractor and notch for the extractor so crap doesn't build up in the notch cut-out.....

I pull a bore snake through mine directly after shooting, other than hosing it down with some solvent then oil, never thought much of taking it down any further ....

THIS!!!!!

It's probably been at least 30yrs since my father gave me mine, and I've never taken it apart. Probably have about 30K+ rounds of Remington Thunderbolt through it with no issues. I clean just like the above posters do.
    It's easily my favorite firearm to shoot.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Hello folks,

Just curious on how often you are taking down your Marlin model 60's for cleaning. I've heard of detailed cleaning intervals anywhere from 250 to 1,000rounds (and actually, in some cases, never :eek:). Mine's new and I have about 300 rounds through it. It's functioning fine and I've pretty much just pulled the bore snake through it on a regular basis and blown the action out (gun fully assembled) with light compressed air. When should I take it down?

Thanks!

ST.243

Maybe Im in the minority - but the Model 60 is about one of the easiest firearm to field strip. You only need a phillips screwdriver. Once you remove the 2 screws that holds the stock to the action, the rest is just squeeze pins, and the action comes apart.The bolt handle comes right out once you remove the action. You be surprised how much shit gets blownback into the action. You'll know when its time to clean it - the action feels gritty when you pull back the charge handle. I generally clean after a brick of ammo.,

Take a can of gun scrubber (I use brake clean) once the action is out of the reciever, and flush out all the garbage, and gunk. Lube everything with quality gunoil. The barrel can also be cleaned from the breech end with a cleaning rod with it apart, and the reciever can be easily cleaned. Its not rocket science. You'll find the action is far more smoother, and jams caused by a coked up action is non existent. You also dont get shit blown into your face from a dirty action.

I dont care to just spray brake clean in the action with gun together, all that does is run dirty gunk allover the stock, and inside it. And some spray cleaners are not friendly to stock finishes.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Thank you all for your replies. I've finally caught the .22 rimfire "fever" after years of shooting only centerfire stuff. I'm also glad to see that someone started a thread on the cleanest .22 lr ammo, as I also have an SR-22 (and will soon get a youth model CZ for my son). This will be helpful information.

I've seen the takedown videos for the Model 60 and it looks pretty straight forward, so I should be able to handle that when the time comes.

I did stock up on the Federal value packs (550 rounds) and they seem to shoot pretty well. I did buy some CCI "Velociter" as well, because I was pretty impressed with the advertised 1,425 fps. Seemed like they would be good to have on hand for a fat groundhog. I noticed that they had about 1" less drop at 100 yards than the Federals - no surprise I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom